News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »

Brandy just left for mojitos....will post the finish when she gets back.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
To my defense on 16....the bunker was not playing voo-doo mind tricks on me.  It was a simple issue of picking the wrong time to have one of those long pulls left.  Sadly that is the fate of a chronic left to right player.

And to compound that I got a horrific lie in the gunch.  It was sitting on top of a tuft of grass at least an inch or two off the ground.  I would have much prefferred the hard pan for a recovery.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:51 PM »
Going back to the 15th hole....Garlands ball was indeed headed straight for the bunker if it hadn't of been for the rake.  As it turn out it didn't matter, but ahh man that was a love bounce if I ever saw one.

(I had the best angle to see it being past him with my 2nd shot and over to the right with a much better angle to the green for my 3rd shot.)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
To my defense on 16....the bunker was not playing voo-doo mind tricks on me.  It was a simple issue of picking the wrong time to have one of those long pulls left.  Sadly that is the fate of a chronic left to right player.

And to compound that I got a horrific lie in the gunch.  It was sitting on top of a tuft of grass at least an inch or two off the ground.  I would have much prefferred the hard pan for a recovery.

It's all in the subconscious Sandman, all in the subconscious.
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »

It's all in the subconscious Sandman, all in the subconscious.
 ;)

Lol...with all of the "Kalen was lucky" comments, count yourself fortunate I picked the wrong time to hit a bad shot.  ;)  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »
Anthony,

Will you get to the final hole already....the suspense is killing me...

What happens!!!     ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
I'll tell you what happens! Anthony goes gonzo about some rules infraction, fisticuffs follow and the knockout punch is delivered.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
I think maybe Craig met Brandy for those mojitos.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »

18...What a great finishing hole. Down hill par 5 of 520 yards. Generous driving area. One neat feature is a small centerline bunker around 80 yards from the green. It is small but the slopes around it can funnel balls into it. Brilliant. The green has a backstop that allows the player to challenge the green in two.

Off the tee Garland up one places his tee ball in the center of the fairway. Kalen drives in the high grass on the left side.

Garland skulls a 7 wood to 160. Kalen punches across the fairway into the right rough 195 out.

Kalen drills a 3 wood that lands on the green and rolls up the backstop and stays. Garland hits one of his best of the day to 15 feet.

He needs to 3 putt to tie the hole and win the match.

Garland wins 1 up!!

Tom Huckaby

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.......COMPLETED
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
and to the victor goes the spoils.  Just what were those?

VERY entertaining thread - well done Anthony.  I fully enjoyed it.. and learned a lot more about what appears to be a great golf course than I would have with the normal tours done here (nothing against those btw, they are cool too). 

And well played both combatants.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »
Well I gave it my best shot, but my Tee game just wasn't working that day.  With as wide as those fairways were, I think I still only managed to hit half of em. I wish I could blame my back or Garland talking in my back swing on the loss, but alas it was a fairly contested match.

The course is indeed a blast Tom and it really is worth the effort to play it, even though its fairly remote.  Although there is a regional airport only 30-40 minutes away!!   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

This is in the process of delivering the knockout punch. The ball finished on the right lip of the cup, and didn't fall, but then it didn't need to fall for the win.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
and to the victor goes the spoils.  Just what were those?

VERY entertaining thread - well done Anthony.  I fully enjoyed it.. and learned a lot more about what appears to be a great golf course than I would have with the normal tours done here (nothing against those btw, they are cool too). 

And well played both combatants.

Slag had arranged to buy us drinks in the club house, so we went inside to commiserate on a great day.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
Congratulations, Garland, great match.  Way to hang in there Kalen.  That a most entertaining and highly suspenseful match!

Thanks for all the great photos and commentary, Anthony.  Tell Brandy thanks for the gud speling.  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
Congratulations, Garland, great match.  Way to hang in there Kalen.  That a most entertaining and highly suspenseful match!

Thanks for all the great photos and commentary, Anthony.  Tell Brandy thanks for the gud speling.  ;D

Thanks Bill,

My only complaint to this thread is that those pictures make me look fat.  I swear, in person I look much more similar to The Governator Arnold S!!   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
Well I gave it my best shot, but my Tee game just wasn't working that day.  With as wide as those fairways were, I think I still only managed to hit half of em. I wish I could blame my back or Garland talking in my back swing on the loss, but alas it was a fairly contested match.

The course is indeed a blast Tom and it really is worth the effort to play it, even though its fairly remote.  Although there is a regional airport only 30-40 minutes away!!   ;D

And, contrary to what Jonathan Cummings would have you think, the wine touring is a big item there also. At the bed and breakfast, we met a vacationing wine industry person from California that was there for the fine wine.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »

Thanks Bill,

My only complaint to this thread is that those pictures make me look fat.  I swear, in person I look much more similar to The Governator Arnold S!!   ;D

Kalen,

It was just the baggy clothes we wore. Anyone could see that! No worries.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
Couple of comments:

Job well done Anthony, that was a blast to view!

Kalen looks like an oversized version of Gary Player with the men in black going on.

Brandy is underpaid!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Eric Smith

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
Very entertaining fellas...Garland congratulations on winning The Grudge Match.

Thank you for taking the time to make it happen and for airing it here on our local station.

I nominate Grudge Match II to be played at Wolf Creek GC in Mesquite, NV, between Matt Ward and John Mayhugh.  I think that would be fantastic, colorful and very educational.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »
Very entertaining fellas...Garland congratulations on winning The Grudge Match.

Thank you for taking the time to make it happen and for airing it here on our local station.

I nominate Grudge Match II to be played at Wolf Creek GC in Mesquite, NV, between Matt Ward and John Mayhugh.  I think that would be fantastic, colorful and very educational.

Its even close enough where I could be there in a quick half days drive to officiate and comment/take photos of all the action.  ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

Bill,

Thank you for your comments. The past three days have been crazy in my office. All the tooth aches and abcesses waited until I got back. Thank you for allowing The Grudge Match to add a little joy to your day. You are a good man.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »

Bill,

Thank you for your comments. The past three days have been crazy in my office. All the tooth aches and abcesses waited until I got back. Thank you for allowing The Grudge Match to add a little joy to your day. You are a good man.

Anthony

Scott and I and the others who thanked and congratulated you are what, chopped liver?

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »
I should also give a huge thanks to Anthony for:

1)  Insulting Garland often to rile him up
2)  Giving me all the favorable decisions.
3)  Helping me with reads on the green while giving Garland bad information.
4)  Making sure to take tons of pictures doing Garlands backswing.

In all seriousness though, AG was a fine moderator to the match and I appreciated him taking copious notes on the shot by shot breakdown for all of the holes.  At times its almost seemed untrackable due to at least a few holes being won with a double bogey...but I guess thats what you get when two high cappers square off....never a dull moment and no such thing as a "safe" lead.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
Anthony:

I really enjoyed this thread but in all honesty, your photos stink...this may be the BEST THREAD WITH THE WORST PHOTOS all-time champion.

Congrats Garland...you earned it, I guess  ;).

Bart

Kalen Braley

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
Anthony:

I really enjoyed this thread but in all honesty, your photos stink...this may be the BEST THREAD WITH THE WORST PHOTOS all-time champion.

Congrats Garland...you earned it, I guess  ;).

Bart

He didn't earn it...I gave it away with all my bad shots!!  If I had Tom Huckaby on the bag it would have been game over and I woulda won 10 and 8!!   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back