News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Best Los Angeles public access
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:12 PM »
All,

The west coast is shaping up as a highlight of my trip to the USA next year. Between some of GCA's most generous members and some awesome public access courses, California is looking amazing.

My question today concerns LA.

I found a web listing today ranking Rustic Canyon as the best public access track in the greater LA area. Is this so?

If you had one game in the LA area, where would it be?

Tom Huckaby

Re: Best Los Angeles public access
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
All,

The west coast is shaping up as a highlight of my trip to the USA next year. Between some of GCA's most generous members and some awesome public access courses, California is looking amazing.

My question today concerns LA.

I found a web listing today ranking Rustic Canyon as the best public access track in the greater LA area. Is this so?

If you had one game in the LA area, where would it be?

It is so.  Rustic Canyon is the best public access course in the greater LA area.  Hell it's up there with the best privates - it really is that good.

If I had one game and access were no issue however, it would be either Riviera or LA North, either one fine by me, either before Rustic.

See ya in NorCal I hope!

TH

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »

Yes and it's not even close.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »
Not close to LA, geographically. It's way out there, but that doesn't change how good the golf is.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »
Cheers guys.

Huck: I'll be wherever you tell me to be, for sure!

Adam: I'll be heading by car towards Monterey/San Fran from LA, so it's in the right direction.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:28:39 PM by Scott Warren »

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:28:40 PM »
If you are a contrarian, Tommyknockers has talked a great deal about two courses in Newport Beach.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »
For a dumb Aussie, which two? Seems there are a few in that neck of the woods?

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »
Scott,

Angeles National is worth visiting if you want to check out a cheap Nicklaus course.  It is a similar site to Rustic Canyon and makes an interesting comparison in style.   Of course, it doesn't compare quality wise to Rustic which is sensational.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom Yost

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
I have little experience with golf in the greater LA area, but I have played Rustic and can heartily recommend it.   Two thumbs up.

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
For a dumb Aussie, which two? Seems there are a few in that neck of the woods?

Pelican Hill.  Not dumb.  If you weren't active on the board when Tommyknockers used to highlight these you could not have known.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
Cheers guys.

Huck: I'll be wherever you tell me to be, for sure!

Adam: I'll be heading by car towards Monterey/San Fran from LA, so it's in the right direction.

Rustic is the best value and public course within 50 miles of LAX. Santa Anita Golf Course might be no.2. No ocean views at those two but you can get those if you stop at Sandpiper north of Santa Barbara on your way up to SF. La Purisima is another must play on the way up to SF on the central coast.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
Scott,

As has been said before, Rustic is that good.  Play it a couple times if you get the chance.  It can be walked in 2.5 hours if you play early.  Have a great trip.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »
Though it's met mixed reviews here, I enjoyed the Lost Canyons Sky Course.  It's in Simi Valley, not far out of town.

WW

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »
No love for Trump National LA?  It's great - well at least the restaurant is.  Never played the golf course.

I haven't played a lot in the LA area, but Rustic Canyon would be a worthwhile choice most anywhere you go.  If you want to leave feeling good about your putter, be sure you play 36.  The first 18 may be tough.

Damon Groves

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
If you want Pelican, Trump National, Lost Canyons or Angeles National you can have them. Have played them all and simply no comparison.

Rustic is by far better than those courses and given Santa Anita is my home course, while I am biased, it would be my number two.

Any love for Rancho Duarte  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
You can play Rustic and then Soule Park on the way north (it's in Ojai, north of Rustic).  Good public options.

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
Rustic is the slam dunk winner. Santa Anita is a solid second. I would throw Recreation Park out there as another option, it was the original Virginia Country Club before they moved to their present site. Los Verdes might be a good cheap option if ocean views are desired. Much, much less money than Chump, er, Trump National and basically the same views. Just be prepared for a long round.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Andy Troeger

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
I played Rustic Canyon, Lost Canyons Sky, and Trump National on a recent trip and would agree with the majority that Rustic was definitely the best of those three. I didn't have high expectations of Lost Canyons but really enjoyed the round--its probably better for a one time visit than it would be for a "home course," however given the nature of the property. The mountain views are excellent and there are some thrilling shots. I'd play it again. Trump National didn't do much for me--the ocean views are incredible but the course is not.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:54 PM »
If you take David's suggestion of Los Verdes then maybe make some time to test out the 9 hole course at Terranea Resort.  Todd Eckenrode of Barona fame did the job there and Tommy gives it good marks.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 01:24:01 AM »
Thanks very much guys for the opinions on Rustic and the other suggestions. As always, very much appreciated.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:15 AM »
Best advice would be to play Monarch Beach first, then head up to rustic.

The cocktail of pleasure, pain, and cougars is unbeatable.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Michael Robin

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »
Scott, if you are coming all the way from Oz, you should not waste any of your time. Given that, there are 3 must see courses in Los Angeles, Riviera, LA North and Rustic. Rustic you can do yourself, IM me about Riv.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:50:25 AM by Michael Robin »

Emil Weber

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 01:53:31 AM »
Please Scott, don't miss Rustic Canyon. It's a testament to naturalism and strategy. It is all we guys on GCA could ask for... it is THAT good. It is awesome... playing it monday to thursday it will cost you 37 $, that's one of the best values ANYWHERE.

James Bennett

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 04:28:16 AM »
You can play Rustic and then Soule Park on the way north (it's in Ojai, north of Rustic).  Good public options.

what he said.  Looks like the LA private options are also well covered. 

The drive up to Monterey has further options.  I would suggest a brief stop at Hearst Castle in San Luis Opismo (sp? sorry) - it was truly another world.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 04:41:34 AM »
IM sent, Michael!

Emil, the aim is to play at least two courses in LA as well as the ones I have lined up in Monterey and San Fran, and Rustic is very likely.

James, thanks for the heads-up on Hearst Castle. While my missus has approved golf galore on the West Coast, it won't hurt to make sure I can top up the brownie points along the way!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back