News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neal_Meagher

11 Holes in 3 hr. 15 min? Hazeltine.
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »
Seeing as how this is a golf architecture site and all, I am curious what all of you think of the connection between golf design and various maintenance practices vs. pace of play.  Specifically, I am just speechless at the woeful pace of play now going on with the "marquee" grouping of Woods, Harrington and Beem: They have just completed their 11th hole of the day exactly 3 hours and 15 minutes after teeing off.

Now, in light of the finish to last week's tournament at Firestone, am I the only one who finds this sort of astounding?  Other than the obvious tension that comes with contending in major tournaments, which I get, I'd be interested in learning what 5 specific design elements everyone here thinks influences this typeof SLOW play.

This can include maintenance elements as well as design elements, for surely the gnarly rough that is confronting these players at Hazeltine is a major factor among other things.  I have a few ideas of my own but I'm most curious what everyone else thinks.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: 11 Holes in 3 hr. 15 min? Hazeltine.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
The gusting winds don't do anything to help.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
Perhaps saving the drivable par 4 for the weekend when the field is smaller would help?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
Well, it's pretty long, for starters...

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »
that is unf*&%ingbelievable

why do they let them get away with playing that slow?

no wonder less people are golfing:  watching that death march really encourages busy people to go play golf and kill most of a day

this is so bad on so many levels....and nothing will be done about it
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
'Tis the size of the field. With split tees on Thursday and Friday you make the turn in 4:20. Anything faster than that and you wait on the first hole of the other side. Harrington and Woods finished exactly in position.

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:23:52 PM »
Thank goodness for the DVR. Watching golf without it is awful as CBS follows just Tiger's group (and I'm want to see every one of Tiger's shots) and goes to commercial while they are walking to their balls. Watching Harrington try to hit a shot is painful. He's never ready when it's his turn. At least there were times early in the round when immediately after Beem's ball stopped Tiger was hitting.

I don't think it's any design elements that cause these guys to be slow. They never need to look for balls in the rough with spotters. They're not chipping back and forth over greens or 3 and 4 putting routinely. They just choose to be slow. Now for us mortals I think long rough is one of the biggest culprits of slow play. Next I would say is length. Then perhaps unnecessary bunkers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back