News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »

Hole 10 525 par 5. Wide open and straight with only bunker placed in road hole position. Garland down two needs a good hole.

Both participants hack it up toward the green. Both are just off in three. Kalen high of the hole and Garland low. Garland with a chip just past the hole cans the downhill putt for par and the win.  After 10...Kalen..1 up.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
Putter heating up now!
 :D

EDIT: Deceptive hole. It looked from the distance like coming from the right was the thing to do. As you can see, coming from the left worked out quite well for me. Can't claim any credit there, I hit an accidental fade from a lie above my feet. Don't ask me how!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:53:50 PM by Bayley R. Garland »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »

Hole 11 par 3 145. Green has upper tear and pin is in that position. The bunkers do not appear in play but are aesthetic. Kalen plays his tee ball just under the pin but has a mound to deel with. Putt or chip? Garland skulls one off the hole into the wispy stuff and his ball is finally found after being put on the clock by the official. Kalen chips long and is left with a midrange downhill putt. Garland gouges one onto the putting surface. Both lie two and Kalen is wearing a grin.

Garland CANS the 45 footer for his secound par in a row!!

Kalen misses his par................All Square.

Did I mention Garland "Big Bird" Bayley canned a 45 footer?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
Did I mention that the putter was heating up?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »
LOL at the double posting of that pic. I'm loving this...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »
and Anthony was heard to utter as Garland's ball tracked to the hole....

Maybe..... YES SIR!!!!

;D

I too am loving this.  Great work.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »

Hole 12 uphill par 4 at 380. As with Hole 5 the sand river runs down the left side. The fairway slops right to left.  There is a bunker brilliantly placed 20-30 yards on the slope right of the green.  Any ball carrying this bunker will bound down onto the green.  Once again, Kalen took the expert advice of his caddy and used a shorter club that just made it over the bunker, and finished onto the green.  Garland also made the green in 2, leaving both players with 25 feet for birdie. 

Garland two putts for his third consecitive par..............Kalen three jacks..............Garland..1 up..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
Garland, Garland, Garland....

Please tell me Kalen's 2nd putt was longer than 3 feet.. do you really want to win by NOT giving him putts?

One more comment... classic tyop given rainy weather... the fairway slops from right to left.  Also love the term "sand river."

;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
This course can't be any good. There are no trees...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 04:16:43 PM »
Garland, Garland, Garland....

Please tell me Kalen's 2nd putt was longer than 3 feet.. do you really want to win by NOT giving him putts?

I must have been too busy rolling my eyes at something KALEN'S CADDY said. to have noticed there was a putt to be given.

There wasn't anything even close to 3 feet on this hole to be given.

Now, I ask you, why would KALEN'S CADDY say YES, SIREE when I hole a long putt?
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:18:29 PM by Bayley R. Garland »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
Gulp.  I missed that Anthony was Kalen's caddie.  I was hoping he was kidding.  He's doing such a damn fine commentary job I was hoping he was impartial.

But good on you for making him putt out a missable putt.  I never doubted you.

;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »

Number 13. Sorry no photos from the fairway because it was never seen. Again a nicely designed hole. Dog leg right downhill. Both players played up the right rough with their tee shots........Then played up the right rough with their next shots. From a difficult lie Kalin muscles one that barely makes it over the bunker. It gets a members kick off the downslope behind the bunker and takes a run at the hole. Looks like a sure par. Garland freaks and cannot finish the hole.

Once again.........ALL SQUARE.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »
Kalen almost lost this one, because he did not put a mark on this ball and there were two Nikes found near each other. Fortunately, they were different models or it's back to the tee for him.

MARK YOUR BALL! SAVE YOURSELF SOME GRIEF!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »

Number 14. My favorite par 3. At 125 it is a charmer. Again great use of the sand river. THese designers are good!! The sand river flows infront of the green but the back bunkers are more dangerous to catch because you are short sided from there and the green runs away from you. Again both players played up to there handicaps.

Will the Chris Farley zapper work?

Sure did.  Both players half the hole with double bogey 5's.........All Square

Richard Choi

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
Loved #13 as well. The first time through, I thought the hole went right to left (it is impossible to tell from the tee) and I put the ball in the left bunker and had hellaciously good time hitting one sand shot after another in those gorgeous bunkers that guard the green. Second time through, I carried the corner on the right, but again put my wedge in the bunkers for a double.  What a HOLE!!!

#14 front bukers are deceptively hard. There is a lot more elevation change than it looks in the photo and there are a lot of awkward lies in that bunker. Really need to miss long right.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
Are we going to have to start calling him "Two Gloves?"
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Craig Sweet

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
In that photo of Kalen and Garland exchanging blows....sorry Shivas....was Kalen standing on a box or is he really taller than Garland?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »
Garland...your on going commentary reminds me of Nicklaus commenting on his Shell World of Golf match with Snead....truly insightful!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »

Hole 15 uphill Par 5 460 yds.  The best green side bunkering on the course, what a treat.  Garland gets a lucky bounce off a rake. From the tee it has a little Rustic Canyon look. 

Aided by the rake, Garland makes 6.  Kalen drops his par putt, his third par of the day and takes the lead 1 up. 

Brandy's got to get to her second job, will post the final 3 holes tomorrow.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
In that photo of Kalen and Garland exchanging blows....sorry Shivas....was Kalen standing on a box or is he really taller than Garland?

Kalen is about as much shorter than me as his fist is from my chin.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
The crowd control WAS very good....given how much was riding on this match....

Anthony...so let me get this straight...Brandy started drinking mojito's around 11:30am?  Can I meet her?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »
No fair inserting a cliffhanger - overnight no less - at this point in the match.

460 yards par 5 - were they playing the "forward" tees?   ??? ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »
The crowd control WAS very good....given how much was riding on this match....

Anthony...so let me get this straight...Brandy started drinking mojito's around 11:30am?  Can I meet her?

She takes lunch from 1-2. Can't you tell how her spelling has gotten worse on the back 9.....more blurry pics too.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »

Hole 15 uphill Par 5 460 yds.  The best green side bunkering on the course, what a treat.  Garland gets a lucky bounce off a rake. From the tee it has a little Rustic Canyon look. 

Aided by the rake, Garland makes 6.  Kalen drops his par putt, his third par of the day and takes the lead 1 up. 

Brandy's got to get to her second job, will post the final 3 holes tomorrow.

My shot fell a little short of reaching the green, bounced sideways and hit the rake where Kalen points. I am not convinced it would have gone in a bunker. What it did do is bound to a position where my birdie putt was impossible. After finishing the hole, I reputted to confirm. Even putting to the limit of the fringe would not let my putt break late enough to reach the hole. I would have had to putt into the long grass to reach, but then it wouldn't have come out. Kalen got just as big a break on this hole as I did. Since my typical miss with a wedge in hand is right, I thought I had a great advantage after Kalen didn't reach in regulation. Unfortunately I had the dangerous miss instead of the safe miss.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:03 PM »
No fair inserting a cliffhanger - overnight no less - at this point in the match.

460 yards par 5 - were they playing the "forward" tees?   ??? ;D

Blue tees at 6335.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back