News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Want to play Augusta National? Here's your chance!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »
Can anyone show where it is definitely ANGC....I hope not or there will be someone in trouble....
I have seen one auction where a foursome is auctioned to the golf course of their choice in the State of Georgia....that's as close as I have ever seen it done....Oh well......
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
If it is really ANGC I know a guy on here who will gladly pay 25,000 for him alone.The quest for some things makes us do silly things. lol

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
I think you're all wrong. It's #97 on GD's current list... Ocean Forest...

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »
must be one of the Trump courses. I don't think Augusta even has a waterfall.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »
Cary,

We've all been watching the Masters for a lot of years.  Most of us will not play the Augusta National Golf Club.  I wish you wouldn't put a price on something you've been fortunate to experience that a lot of people haven't and never will.
Pricing something that I would both find meaningful and be willing to pay much more than your stated price makes you sound quite the spoiled brat.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 11:41:52 PM »
I've been drinking tonight and wish I'd kept my thoughts to myself.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:27 AM »
"It is different playing it than watching it from the gallery. From the sides, you really don't get the shot values."

So Cary, I guess you rarely found the fairway off the tee... ;D

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 03:44:49 AM »
Now Philip,
Your surmising that Cary rarely found the fairways sent me into hysterics. A few words can do justice so easily. The last time I laughed out loud at a piece of writing, for as long as I just did, was whilst reading "Three Men in a Boat" about fifty years ago! If you can repeat this performance as Jerome K. Jerome did I tip me hat to you.

Colin 
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 05:04:35 AM »
Colin,

I couldn't help myself! Check your email for an encore that I hope will put you into Mr. Jerome's distinguished company...

Martin Toal

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
"There can only be one". Assuming they were not talking about playing a round with the guy in Highlander, it has to be ANGC.

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »
Very generous of ANGC to participate in this auction, understanding that the Masters is a primary sponsor of the First Tee, but also knowing that the round will go for a huge sum and those proceeds will go a long way in helping kids learn golf in the Charleston area.

Heck I would just like to attend the party at the Sanctuary! :)
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
I played it twice, believe me, it is not worth alot of money.

Greens are very fast if you get above the hole, but they are never tournament fast except for the Masters

Is it worth $500, yes. Above that, I don't know.

It is different playing it than watching it from the gallery. From the sides, you really don't get the shot values.

Why'd you go back? ::) ::)

as far as the greens only being tournament fast in the tournament, that's why they call them "tournament fast" ??? ???

The most coveted invitation in golf and it's not worth what it costs to play Pinehurst,TOC or many public access tracks?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
Plenty of people would pay 25g, and plenty of people with 25 g don't have a member willing to take them, even if they do know a member.....
and my guess is they would feel it was worth, regardless of what they paid or gave up to play
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »
"There can only be one". Assuming they were not talking about playing a round with the guy in Highlander, it has to be ANGC.

Martin, that made me laugh out loud. WELL DONE.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »
Very generous of ANGC to participate in this auction, understanding that the Masters is a primary sponsor of the First Tee, but also knowing that the round will go for a huge sum and those proceeds will go a long way in helping kids learn golf in the Charleston area.

Heck I would just like to attend the party at the Sanctuary! :)

Agreed, Pat. That party is likely to be awesome.

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
If it is in fact ANGC, I'm taking the over at $50,000.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Choi

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
So, anyone forming a bidding party? :)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »

Here is a link to the First Tee of Charleston web page with the event details and auction list:
http://www.thefirstteegreatercharleston.org/club/scripts/view/view_insert.asp?IID=118380&NS=GAU&APP=106
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
I played it twice, believe me, it is not worth alot of money.

Greens are very fast if you get above the hole, but they are never tournament fast except for the Masters

Is it worth $500, yes. Above that, I don't know.

It is different playing it than watching it from the gallery. From the sides, you really don't get the shot values.

Why'd you go back? ::) ::)

as far as the greens only being tournament fast in the tournament, that's why they call them "tournament fast" ??? ???

The most coveted invitation in golf and it's not worth what it costs to play Pinehurst,TOC or many public access tracks?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
Plenty of people would pay 25g, and plenty of people with 25 g don't have a member willing to take them, even if they do know a member.....
and my guess is they would feel it was worth, regardless of what they paid or gave up to play

I guess Cary doesn't want to go back any time soon, because if  I hosted somebody at Augusta and they dissed it this way in public, I can imagine I'd probably find somebody else to invite for that next trip! ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »
I put this in another post Harriet's first and only ever round of golf!!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=556274768767
Cave Nil Vino

rjsimper

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
Anyone ever hear if the Rounds4Research "GA Mystery Course" turned about to be ANGC? IIRC that one went for around 5k?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
Anyone ever hear if the Rounds4Research "GA Mystery Course" turned about to be ANGC? IIRC that one went for around 5k?

Ryan - I have it on good authority that it was NOT Augusta National. There are only a handful of others that would want to be kept this secret.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »
Did anyone ever figure out what went down at the auction on the 20th?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back