News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Hyde

LA public golf...any suggestions?
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:45 AM »
Out in LA on business for a few weeks...I will tire of the Rancho Park range in short order. I was thinking about playing Shackelford's course...or twilight at Trump. Any other suggestions? I am staying in Santa Monica if traffic influences your thoughts. I was also thinking about getting my pro to make a few calls, not sure how that goes over out here.

Thanks

Scott Warren

Re: LA public golf...any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »

Bill Hyde

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »

Thanks Scott...I searched earlier got everything with the letters "l" and "a"!!

Have an enjoyable trip next year...I will be going to Rustic for sure and I will see if my pro can get me onto Riviera (ha)!

Bill

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:35 AM »
Depending on $$ constraints, Palos Verdes is open to public play on weekdays (check website for specific hours) and is very nice (old, short, some quirk)

Rustic is obviously the must-play.

Santa Anita is getting a lot of GCA press as a fun course and some have called it the #2 public in the area. Personally I think it's definitely fun, but a little over-hyped (it's still a muni...conditions are hit/miss) so I'd say #2 is overstating...but it's above the mean, that's for sure.

Angeles National is decent, not great but decent.

Trump is a beautiful location and worth playing so long as you don't care too much about seeking out great architectural features...if they are still discounting for twilight heavily, then it's a pretty spot.

Los Verdes is just as hard to get on as Rancho, but it's got some great views and a pretty solid back nine.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
Bill, it's almost guranteed that Santa Anita's conditions will be better than Los Verdes as LV has had a reputation for spotty maintenance as of late. If you like quirk, bold man made features in the mold of say a Lawsonia lite to some degree, Santa Anita will serve you well. Rustic is the king of the public hill, no question, but they have had some condtioning issues as of late, from what I have heard. If you check the website that Ryan used to do write up's for, greenskeeper.org, you should be able to get a heads up on the latest conditions. I will aslo second Ryan's recommendation of Palos Verdes. Very pleasant setting and some really neat Billy Bill holes. I really like the place.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »
Attn Bill Hyde

If you have the inclination to drive, Soule Park in Ojai is pretty good.  Let me know if you are coming this way.

Pretty sad that all we can say about L.A. is Rustic and Santa Anita.

I recently saw an RFP for the operation of Ancil Hoffman Golf Course in Sacramento.  It leads this way: "Ancil Hoffman Golf Courses was designed by legendary architect William F. Bell, who designed more than 200 courses in his prolific career."

He is a legend all right, 200 courses and they all look the same.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
Just a bit north of Rustic Canyon is Soule Park in Ojai, another public that is a whole lot of fun to play.  #7 and #8 might be the toughest back to  back par 4s I've played in years.  Gil Hanse did a great job on this renovation.   I remember Soule Park from the 60s as not too interesting although the setting is wonderful.  Now it's interesting as well as lovely.

Richard Choi is a huge fan of the 18th hole!  ;D  He hit his tee shot just over the back on this 333 yard hole.

+++

Lynn, we are on the same wavelength!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
Bill, always good to be on the same wave length as you, just wish I could play as many different courses as you do.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »
Out in LA on business for a few weeks...I will tire of the Rancho Park range in short order. I was thinking about playing Shackelford's course...or twilight at Trump. Any other suggestions? I am staying in Santa Monica if traffic influences your thoughts. I was also thinking about getting my pro to make a few calls, not sure how that goes over out here.

Thanks

I don't know if it is still true, but you used to be able to get off at Riviera with a call from your private club pro. Also Brentwood CC used to allow reciprocal play. One public that is not too far from Santa Monica that has not been mentioned yet is Malibu CC, fun layout with lots of changes in elevation in the Malibu hills.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
Bill, always good to be on the same wave length as you, just wish I could play as many different courses as you do.

Don't worry, between these old hips and the economy, I am slowing down!  Hope the golf management business is doing well.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
 8) last time in the area for work..

.. Loved walking Rustic, and playing there with Fireman Dave..

.. enjoyed Angeles National, though it got a little repetitive.. found lots of balls there though..

p.s. if all of Bell Sr courses were like Bakersfield CC, then there's quite a treasure trove out there.. but i fear not
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill Hyde

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
Well folks, I just got back from Rustic, what a great layout! I showed up, hit 30 balls and hooked up with another single. I started out walking but hopped on his wagon so we could bypass a dawdling foursome. It is an immensely walkable course, even at 90 and sunny. The schlep to the 10th tee being the only drudgery. Great variety - particularly the par 3s, amazing green complexes and so many ways to hit your approaches. The greens were very receptive, but I played a lot of low draws and cuts into the par fours and let them run out...a nice change from my parkland course at home! Dramatic bunkering for sure...a joy to look at as it fits into the landscape beautifully.

Best part: $30 - 3.25 hours...conditions were spotty in a few fairways where aerification was underway, greens were verticut but rolled true and quick enough. Simply put, the best golf value of my life! Well done Mr. Hanse and Mr. Shackelford...thinking Santa Anita, Malibu or maybe popping up to Ojai for a twilighter on Sunday. I will call to see if my pro can pull off Riviera for Sunday pm but I am guessing a single on a weekend is unlikely.

Thanks to all for your input.

Damon Groves

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »
I agree with the consensus that your courses are pretty much Rustic and Santa Anita. Also, if headed up to Soule Park you also have the Ojai Valley Inn. Trump is a joke as we have all discussed. Pretty. But a joke as far as architecture. I know a number in GCA do not like Olivas Links in Ventura but I enjoyed it. I would play that before Angeles National.

As for Santa Anita, my home course, the conditions are little sketchy right now. The greens, as they usually do this time of year have taken a beating and are pretty bad. They usually get this way mid August through mid Sept from the heat and over watering. In addition, there is bunker work going on but nothing construction wise that gets in your way. I would still play but just know what you are getting in for in that conditions are about as bad as they get at Santa Anita. I still play at least once a week though.

Send me a message if you need a playing partner. I am pretty busy this week and next but we can always try.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back