News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.......COMPLETED
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »

Kalen VS Garland at Pine Valley.....................Hell's Wonderful World of Golf.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2009, 06:06:25 PM »

Kalen VS Garland at Pine Valley.....................Hell's Wonderful World of Golf.

Anthony

LOL

Hell's Wonder-struck World of Golf.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2009, 06:10:06 PM »

The people at Wine Valley just called me. I can get enybody on unacompanied. Just IM me for the hook up. Same goes for Chambers Bay.

Anthony

Bill Brightly

« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
I agree that this was a great thread, a great way to "see" a course that I probably will never get to play. I nominate Anthony for the position of Official GCA Photographer/Story Teller!

I gotta ask, do Bayley and Kalen have the same handicaps?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
I agree that this was a great thread, a great way to "see" a course that I probably will never get to play. I nominate Anthony for the position of Official GCA Photographer/Story Teller!

I gotta ask, do Bayley and Kalen have the same handicaps?

From the King's putter sign up thread. I have never been able to find Kalen on ghin.com. Right now, I am a 19.6.

David Stamm, 12
Tom Naccarato
Robert Ball
Jon Spaulding
John Mayhugh
Peter Wagner
Lynn Shackelford (I think)
Bob Huntley (I think)
Mike Benham (you're in!)
Tom Huckaby, 4.1
Patrick Kiser, 18.6 (out for Monday)
Kalen Braley, 16.8
Jack Crisham
David Schmidt
Anthony Gray, 11.7
Wayne Wiggins, jr.
Bill McBride, 14.1
Joe Perches (tentative)
Kyle Henderson, John 3:16 ;D
Bob Jenkins, 11.8 (out for Friday)
Pete Pittock, 12
Tom Yost, 10.3
Garland Bayley, 21.9 (tentative)
Stan Dodd
Tim Leahy (tentative)
Jordan Wall (tentative)
Dan King (tentative)
Pete Lavallee 
Jonathan Cummings, 12
Evan Fleisher (tentative)
Larry Rodgers
Tim Bert
Art Fuller, 4.0
Rich Goodale (tentative)
Mark Arata (tentative)
Richard Choi
Jed Peters, 6.5
Michael Christensen, 8.5

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2009, 08:01:33 PM »
I don't have an official handicap right now, but its approx in the 18-20 range based on how I've played my last 20 rounds.

So to answer your question, the match was very even....although in the words of Dennis Green, I felt this way after the match.  Of course replace "Bears" with "Garland"!!   ;D

The Bears are what we thought they were; they're what we thought they were. We played them in preaseason — who the hell takes a third game of the preseason like it's bullshit, bullshit!? We played them in the third game — everybody played three quarters — the Bears are who we thought they were! And that's why we took the damn field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were, and we let 'em off the hook!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
Kalen,

Want to start a service of introducing new courses to the public, where we are hosted by the course of course?

We get hosted, we do OM, otherwise they can continue to exist in anonymity. Their choice!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
I don't have an official handicap right now, but its approx in the 18-20 range based on how I've played my last 20 rounds.

So to answer your question, the match was very even....although in the words of Dennis Green, I felt this way after the match.  Of course replace "Bears" with "Garland"!!   ;D

The Bears are what we thought they were; they're what we thought they were. We played them in preaseason — who the hell takes a third game of the preseason like it's bullshit, bullshit!? We played them in the third game — everybody played three quarters — the Bears are who we thought they were! And that's why we took the damn field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were, and we let 'em off the hook!

Garland was what you thought he was.............................................an Ass-clown?

Thanks for the memories

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »

Garland was what you thought he was.............................................an Ass-clown?

Thanks for the memories

Anthony

Hey,

Thats not what I meant...I was referring to Garlands golf game!!   ;D  I really let him off the hook with that 3 putt on 12, the bad shot on 16, followed by the horrific shot on 17 when he was already in trouble in the gunch!!

Emil Weber

« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »
Brilliant thread, Anthony, you saved my evening ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:42 PM »

Bill Brightly and Emil Weber,

Thank you for your kind comments. In the opening I stated I think golf is great because of the land it is played on and the people that play it. It was my desire to bring out those two aspects with this thread. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the thread and thank you for letting me know. Everyone on this site should look at each other as members of the same brotherhood and Garland and Kalen set a wonderful example for that.

