News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_Reilly

Re: USA (The Final Frontier)
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
Kevin is probably paying a weight penalty on the flight to Bandon right now after finishing three Olympic burgers...total eating time was about 20 seconds, I think.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Mayhugh

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2009, 11:57:12 PM »

4 pages and not a single photo of the young lad ...

I posted a pic of him on one of the Fishers threads.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »
Kevin R

What can I say - the burgers at Olympic are simple delicious - I had room for more ?? 8) Hope you finished the Ocean course OK ?

Mike

Cheers for the golf lesson yesterday. What was it - 4 birdies and a 76 ? My "easy" par on 18 was about as high as it got for me (along with the burgers)......and thanks for the "young" part  :P

Carl

There's a few "lesser lights" thrown in here and there for good measure.

Mayday

The weather was foul but not as bad as being snowed out at Ballyneal  :'(
When I get more time to reflect once I'm home - I'll post some more detailed reviews.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
Unfortunately - I got caught in a snow storm at Ballyneal so didn't get to view it in all it's splendour. Cheers Mike B for driving all the way up from Denver to accompany me.

I then flew to the west coast where I toured San Francisco GC in the morning which had some scale and interesting topography changes.

I then played it's next door rival in The Olympic Club which was interesting in the way that the design moves across the ridges and the number of camber fairways.

In a plane upto Coos Bay and a game at Bandon Dunes today. The width off the tee was refreshing and some really cool holes are scattered throughout the layout.

I did a quick walk of Pacific Dunes - which has many WOW moments and are lookiing forward to playing it and Old Macdonald tomorrow.

(BTW - if any GCAers are at Bandon over the next few days - I'd like to try and meet you)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:34:12 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Mike Benham

« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »

4 rounds with Benham.........no picture, no rounds on the Lake....

Without thread-jacking this thread, here are the only photos that are appropriate for a game at the Nig ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2009, 10:32:12 PM »

4 rounds with Benham.........no picture, no rounds on the Lake....

Without thread-jacking this thread, here are the only photos that are appropriate for a game at the Nig ...

GOLD!!!!

Ash Towe

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2009, 12:13:36 AM »
Kevin,
Hope you have good weather at Bandon and the resort lives upto expectations. :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »
Kevin,
Hope you have good weather at Bandon and the resort lives upto expectations. :)

Hopefully this forecast is one of the times when they get it wrong..

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USOR0023

Kevin,

Looks like you are having an epic trip...way to go!!

Mike Bowline

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »
For all who are following Kevin's trip, he got more than snowed-out at Ballyneal. The 4" of fresh snow and the cloudy, dreary day made seeing ANY of the beautiful ground movement impossible: everything was just a big whiteout. No fairway or green contours were visible at all.

We realized a snow-out is worse than a rainout: at least on a rain day you can slog across the course and see the contours.

So we sat in the bar and planned his next trip to the USA, with a return to BN near the top of his list   ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2009, 11:19:01 PM »
Ash

Who said it blows in Bandon ?  :D

Crickeys the winds barely gotten to a 1 club breeze both days I've been up here. The setting is superb and worth the trip alone to see. Yesterday was bright sunshine and today was calm with just a little bit of cloud cover.

I played Pacific Dunes in the morning and the fairway corridors played significantly wider than at first glance. My 1 over on the B9 was surpassed by a hole in one by one of my playing partners on the 10th  :o

Old Macdonald was a load of fun. It brought back sooo many memories from playing in GB&I. I then toured the routing and I think the 17th P5 maybe "THE BEST P5" I've ever seen from Mr Doak ?

Bandon Trails tomorrow before I head back to California.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2009, 11:54:33 PM »
For all who are following Kevin's trip, he got more than snowed-out at Ballyneal. The 4" of fresh snow and the cloudy, dreary day made seeing ANY of the beautiful ground movement impossible: everything was just a big whiteout. No fairway or green contours were visible at all.

We realized a snow-out is worse than a rainout: at least on a rain day you can slog across the course and see the contours.

So we sat in the bar and planned his next trip to the USA, with a return to BN near the top of his list   ;)

Mike

I've always been keen to walk routings but even I had to say no to your suggestion on walking the 18 in the snow  ;)

Ballyneal and Prarie Dunes will be at/near the top of the list when I return (hopefully again one day)

Michael Robin

« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2009, 02:56:47 AM »
Kevin -

When they called me to see if you were still coming, I figured that you would have maybe a cold day ahead of you, but I did not know that you got snowed out! Damn, sorry about that, but I think I did warn you it could happen. I don't think that will happen on Saturday.

