News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.......COMPLETED
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
Anthony:

I really enjoyed this thread but in all honesty, your photos stink...this may be the BEST THREAD WITH THE WORST PHOTOS all-time champion.

Congrats Garland...you earned it, I guess  ;).

Bart

He didn't earn it...I gave it away with all my bad shots!!  If I had Tom Huckaby on the bag it would have been game over and I woulda won 10 and 8!!   ;D

Sorry Kalen,

Maybe you misunderstand the rules. The caddy does not get to hit the shots for you!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »
Anthony:

I really enjoyed this thread but in all honesty, your photos stink...this may be the BEST THREAD WITH THE WORST PHOTOS all-time champion.

Congrats Garland...you earned it, I guess  ;).

Bart

He didn't earn it...I gave it away with all my bad shots!!  If I had Tom Huckaby on the bag it would have been game over and I woulda won 10 and 8!!   ;D

Dude, you needed me on your bag! Mr 7 and 6.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »
Anthony:

Bart

Dude, you needed me on your bag! Mr 7 and 6.

Sorry Jim,

No disrepsect but it was written expressly in the rules before-hand....no person who has ever attended the University of Miami was allowed to participate in the match!!!   ;D

I coulda used you though because I think I made a mental error on #17.   :'(

BTW, nice wins over the weekend, next time you'll have to give me one per hole instead of me giving you a stroke per hole as we did!   ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »

Brandy was compensated well  I MADE IT RAIN!!

Anything you would like to say Brandy?

I agree with everyone...I am definitely underpaid!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
Anthony:

Bart

Before this site..I could not type ,spell or take photos. Now I can't type ,spell or take photos.......Please do not give up on me.

Thanks Bart,

Anthony

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »
Very entertaining guys.  Thanks for sharing.

I like this GCA version of "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf" much better  ;D .
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Anthony Gray

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »

I would sincerly like to thank everyone for their kind comments about this thread. The only things missing are MOM, a wife on an osterich, and a bunny. I hope The Grudge Match added some joy to a stressful day. Golf is great because of the peole that play it, and this event proved to be the case. Great fun and memories. Tom Huckaby you will always welcomed in any foursome I am in. Here is to the brotherhood of golf!!

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
Brilliant Anthony. Man, I laughed out loud when there was a pic of Brandy and she got her say ;D

Are you sure you're not coming to Buda?!

Eric Smith

Re: GRUDGE MATCH II - WOLF CREEK?
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
John Mayhugh (the REAL one, btw) has stepped up to the plate and accepted a fellow gcaers request to play against the Jersey Golfer himself (though uncommitted at present time) Mr. Matt Ward, sometime in the foreseeable future at Wolf Creek GC in Mesquite, NV.

Grudge Match I loser Kalen Braley has offered his services as rules official and documentarian for Grudge Match II.

Matt Ward please contact John Mayhugh asap to schedule this important golf match.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
Kalen,

To be honest, you had no chance as I had this bevy of beauties in my corner.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »
It may seem anathema to this crew but, what were the final scores? The commentary, while entertaining and reverential, was peppered with words like "high" and "tall" grass, "cart paths", "ponds" and "skull" which leads this voyuer to believe that par was never in jeopardy.

David,

Safe to say, both Garland and I shot in the 90s somwhere, myself likely being at least a few strokes worse.

The real story of the match was Garland was either making pars or big numbers while I was piling up massive amounts of bogeys.  So almost everytime he parred, he won the hole and when he didn't I was usually ready to come in with the "better" of the two bad scores.

Yes there was tall grass but it was really thin and we never had much difficulty finding our balls.  I was spraying it all over the place and only lost 1 ball.

There were 3 ponds in total and while they did feel out of place, at least they didn't feel offensive and were just place willy nilly.  Removing the ponds is the only thing I would have done different...well that and have a few shots back on 16 and 17.   :'(

Garland Bayley

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
...  Removing the ponds is the only thing I would have done different...well that and have a few shots back on 16 and 17.   :'(

What you talking about Kalen? The ponds were one of the biggest things going in your favor!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »
and to the victor goes the spoils.  Just what were those?

VERY entertaining thread - well done Anthony.  I fully enjoyed it.. and learned a lot more about what appears to be a great golf course than I would have with the normal tours done here (nothing against those btw, they are cool too). 

And well played both combatants.

Tom,

Thanks. Garland and I played 18 in the morning so I had the course scouted for photo ops. It also helped me direct Kalen since he had not seen the course before. The regret is we all had to part ways after the match.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Tom, Bill, Bart, Eric, Patrick, and anyone else I may have missed, thank you for the kind words. I would not have been able to do it with out my yellow secret weapon.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
and to the victor goes the spoils.  Just what were those?

VERY entertaining thread - well done Anthony.  I fully enjoyed it.. and learned a lot more about what appears to be a great golf course than I would have with the normal tours done here (nothing against those btw, they are cool too). 

And well played both combatants.

