News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Wirthwein

I am authoring a new book about Crooked Stick Golf Club. It is due to be released in time for the U.S. Senior Open in late July, which Crooked Stick is hosting.

The title is: "Love at First Site: Pete & Alice Dye's Crooked Stick Golf Club" -- and the manuscript goes to the publisher in just a couple of weeks. I know, I'm running out of time!

As a last stab, I thought I would ask if anyone has any old/historic photos or artifacts of Crooked Stick they would be willing to offer to the project. I have a decent collection of old photos, but I wish I had more (including score cards from the mid-1960s). If you don't have anything, do you know someone who does?

FYI, I am a long-time Crooked Stick member and have spent many hours interviewing Pete and Alice in their home off the 18th fairway -- and have done lots of other research, including wading through the extensive files of one of the club's founders, Gene Pulliam (former USGA VP).

My publisher is PMP Books in Ithaca, NY. (They published a business book of mine in 2008 -- not really golf publishers, but they offered to take on this project with me.) It will be a full color coffee table style book, similar in size/format to "Perry Maxwell's Prairie Dunes" by Mal Elliott. I'll let folks know when it's available -- will probably be on Amazon and also available through the Crooked Stick Pro Shop and maybe directly from me. The book is not sponsored or financed by the club.

It's simply a labor of love by a guy who wants to tell the story of what Pete and Alice did at Crooked Stick and to tell the sometimes crazy tale of how the club and golf course came to be. Say what you will about Pete and the many changes he's made to the course, but I want the golfing world and future Crooked Stick members to know what it is that makes the place so special. Crooked Stick is, plain and simple, just a golf club. The book, I hope, will help to preserve that ideal far into the future.

I mentioned it was a "labor of love," right? (Translation: it's not a big budget affair) Truth is, it's a "no-budget" affair. I can't pay for photos, but I would be happy to give a photo credit if we use your photos in the book.

Please understand I can't guarantee if something will go in the book, but I would sure love to see if there are some important photos out there that would add to the story.

Thanks to all, and if you have something, please contact me directly (soon!) by email:

Chris Wirthwein
chris@wirthwein.com

Mark Pritchett

Re: New book on Crooked Stick underway -- anyone have old photos?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »
Chris,

Best of luck with the book.  I was lucky enough to play Crooked Stick last summer and came away very impressed with the course and club.  Solid holes with good variety, if CS were my home course I would be one happy golfer.

Mark

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks, Mark...I am a happy golfer. Glad you were able to play the Stick.
CW

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
I'm visiting in late June and can't wait. Should be an awesome USGA venue.

Sorry I don't have much on the course though.
H.P.S.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
and also welcome to the discussion group! 

I especially look forward to hearing your take on Indiana golf.  I think the state's courses are very underrated.

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
Lots of good ones in Indiana. Pete's "The Fort" in Indy is terrific. So is Asherwood. (Sort of like Augusta, only in a lot better condition is the joke I've heard about it.)

Also, I've got Maxinkuckee on my list for this summer; a great Langford and Moreau 1922 design (9-holer; they ran out of $ during the Dperession and never finished the 18 additional holes they had on the drawing board). Hagen played an exhibition there in 1925.

Pete and Alice played there many times. The 12th green at Crooked Stick is modeled after Langford's 5th at Maxinkuckee.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »
Here come's the sr. open.
The book excerpt looks very cool....
Congratulations Chris

http://www.crookedstickbook.com/

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:21:31 AM »
Here come's the sr. open.
The book excerpt looks very cool....
Congratulations Chris

http://www.crookedstickbook.com/

I just checked out the website and the excerpt included...very cool! I loved the copy of the first routing.

I'll be getting a copy.
H.P.S.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »
Thanks for posting the link Mike. 

Looks like a very worthy book to add to the library. 

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »

Also, I've got Maxinkuckee on my list for this summer; a great Langford and Moreau 1922 design (9-holer; they ran out of $ during the Dperession and never finished the 18 additional holes they had on the drawing board). Hagen played an exhibition there in 1925.

Pete and Alice played there many times. The 12th green at Crooked Stick is modeled after Langford's 5th at Maxinkuckee.

Are you referring to the Culver Military Academy course or the other 9 holer down the road? Both are slightly odd but terrific. I went to Culver back in the day and played mostly the Academy course. Hagen played an exhibition match at Culver at about the time you mention.

Bob

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »
I was curious if anyone has had a chance to check out the new Crooked Stick book?

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
I am the author of the book -- and it's done, finished and delivered! (It took seven years.)  I'll post a message later today with info about the book, where to get it, etc. -- including $10 off for GCA-ers. (Gotta go tee it up at Crooked Stick...back later...) Cheers!

New history book about Pete and Alice Dye's Crooked Stick Golf Club

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »
Chris,
   Congratulations on the book. I look forward to seeing it.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

hick

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
Thanks chris, will add to the bookshelf.

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
Thanks Mat and Ed.

The web site to go to about the book is www.crookedstickbook.com. GCA-ers get a $10 discount (rebate check) -- just type"Golf Club Atlas" in the message to seller box. FYI, I made a GCA post Sunday night with some photos from the book in case you want to take a look.

Cheers!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back