News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Smith

Re: Old Mac #11- Tom Doak explains the Road Hole Green
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
Tom-

I guess I meant that if Old Mac spurred an interest in Strategic design like the Old Course did and then National did, then it would be inpretty good company. Obviously good design comes in many forms, some with little similarity to either the Old or NGLA.

David Botimer

Re: Old Mac #11- Tom Doak explains the Road Hole Green
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »
This thread gives me reason to believe a separate discussion should take place here to consider the differences between a replica and a template.

I've played many "replicas" or copies in the past, but never a template, until working at BDGR / OM.  My understanding of a template is that it attempts to gleen the primary strategic elements of the course / hole and apply them to the land at hand.  If I was to surmise the primary strategic elements of the Road Hole, it is that it was the first golf hole to call for a left to right tee shot followed by a right to left approach shot, with all the greenside "entertainment" to boot, i.e. a scary pot bunker front left along with elevated green shaped kidney style "southeast to northwest".

I for one don't find the OM version of the Road Hole to be one of the better holes at the course, yet as its 11th hole and calling for said ball flights do think it is an excellent "quiz" in the heart of the "test" known as OM.

This month I caddied for a member of the Mid-Ocean Club and when playing the Cape hole at OM asked him if he recognized the hole.  He didn't, as he noted the Cape hole at Mid-Ocean was a right to left dogleg, water left.  I noted the comparisons online and found the following.  A tee shot with forced carry asking for shape (at MO right to left, at OM left to right) with approach shot airborne OR on the ground, to a green with significant contouring.  Is OM's a replica?  Absolutely not.  Is it a template?  Of course.  It has the strategic elements called for, while using the ground on site to create its own unique golf experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back