News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

A study in bunkering -- Flossmoor and several others
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:29:20 AM »
In a recent review of Flossmoor Country Club in Chicago’s south suburbs:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41166.0/

I noted that one of the most notable features of the renovation work there by architect Raymond Hearn is the bunker work on the course. Virtually every bunker on the course was redone, with Hearn adopting a style of bunkering often associated with Golden Age architects George Thomas and Alister Mackenzie.

The bunkers have distinctive edging -- what others have described as lacey-edged. It was a marked departure from what had been there before, in which the bunkers at Flossmoor had – with a few major exceptions – a more even, curvilinear edging.

Hearn, in explaining the bunker work at Flossmoor, said architect H.J. Tweedie was best known for his routing and green complexes, but not his bunker design. In an email, Hearn explained his decision to use the new bunkering style at Flossmoor:

“…(T)his style is somewhat limited in the Great Lakes region. This selection was a bold move, but I have never had second thoughts about this selection for Flossmoor. In my opinion, a Thomas-style bunker is a ‘throw-back’ to (the) Golden Age of golf course design and evokes a classical look and feel. In terms of bunker styles, I highly favor the Thomas style. I think Thomas and his bunkers were brilliant. Visually these bunkers upgraded the aesthetics of the course significantly while adding great emphasis and definition.”

In general Flossmoor’s bunkers are not that deep. Fairway bunkers are level with the fairway, with no really big lips to get over, and greenside bunkers are not generally dug in, in the manner of a Banks or Langford greenside bunker. Part of the reason for that, it seems, is that Tweedie placed many of his greens as simple extensions of the fairway. It’s notable that the deepest greenside bunkers at Flossmoor are at the7th hole, a par 3 with a crowned green added to the routing in 1915 by Harry Collis, the Chicago-based architect.

Given the dramatic change in bunkering style at Flossmoor, I thought it might be a worthwhile exercise to compare the course’s bunkering to some other classic-era courses I’ve visited recently.  Comments,  observations, and opinions  welcome, of course.

Here are some looks at a few Flossmoor bunkers:

A long fairway bunker on the par 5 1st hole.

A greenside bunker at the par 3 2nd.

Another greenside bunker, this on the par 4 5th hole.

Fairway bunkers lining the left side of the par 4 8th fairway.

Here are some bunkers from Beverly CC, just up the road in Chicago, a Donald Ross course (Ron Prichard recent renovation work). Beverly’s fairway bunkers tend to have high lips; notice how these bunkers hide portions of the fairway and green. These are on the par 4 8th:

Two examples of greenside bunkering at Beverly – the first from the short par 4 1st, and the second from the long par 5 11th. In stark contrast to several greens at Flossmoor, Ross placed nearly all of his greens at Beverly above the fairway, with bunkers dug into the sides. The player who finds himself bunkered greenside at Beverly often has to make a concerted effort to get out them, as the ball will be several feet below the green surface in most cases.

Two shots of the bunkering at the par 3 16th at Olympia Fields (North), which hosted the 2003 U.S. Open (Willie Park, Jr., with recent renovation work by Mark Mungean), which I’d describe  as a muscular look to the bunkering:

The trademark Charles Alison bunkering at Milwaukee CC, with its sharp edging and “flashed-up” look; here are  a series of bunkers between the 5th and 6th holes, both par 4s.

The very deep bunkering at the short par 3 8th; you can stand in the bottom of these bunkers and not see all of the green.

The incredibly sharp edging of Milwaukee’s bunkering; this greenside bunker is on the par 4 13th.

The Langford-Moreau bunkering at Lawsonia Links (photos courtesy of Dan Moore’s Lawsonia thread):

Bunker at the corner of the dogleg of the par 4 3rd hole:

Bunkering on the par 5 11th:

The notable en echelon bunkering on the par 5 13th:

Finally, for some comparison, here are some bunkers from Thomas- and Mackenzie–designed courses culled from GCA threads. (As several GCA posters have noted, along with historians such as Daniel Wexler, Thomas associate Billy Bell played a significant role in influencing and even shaping the design of bunkers at some of Thomas’ best-known works.)

LA North Par 3 16th (Jon Spaulding photo)

Two views of fronting bunker at Bel Air’s  18th; from a 2008 thread by Robert Ball who suggests it’s the closest Thomas-Bell bunker left on this course:

18 green from the swinging bridge:

Early photos of Riveria, from a David Stamm thread:

6th hole:

11th hole:

The Valley Club of Montecito (Mackenzie), from another David Stamm thread:

TEPaul

Re: A study in bunkering -- Flossmoor and several others
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:10 AM »
"The bunkers have distinctive edging -- what others have described as lacey-edged."

Phil:

It may be a small point but the look of the bunkers in those photos (including the top ones) that seem to be also described (by the architect) as "Thomas style" are not what I call the "lacey edged" style. They are more like a "jigsaw edged" style which may've been part of Thomas style particularly before the grass edges really grew out.

Real "lacey edged" bunkers to me are the type that Merion East had in the 1930s that essentially had irregular grass leafing hanging down from the sod turf (which could be of the jigsaw edged variety) into what some of us might call "eyebrows" or even "eyelashes."  ;) The latter tended to look a bit less "maintained."

And the reason the grass leafing hanging down from the edges may've looked that way was because when it was cut it had to be done with a scythe----at least at Merion East anyway-----which tended to make the leafing hanging down over the edges look more jagged, irregular or "lacey".

