News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »

Bag rests, wow, I thought they were open air urinals, you learn something new everyday on GCA.com. You sure you are not taking the Piss  ;)

I was wondered what that little hole was for, starting to get me worried :-[

Melvyn

Actually when Anthony saw them first thing in the morning after morning coffee, he proceeded to attempt to misuse them. Fortunately, I hauled him off and educated him.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 11:56:17 AM »
Sorry Kalen is not available to comment here, but he is probably out playing that little 9-holer outside of Deer Lodge, MT about now.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »

Anthony
W/V 

Looks like the Castle Stuart Drive but pre sleeper installation. Now I understand why Niall said American style course, its more or less the same except for the sleepers.
Castle Stuart

Or did I mix them up, the bottom is top and top is bottom - no the sleepers give it away.
Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »

Anthony
W/V 

Looks like the Castle Stuart Drive but pre sleeper installation. Now I understand why Niall said American style course, its more or less the same except for the sleepers.
Castle Stuart

Or did I mix them up, the bottom is top and top is bottom - no the sleepers give it away.
Melvyn

Melvyn,

The difference is that the Wine Valley picture is of a bunker/hazard that runs like a river the length of the hole, whereas the Castle Stuart picture seems to be of a walking or cart path.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »

Anthony
W/V 

Castle Stuart

Melvyn

Still beating that dead horse old man?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »

OK....Hole 6..Par 3. Awesome setting for this hole. Pond should never come into play but adds aesthetic value. Generous areas around the green for missed shots. Green slopes very steeply from back to front so being on the same level of the pin is a must. After receiving excellent advice from his caddy ,Kalen chooses the shorter club and ends up just off the front of the green for an easy two putt. As for the Garland, the pond that never comes into play.............................comes into play..................... with a 7 iron that gets 3 inches off the ground.

After 6...........All Square................No holes halved at this point.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

...As for the Garland, the pond that never comes into play.............................comes into play..................... with a 7 iron that gets 3 inches off the ground.

So you can see why I rail against ponds on this site. If there had been a burn short of the green, my shot would never have reached it, and I would have been penalized enough for my lousy swing. Perhaps this lends some insight into my saying that I can accidentally miss a stream or burn, but not a pond. During the golden age, Tilly and the PGA were enlightened enough to go around the country removing cross bunkers. Who is going to step up and fund going around the country removing ponds? Put the joy back in golf for the high handicapper!

Hmmmm. I understand that Bill Gates feller doesn't have the best golf game. Maybe I will send him a letter,...., err..., email, ... , err..., text message, ..., err..., tweet, ..., err maybe he's on to the next thing that I haven't heard about yet.
FORGET ABOUT IT!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »

Hole 7 510 par 5. It seems that the holes keep getting better. This hole has a slight double dog leg feel.First of all the bunkering is again magnificent. A generuos driving area sets up for options on your next shot. The green is an excellent punch bowl that funnels everything onto the putting surface. In the bellow photos you can see an approach from the left can allow the golfer a view of the green. But the player only needs to carry the tall bunker front right and the ball will continue onto the green. Again very well designed.

View from the tee. Bunker in the center of photo is front right of green

Green is just over this trap.

Would you concede this putt?

Kalen makes it for a par and a halve.The first hole halved and double pared.

Stil..........All Square

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »
The 7th green and greensite look very cool.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »

Yeah, It's about all Anthony could talk about.
Kalen, got lucky on this one! I for once executed near perfect on my strategy, having the great angle for approach vs his blind approach, but missed the short birdie putt. I know Ace, it is shocking, but I do miss birdie putts.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »

Bag rests, wow, I thought they were open air urinals, you learn something new everyday on GCA.com. You sure you are not taking the Piss  ;)

I was wondered what that little hole was for, starting to get me worried :-[

Melvyn

Actually when Anthony saw them first thing in the morning after morning coffee, he proceeded to attempt to misuse them. Fortunately, I hauled him off and educated him.