Enjoy SF and I'm glad you went to Bandon. Travel safely and see you soon.

Scott Warren

« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2009, 04:43:57 AM »
Glad you're having a great trip, KP. Making me wish it was a year away already!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »
Mike

I believe you did say it could get "iffy" at that time of year.  :)

I take what ever golfing weather I'm given and by and large it's been good so far on the trip save for a few "gumboot" days.

Kalen

It's raining in Bandon at the moment - to get in 2 good days out of 3 given the forecast I'm OK with.

Go Phillies  :D

mike_malone

« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »
 Kevin,

So what is your take on Phillies' fans?
AKA Mayday

Ash Towe

« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »
Kevin,

Really glad you found Bandon to your liking.  On a fine clear day its as good as it gets.

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
Mike

I'm not normally a baseball fan but I've gotten into it since I've been over here. I think it will be tough for the Phillies to repeat against the Yankees so will "root" for the lesser light.  (Is that how you say it over here) ? ;D Your fans seem to be quite "passionate" I'll admit.

Ash

The sun has broken through and it looks as though it might fine up - it is indeed a special place. For those back home in Australia - Bandon is similar in feel to the National - though on the scale of things - Bandon has a much stronger set of courses.

Mike Benham

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »

ed_getka

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »
Kevin,
   It was great to catch up with you last night on the phone before you head back home. I think your trip provided you a great survey of a variety of architectural styles and land formations that some great courses have been built on. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you slowly emerge from sensory overload over the next year or two. :) It was a great pleasure to have the opportunity to get together while you were here with John, Jason, and Donnie. I'm sure you'll do some great daydreaming on the long flight home. I'll send you the pix I took after you get settled in back at home.

Mike,
    More pix of our intrepid world traveler please.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Benham

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »

Mike,
    More pix of our intrepid world traveler please.

Mark_F

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
There's no wonder Kevin looks so concerned on the tee - he realises he has to have another bite of that thing.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »
There's no wonder Kevin looks so concerned on the tee - he realises he has to have another bite of that thing.

Wrong course.

Mark_F

« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2009, 06:22:31 PM »

Wrong course.

Thank God.

Here I am thinking that Cypress serves dog food during a round.

What is it?  Some transatlantic attempt at Australia's national dish, the steak sandwich?

The wrapper looks more inviting... :)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2009, 10:52:19 PM »

Wrong course.

Thank God.

Here I am thinking that Cypress serves dog food during a round.

What is it?  Some transatlantic attempt at Australia's national dish, the steak sandwich?

The wrapper looks more inviting... :)

Don't worry, I don't think you'll ever need to try it. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
Well the sojourn has come to an end  :'(

To finish my quick take of the courses I saw over the past week or so

Was impressed with Bandon Trails - could anyone have done better on that terrain ?

I then played the revamped California Club. Kyle Phillips has done a mighty fine job and it is every bit as good as the other premium San Fran layouts.

It was then followed by a Mackenzie double Cypress Point and Pasatiempo. The routing of the former in the dunes / forest / cliff tops was impressive. The skies were clear but it was a 2-3 club breeze (15-25 mph) I believe ? I can say I knocked my driver across the ocean and onto the 16th - nervous - hell yeah  ;D

Pasatiempo was also very impressive. I loved the variety on the B9.

The Mackenzie fix was followed by a game on the interesting routed Shore course at MPCC. Never bet Mr Huntley for money - he proceeds to play "his best game in a year" to skin me alive  ;) I also toured the Dunes course and Pacific Grove layouts.

I met the "Bookman" in Monterey before driving down via The Valley Club of Montecito to LAX. The Valley club has done some nice incorporation of the creek that runs through it and some typical Mackenzie width off the tee.

I then finished my trip with a game at Riviera today. Boy was it tough with some really neat holes in the mix.

I've had a fantastic time and meeting all the GCAers I came across was easily the highlight of the trip. Thanks for making my stay such an enjoyable one and I look forward to adding some expanded thoughts in various threads when I get home.

Mike

Cheers for the pix - will download mine when I get a chance  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:13:30 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back