Tom,

Thanks. Garland and I played 18 in the morning so I had the course scouted for photo ops. It also helped me direct Kalen since he had not seen the course before. The regret is we all had to part ways after the match.

Anthony

I'm not sure that was called playing ... more like being harassed for being old and slow.
;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2009, 05:37:18 PM »
Couple of comments:

Job well done Anthony, that was a blast to view!

Kalen looks like an oversized version of Gary Player with the men in black going on.

Brandy is underpaid!

Scott,

THank you and I am pleased you enjoyed it. Both players are well over 6 feet and 300 so I was not sure if we should have a grudge match or a cage match.

All the Best Scott,

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »
Very entertaining fellas...Garland congratulations on winning The Grudge Match.

Thank you for taking the time to make it happen and for airing it here on our local station.

I nominate Grudge Match II to be played at Wolf Creek GC in Mesquite, NV, between Matt Ward and John Mayhugh.  I think that would be fantastic, colorful and very educational.

If John Mayhugh is in it then why not just play it at Augusta National so we all can come?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »
Couple of comments:

Job well done Anthony, that was a blast to view!

Kalen looks like an oversized version of Gary Player with the men in black going on.

Brandy is underpaid!

Scott,

THank you and I am pleased you enjoyed it. Both players are well over 6 feet and 300 so I was not sure if we should have a grudge match or a cage match.

All the Best Scott,

Anthony

300 what?

I'll have you know I'm a trim and slim 275, and I walked and played Indian Canyon and Palouse Ridge the very next day. I told you it is only the baggy clothes that deceive.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2009, 05:41:55 PM »
Brilliant Anthony. Man, I laughed out loud when there was a pic of Brandy and she got her say ;D

Are you sure you're not coming to Buda?!

Scott,

I promise we'll get together for a round of golf next year. Thanks.

Anthony

Richard Choi

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
I must say the photo essay of a match play is really a great way to introduce a course to a crowd like this.

We definitely should try to arrange more events like this in the future. Especially for courses that are high on our lists.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
Concur with Richard.. and methinks this could give Anthony an alternative profession.

;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
I'll admit to being a skeptic about the whole grudge match, but agree the WWOG approach is a fun way to look at a course.  Luck or genius on Anthony's part?  We'll never know.  The photos made for some tough viewing in spots, with undersized ones at the beginning and then infuriatingly cropped ones later on.  But overall I liked the concept.

The only problem with playing a grudge match at Wolf Creek is that means I would have to visit the course again.  I'm joking.  I don't mind WC too much, it's just that I don't hold it in the same esteem as some others do.  Plus the trip out to Vegas isn't all that appealing right now.  Now if Matt could arrange to hold such a match at Pine Valley (a course that he compared some aspects of WC to), then my schedule is pretty flexible.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:58:35 PM by John Mayhugh »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
I'll admit to being a skeptic about the whole grudge match, the the WWOG approach is a fun way to look at a course.  Luck or genius on Anthony's part?  We'll never know.  The photos made for some tough viewing in spots, with undersized ones at the beginning and then infuriatingly cropped ones later on.  But overall I liked the concept.

The only problem with playing a grudge match at Wolf Creek is that means I would have to visit the course again.  I'm joking.  I don't mind WC too much, it's just that I don't hold it in the same esteem as some others do.  Plus the trip out to Vegas isn't all that appealing right now.  Now if Matt could arrange to hold such a match at Pine Valley (a course that he compared some aspects of WC to), then my schedule is pretty flexible.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
Tom,

Agree 100%, it was an excellent format and the pics with the commentary were perfect. 

John,

I agree about the photos, it really makes putting together a solid course review very difficult now.  You can either go with smaller pics and make em fit with poor viewing, or bigger pics and have the right hand side chopped off for more poor viewing.  I really really hope Ran and Co. find a solution to this sooner rather than later.

As for a Pine Valley Grudge Match, you betcha I'd be up for officiating/documentating that especially if we all got to play a practice round that morning before the real match in the afternoon!!   ;D  ;D

P.S.  My vote is for Anthony being a genius....a GCA.com star is born!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:02:01 PM by Kalen Braley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2009, 06:02:04 PM »
I'll admit to being a skeptic about the whole grudge match, the the WWOG approach is a fun way to look at a course.  Luck or genius on Anthony's part?  We'll never know.  The photos made for some tough viewing in spots, with undersized ones at the beginning and then infuriatingly cropped ones later on.  But overall I liked the concept.

The only problem with playing a grudge match at Wolf Creek is that means I would have to visit the course again.  I'm joking.  I don't mind WC too much, it's just that I don't hold it in the same esteem as some others do.  Plus the trip out to Vegas isn't all that appealing right now.  Now if Matt could arrange to hold such a match at Pine Valley (a course that he compared some aspects of WC to), then my schedule is pretty flexible.

;D

I think the smiling face means Anthony is already packing to perform the documentation duties for that one too. Let's insist he take Brandy and pay her double time for her selfless duty.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back