News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick

The Stanley Thompson Challenge
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »
To the end of this playing season (late September), the Fairmont Hotel group are offering a good deal on Stanley Thompson's Banff Springs and Jasper Park golf courses. Pay the rack rate on one, play the other for Can$25.00.

My wife and I recently took the challenge. At the end of your second round at whichever course, you are asked to vote for your favorite.

Ultimately, we split our ballot and for interesting reasons. Rather than spill the beans now, I'd be curious about the opinions of forum members who've had the pleasure of playing both courses. I'd like to know which course you personally favored and why.

I'll weigh in with our ballots in due course, not wanting to bias any opinions with ours.

Jed Peters

Re: The Stanley Thompson Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:49:50 AM »
Jasper, by a long shot.

Best mountain course I've played to date.

Banff had too many "similar" holes--many of the par 4s felt the same--especially the ones going towards the hotel.

Jasper is as fine a par 68 course I think you would find in the world.

Probably the best set of par 3s I've played in one round.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
 8)

banff views, banff accomodations

jasper play
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jed Peters

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:49:35 AM »
8)

banff views, banff accomodations

jasper play

Banff views, but Jasper accommodations for SURE.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »
They both appeal to different types. My preference was for Jasper. The variety of holes and how they are sequenced being two of my reasons. While the original journey and surroundings at Banff are all world breathtaking, for both courses to be so close in opinions, speaks volumes about Jasper's design. Another one of the major differences in the two is that most of the GCA at Banff is constructed on top of the ground, while at Jasper the ground is the GCA.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:33:48 PM »
Jasper, by a long shot.

Best mountain course I've played to date.

Banff had too many "similar" holes--many of the par 4s felt the same--especially the ones going towards the hotel.

Jasper is as fine a par 68 course I think you would find in the world.

Probably the best set of par 3s I've played in one round.

That's saying something about the quality of the par 3s at Jasper, as I thought the five at Banff were about as varied and as fun as you can get!!  Banff is up there with Pacific Dunes, Ballyneal, Kingsley, and a few others when it comes to par 3s.

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:05:38 PM »
Jasper's Par 3 holes I thought were better--

4th hole--long fairway wood (or driver into wind), slightly downhill
7th hole--mid iron, uphill (only slightly)
9th hole--mid iron, extreme downhill
12th hole--long iron, large elevated green
15th hole--short iron, small, elevated green

Banff (new routing)

2nd hole-- Mid iron, flat, large green
4th hole--Mid iron, downhill, small green
8th hole--short iron over water (jasper had a better short hole)
10th hole--long iron, big green, flat
13th hole--long iron, big green

I just thought there was more "variety" at Jasper's par 3s.....

Here's a video of me at the 4th at Banff--the Devil's Cauldron.

http://gallery.me.com/dr.kane#100138/MVI_1594&bgcolor=black

Edit: Pulled left into bunker, almost hit the green keeper!

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »
They are very different courses, surprisingly.

I found Jasper very, very easy and Banff quite difficult (wind had some to do with that). Banff is more spectacular JAsper more understated.  I would guess that GD raters would prefer Banff and GW raters rwould prefer Jasper.

I liked them about the same.

Lodgingwise, Banff is WAY better.

Jed Peters

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »

I found Jasper very, very easy and Banff quite difficult (wind had some to do with that). Banff is more spectacular JAsper more understated.  I would guess that GD raters would prefer Banff and GW raters rwould prefer Jasper.

See, that's interesting points.

Re: Difficulty, I played like crap at both places.

I had no less than 3 birdies every round, and went 75/80 at Banff, and 76/76 at Jasper. Both rounds were from the tips.

They were both easy courses, IMHO.

That being said, I still felt that Jasper was the better golf course, albeit it should have been a par 68.

re: lodging.

We had Executive Suites at both locations.

Banff felt cramped (and we were told we had the biggest adjoining master suites other than the whole-floor suites at the top of the castle, while the cabin we shared at Jasper was spacious, open, and inviting.

Jasper felt more like a "lodge/resort", while Banff felt more like a hotel

I've

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »

See, that's interesting points.

Re: Difficulty, I played like crap at both places.

I had no less than 3 birdies every round, and went 75/80 at Banff, and 76/76 at Jasper. Both rounds were from the tips.

They were both easy courses, IMHO.

That being said, I still felt that Jasper was the better golf course, albeit it should have been a par 68.

re: lodging.

We had Executive Suites at both locations.

Banff felt cramped (and we were told we had the biggest adjoining master suites other than the whole-floor suites at the top of the castle, while the cabin we shared at Jasper was spacious, open, and inviting.

Jasper felt more like a "lodge/resort", while Banff felt more like a hotel

I've

Jed, again, the wind played a factor at Banff. The holes heading towards the Hotel were into the wind and brutally long. But there were  more holes with high grasses and placs you could make big numbers at Banff. I don'tremeber what i shot at each but I was always around par at Jasper and high 70s low 80's at Banff..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back