News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Flamion

Hello from Chicago
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »
I would just like to introduce myself.  I fell into the rabbit hole about a month ago and felt I could no longer help myself from adding my opinion where warranted.

I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago and play all around the public scene in the area.  I am very excited to get to meet many of you and display my sorry excuse for a golf game.  If anyone wants to play anywhere in the area please feel free to send me a message and we can set something up, being self-employed my schedule can flex to fit any day that works for you.

While still relatively new to the sport, having only rediscovered it 2 years ago,  I have already started to get a sense of what I like in a course and what I don't.  I had the distinct honor of learning golf on a Pete Dye design many years ago in rural Indiana any my love of a mind boggling green has never left.  After seeing so many great pictures of courses I always log off my computer ready to go play golf regardless of the time of day.

As for my taste in courses, I am a firm believer of less is more.  Houses down the left side and a "water feature" to the right doesn't make a good game of golf, imho.  Unfortunately with where I live the majority of courses that I play are on the penal side and I rarely get a true option on my game, but at least every course I play is very walker friendly.

I look forward to getting to know all of you even more in the future, and hope to cross paths with many of you as we continue to share our love of the game.

Andy Troeger

Re: Hello from Chicago
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »
Welcome Chris--what is the name of the rural Pete Dye design--I'm originally from Indiana but am drawing a blank on an older PD design that would be considered rural. It will probably be obvious after you name it!

Chris Flamion

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:52:12 PM »
It currently goes by Oak Tree Golf Club in Plainfield, IN.  However, when I was growing up it was known as The Elks Course and Plainfield didn't have a mall it had a hardware store.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »
Chris,
Thanks--I know where Plainfield is but hadn't previously heard of that course.

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Chris,

From one fellow Western Suburbanite (Wheaton) to another, welcome to GCA. Hopefully, our paths will cross soon.

What are your favorites in the Chicagoland area?

Jim

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »
Welcome. Please tell us you've been to Lawsonoia? If not, that should be your first assignment. You may even actually discover options.

Prairie Landings wasn't bad when I visited last August 25th.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:17:09 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:12:36 AM »
Adding to what Adam said re:  Langford and Moreau--Ye Must Get to Spring Valley in Salem Wisconsin.  We L&M acolytes will ping you.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:44:14 AM »
Andy- 

If you ever get a chance to head out there try to find a way to play the front nine twice, the back nine was done some 20 years later and is an insult to what Dye did on the front.

Jim-

Due to shear logistics of living one town apart (I live in GE) I can't see how we won't cross paths.  My current favorite in the area is Cantigny.  I know that it isn't the best course but I just have a great time playing the courses there, regardless of how many forced shots I get.  That said I spend most my time at Village Links.

Adam-

Prairie Landing is a good course, and has the best practice area I have ever come across.  I just read the Lawsonia write up and it appears to be where I will be headed next year for my golf trip.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »
Welcome Chris!

I'm also from the Chicago area. I actually played both Cantigny and the Village Links a couple weeks apart earlier this year and I think I liked Village Links better. There is something about Cantigny that gives me a headache.

Let's get a game going soon.
H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
Adding to what Adam said re:  Langford and Moreau--Ye Must Get to Spring Valley in Salem Wisconsin.  We L&M acolytes will ping you.

welcome Chirs...i live in Oak Lawn

i just played Sprinv Valley with Eric and Phil McDade (another GCAer)...hard to beat the deal..$21.50 for an entire days play, a pretty beverage girl, and a monstrous  :o Polish sausage sandwich if you wish..Phil had one and survived

and of course a very solid golf course ...I think Phil is going to post a bunch of pictures

pt
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
Andy- 

If you ever get a chance to head out there try to find a way to play the front nine twice, the back nine was done some 20 years later and is an insult to what Dye did on the front.

Jim-

Due to shear logistics of living one town apart (I live in GE) I can't see how we won't cross paths.  My current favorite in the area is Cantigny.  I know that it isn't the best course but I just have a great time playing the courses there, regardless of how many forced shots I get.  That said I spend most my time at Village Links.

Adam-

Prairie Landing is a good course, and has the best practice area I have ever come across.  I just read the Lawsonia write up and it appears to be where I will be headed next year for my golf trip.

Chris,

Cool!  Let's go hop the fence at Chicago Golf together :)  Hopefully Ryan Potts will chime in here as he is a fellow GE guy.

I've spent many a day and night at Prairie Landing, probably too little at their very nice range though.  I don't play as much locally anymore, however.

Jim

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Ryan Potts chiming in from Glen Ellyn.......well, actually my office in Chicago.

I suck at golf and want to quit.   ;D

Thank god my course is getting destroyed for the next year.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:08:41 PM by Ryan Potts »

Chris Flamion

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
Paul-

How is the course down in Oak Lawn(Stoney Creek I believe), I have heard nothing about it.  Also I saw the price of the L&M course and my eyes about exploded out of my dome, makes me wish for the days of living in a cheaper place than here.

Paul-

Links is a good course, but bunkers and water guarding the same spots of almost every hole gets frustrating rather quickly on an off day.  The fact that I leave ball marks off the tee doesn't help it out too much either.

Jim-

I actually had the honor of working an event at Chicago(I am in the wedding industry) and I just kept looking out at the course and trying to figure out how to make it happen. 

Ryan I just wanted to know what course is getting destroyed I didn't know of any on the block.

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »

Ryan I just wanted to know what course is getting destroyed I didn't know of any on the block.

It's approximately 11 minutes from your house.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
Lets see here we go

Glen Oaks (not that I know of)
Village Links (nope)
Western Acres ??
Glendale Lakes ??
Ken Loch ??
Downers Grove (I hope not great 9)
Klein Creek (probably)
Cantigny (nope)
Arrowhead (only one of the "big" courses that I could see getting the axe, but I can't see that happening given the amount they spent on it 2 years ago)

So then I am completely confused on what could possibly be getting the dozer
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:42:49 PM by Chris Flamion »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
Chris,    Welcome to the site-I am also from Chicago. The course that Ryan is referring to is                                                     Medinah 3.   Fairways and greens,   Jack

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 11:59:28 PM »
Hi Chris,
    Welcome to the Treehouse. As Ryan intimated, it's renovation time again at Medinah. In computer terms, this will be Medinah No. 3.3.4, I think.
    Oh, and Butterfield is getting a complete redo as well. All 27 holes at the same time, because retention ponds have to be added.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Chris Flamion

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 02:28:07 AM »
I completely spaced out on Medinah, I knew that was coming as the PGA has been advertising the redos for a while now.

I have never even been by Butterfield so I don't know anything about it.  Have heard it is a pretty good facility, but that is all the more I know on it

JR Potts

Re: Hello from Chicago New
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi Chris,
    Welcome to the Treehouse. As Ryan intimated, it's renovation time again at Medinah. In computer terms, this will be Medinah No. 3.3.4, I think.
    Oh, and Butterfield is getting a complete redo as well. All 27 holes at the same time, because retention ponds have to be added.

Come on Tim, you of all people should know that this is Medinah 3.1.5.3.3.4.   As you documented, the course was changed almost immediately after its opening.

And Chris, you should drive by Butterfield.  It's off of Midwest Road just south of 88.  The amount of earth being moved there is absolutely staggering.

Roll Tide......
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:55:31 AM by Ryan Potts »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back