Long live gentelman golfers,

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »
Fun thread, sorry I picked the wrong time to take a vacation and missed it live. :)

On a serious note, I think the play recap illustrates much of what I mean when I say many on here don't understand how high handicappers play, at least as it relates to architecture.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
George you couldn't be more correct.  On most holes I was just trying to any part of the fairway or green....only on a few shots was I trying to hit one particluar part of a target.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm...

Nothing either of them did came close to surprising me, George.

So perhaps I get how they play?  Am I indeed outside of the "many"?

;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
Tom,

One thing you see assumed on here is that high handicappers score poorly, or need to play the 5192 tees, because they can't hit it out of their shadow. Another one is that if we took less club we could keep it in play. Kalen was very good at putting it out of play with a shorter club! ;)

You my friend are one of the enlightened ones.

George Pazin

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »
George you couldn't be more correct.  On most holes I was just trying to any part of the fairway or green....only on a few shots was I trying to hit one particluar part of a target.

And how much different do you think that would be if you moved up a set of tees? Or all the way up? In my own experience, I'd say not terribly different, just a bit more monotonous.

Huck, you're rarely one of the "many". :)

BTW, it's great to be able to put faces to names. At the beginning of the thread, I thought Kalen had gotten Jason Gore to be his ringer stand-in.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
George you couldn't be more correct.  On most holes I was just trying to any part of the fairway or green....only on a few shots was I trying to hit one particluar part of a target.

And how much different do you think that would be if you moved up a set of tees? Or all the way up? In my own experience, I'd say not terribly different, just a bit more monotonous.

Huck, you're rarely one of the "many". :)

BTW, it's great to be able to put faces to names. At the beginning of the thread, I thought Kalen had gotten Jason Gore to be his ringer stand-in.

George,

Not much.  We played from the 6300 tees but even from the ladies tees I doubt I would have scored more than 4-5 shots better.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
Thanks, George.  I do try not to be.. sometimes too hard.

;D

Carl Nichols

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »

Wine Valley allows sweatsuits? 

Seriously, great thread, looks like a fun course, thanks to all involved. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »
They're rain pants....

It was raining the whole time on the drive up!!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »
They're rain pants....

It was raining the whole time on the drive up!!  ;D

That doesn't excuse the T-shirt!  :D

Norbert P

« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »
If you're happy, we're happy. 

Anthony, great idea and presentation of the clash of the Titans.  I'll let you in on a secret about Garland;  his two golf gloves only hide the surgical marks of his bionic hands - notice Kalen's painful grimmace during handshake on 18th hole - and Garland's Hurculean foozles are only matched by his self-induced gimmies.  I would not bet against him in a bar fight either. Those titanium phallanges have knocked out bison.

BTW, I hope y'all didn't cause the lovely Miss Brandy to enter a convent.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Anthony Gray

« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »
If you're happy, we're happy. 

Anthony, great idea and presentation of the clash of the Titans.  I'll let you in on a secret about Garland;  his two golf gloves only hide the surgical marks of his bionic hands - notice Kalen's painful grimmace during handshake on 18th hole - and Garland's Hurculean foozles are only matched by his self-induced gimmies.  I would not bet against him in a bar fight either. Those titanium phallanges have knocked out bison.

BTW, I hope y'all didn't cause the lovely Miss Brandy to enter a convent.

Slag,

THanks we had a blast. You are a folk hero in Walla Walla, the story about stealing the cow..I want to party with you. Thanks for the drink by the way and congrats on a job well done. The only complaints Garland had was about some of the bunkering. The fairway bunker on 7, right bunker on 13, greenside on 16 and the right fairway bunker on 17. Garland just keep going on and on about how he disliked these. I'm glad I was Kalen's caddy. I hope WV opens more doors for your talents to be expressed.

Anthony

Norbert P

« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2009, 10:45:46 AM »
 Garland pulls no punches.  I thought he'd like the roughness of the bunker right on 17, as it was inspired by his hair.  And the nose on the face of the 13th - his nose. 

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Garland Bayley

« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:54 AM »
Garland pulls no punches.  I thought he'd like the roughness of the bunker right on 17, as it was inspired by his hair.  And the nose on the face of the 13th - his nose. 

This is interesting Slagbert. What other prominent features of mine do you admire?

Did you see this one?

The mounding on the par 4 7th looks like Garland laying on his back

Your best post since the Tommy N, Peter W one.
 ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back