What's funny is that they had a power outage and the mens room was lit with candles. Because of the romantic theme I did not venture in with Garland..........More holes soon...my office manage is the one that knows how to post photos and she just left for some mojitos.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »

Hole 8 the longest par 3. Today 190 uphill. The player can play out to the left to avoid the bunker and use the slope.......or you can just knock it into the bunker like Kalen. Again a varied green with multiple pin placements.

Kalen gets out of the bunker and two putts while Garland just plain butchers the hole.

Kalen......1 up

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »
Perhaps some more should be said about the 7th hole. From the tee the left side looks inviting, because you can see you will need to be left to have an opening to the green. However, from that distance you cannot correctly ascertain how high the left side fairway bunkers are and how much they will obstruct your second shot. The right side also looks very inviting, because it is expansive and safe. However, you will have to execute a good long shot to get back to the left for the approach. Therefore, the line of charm is the line of instinct on the drive, straight at the green in the distance.

The second shot clearly needs to be left, but for a player like me, my lefty draw with a fairway wood still came frightenlngly close to not clearing the left side fairway bunker protuding into the fairway, but thankfully brought me to perfect position to wedge to 8-9 feet from the hole.
Kalen having gone left could not get into position for the third, and had to depend on my poor putting for the halve.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »

Number 9. 405 par 4. Again a pond right of the green is out of play. Sorry only two pics. I spent all my time looking for Garland's first tee shot. Tap in bogey for Kalen. THE MO HAS SHIFTED.............Kalen..2 up at the turn.

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
That 8th looks like a cool hole. Enjoying this. Have you employed a proof reader in the past week, Anthony, or does your mojito-sipping office manager do that as well? ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »
Anyone else tired of these inane attempts @ attention ?  Enough to make a person quit checking out this board

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:49:31 PM by Eric Smith »

Richard Choi

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »
The 7th is a GREAT par 5. I LOVED the punchbowl green.

Not a big fan of the pond holes (6 and 9). It just looks totally out of place compared to other holes. I especially do not like it for 9th as the water is blind if you don't reach your drive to the top of the plateau in the landing zone.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »
Anyone else tired of these inane attempts @ attention ?  Enough to make a person quit checking out this board

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) >:( >:( >:( >:( :D :D :D :D :D

LISTEN UP PRIVATE! The information on the strategic 7th hole is valuable! Just be lucky I didn't push the "Report to Moderator" button for that last outburst!

;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
pushed wrong button
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:30:19 PM by Bayley R. Garland »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »

Kalen, got lucky on this one! I for once executed near perfect on my strategy, having the great angle for approach vs his blind approach, but missed the short birdie putt. I know Ace, it is shocking, but I do miss birdie putts.

Guys with a 21.6 index don't HAVE birdie putts, much less make them.   ;D   [note feel-good emoticon]

Garland Bayley

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
The 7th is a GREAT par 5. I LOVED the punchbowl green.

Not a big fan of the pond holes (6 and 9). It just looks totally out of place compared to other holes. I especially do not like it for 9th as the water is blind if you don't reach your drive to the top of the plateau in the landing zone.

I agree the ponds are totally out of place in that setting. For you bombers out there, cresting the hill with your drive hits a big turbo boost. After losing my first drive, I hit driver, wedge to about 12 feet, and only my poor putting once again saved Kalen from another halve.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »

Guys with a 21.6 index don't HAVE birdie putts, much less make them.   ;D   [note feel-good emoticon]

Careful Bill, you don't want to get George Pazin riled up!  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »

Guys with a 21.6 index don't HAVE birdie putts, much less make them.   ;D   [note feel-good emoticon]

I wasn't talking to George.

Are you going to get back in this match?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »

I wasn't talking to George.

Are you going to get back in this match?

As indicated on the other thread, it went all 18 holes.

Eric Smith

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »

LISTEN UP PRIVATE! The information on the strategic 7th hole is valuable! Just be lucky I didn't push the "Report to Moderator" button for that last outburst!

;D

Garland- its laughable that anyone but the most experienced could suggest such a thing.  Garland one of the fundamental elements of gca is that  the seventh hole of a routing should not fall prey to some formulaic nature of design habit, thus constricting the process and outcome of great gca on a landscape as diverse as Wine Valley appears to be.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back