And then unfortunately, the time arrived when the world was introduced to the mechanized "weedeater" and scythe bunker edge maintenance went the same way as the buggy whip in the age of the automobile!   :'(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:51:12 AM by TEPaul »

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »
Tom:

Jigsaw is probably a better description than lacey-edged; thanks for the insights into how that term came about. I think I borrowed that phrase from a thread that I looked at re. all of these different bunker styles.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
Phil:

Please remember that just because some of these terms and phrases are mine (or used by me) does not necessarily mean that others use them or agree with them.  ;)

My ultimate goal in life is and has always been to get some word or term I invented into the dictionary!   ::) :o ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:51:54 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »
Phil
Didn't Dan Moore post an aerial of Flossmoor last year? It might be useful to repost it and compare it to the present state.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
"The bunkers have distinctive edging -- what others have described as lacey-edged."

Phil:

It may be a small point but the look of the bunkers in those photos (including the top ones) that seem to be also described (by the architect) as "Thomas style" are not what I call the "lacey edged" style. They are more like a "jigsaw edged" style which may've been part of Thomas style particularly before the grass edges really grew out.

Real "lacey edged" bunkers to me are the type that Merion East had in the 1930s that essentially had irregular grass leafing hanging down from the sod turf (which could be of the jigsaw edged variety) into what some of us might call "eyebrows" or even "eyelashes."  ;) The latter tended to look a bit less "maintained."

And the reason the grass leafing hanging down from the edges may've looked that way was because when it was cut it had to be done with a scythe----at least at Merion East anyway-----which tended to make the leafing hanging down over the edges look more jagged, irregular or "lacey".

And then unfortunately, the time arrived when the world was introduced to the mechanized "weedeater" and scythe bunker edge maintenance went the same way as the buggy whip in the age of the automobile!   :'(

TomP

No matter if you callem', lacey or jigsaw, they don't imo work.  There is nothing to tie in the rougher look to anything else in the immediate area.  In other words, the courses are too pristine for this style of bunkering.  As usual, in nearly all the cases less would be more.  These sites just shouldn't have such a sandy element of the bunkers used so often.  Easily the ones that work best for me are those with grass faces which hide the sand yet offer some bold though roundish shaping.  I know, I know, its a great big world out there - only I wish it wasn't dumped on quite so often.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

tlavin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
Phil,

Thanks for the photos; it's an easy way to compare and contrast styles.

It seems to me that the Flossmoor/LACC bunkers (never thought I'd compare those two courses!) are visually more arresting, but I can't help but imagine that they would be devilish to maintain, even with the better fly mowers we have these days.  My other observation about the comparison is that the Flossmoor bunkers seem almost flat when compared with the LACC bunkers.  I'm no bunker expert (not even a "fetishist"), but it seems that Flossmoor chickened out a little bit on the depth issue.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:16:55 PM »
I believe this the aerial Dan Moore posted for Flossmoor. Its my understanding that Harry Collis is the man behind the modern version of the course (post-Tweedie) and it appears to me Hearn took quite a bit of artistic license.

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
Phil,

Nice pics for comparison.  Looking at the Flossmoor bunkers and then looking at the bunkers at LA North, Riviera, Bel Air, Valley Club, etc., I am struck by two things.

1) The edges are--to me--the only reminiscent feature of Flossmoor's new bunkers.  The size, positioning and depth don't necessarily say "Thomas" or "Alister" to me.

2) I am also surprised by your inclusion of Lawsonia pics into the mix.  I feel like an inclusion of a Raynor or Silva's bunker work at Black Creek would prove a great juxtaposition of the sandboxes at Flossmoor.

Just some random Monday musings.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »
I have grown to prefer the more geometric look of Beverly and Lawsonia.

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »
Phil,

Nice pics for comparison.  Looking at the Flossmoor bunkers and then looking at the bunkers at LA North, Riviera, Bel Air, Valley Club, etc., I am struck by two things.

1) The edges are--to me--the only reminiscent feature of Flossmoor's new bunkers.  The size, positioning and depth don't necessarily say "Thomas" or "Alister" to me.

2) I am also surprised by your inclusion of Lawsonia pics into the mix.  I feel like an inclusion of a Raynor or Silva's bunker work at Black Creek would prove a great juxtaposition of the sandboxes at Flossmoor.

Just some random Monday musings.

Ben:

I included Lawsonia because I was sort of trying to place Flossmoor's new bunkers into the context of other well-known or well-regarded Midwestern courses from the classic era. To be honest, I simply didn't think of including either Shoreacres or Chicago GC (neither of which I've seen), largely because I don't have pics of those courses. I did look through some threads on Crystal Downs, but the bunkers there don't seem to be of the same style that Mackenzie used at Montecito or Royal Melbourne.

A larger point I was trying to get at was whether Flossmoor's new bunkers looked right on what is otherwise a Midwestern, parkland course. For me, personally, I'd want to play the course a few more times to get a sense of how they fit in. Lawsonia's bunkers look right on that course, in part because they follow and are in harmony with some of Langford's other bold features on that course. Much of Flossmoor's routing, and notably some of the small greens that are merely extensions of the fairway there, have a wonderful simplicity to them, which stands in contrast to the elaborate edging of the new bunkers there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back