News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

What happened to Oakhurst Links?
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »
This summer I am driving from Mass to Tenn, and my route will take me quite close to Oakhurst Links.  However, their web site has the following note at the top of their home page:

"Oakhurst Links will not be open for public play in the 2008 season; however a private tour may be arranged by appointment. Please contact the clubhouse for more information."

No further details or news is provided.  I did see in some further internet searches that the course is listed for sale on some sites listing golf courses that are for sale.

Does anyone have any current details on Oakhurst?  Any chance I could play a quick nine, or is the course not currently being maintained?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Roger Wolfe

Re: What happened to Oakhurst Links?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
I hope its still OK.  I have played it several times.  Lewis is a great guy.

ChipOat

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »
I'm just guessing, but with business being so bad at the Greenbriar (Greenbrier??) since post-9/11/01, Oakhurst Links might have lost a bunch of their traffic because of that.  Even their bare bones upkeep isn't free.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:55:01 AM »
Google search show it is owned by Ironwood Golf Group of Phoenix, AZ.
Further down the queue you find the property is for sale.
http://www.bizbuysell.com/listing-information-q439221.html

Possibly part of a 315 acre development with a Nicklaus golf course.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
See article printed in Charlotte newspaper today.  Could the course really be worth $4.5 million?  Maybe that includes a lot of other valuable property?  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/134/story/889994.html

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »
It is a cool place, but I wondered what would happen to it when Mr. Keller got past the point of running it.

There are not a lot of golf courses in America worth $4.5 million, and none of them are in West Virginia.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »
It is a cool place, but I wondered what would happen to it when Mr. Keller got past the point of running it.

There are not a lot of golf courses in America worth $4.5 million, and none of them are in West Virginia.

That is a rather strong statement.

Then again my friends found out the hard way spending a little more than 7 to do a small development and course outside Parkersburg. They were able to make a go of it for a few years but when the real estate was gone and the debt not paid down to a manageable level they went down pretty quick.

I am not sure you could make a go of it investing $1 million right now in a decent facility. When $20 is all you can charge any amount of investment is questionable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back