News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: USA (The Final Frontier)
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 09:29:30 PM »
Some initial thoughts on some of the other courses I've seen thus far....

Shinnecock was a treat - the fairways were much wider than I had anticipated and the greens as true as I've putted on. Consistent greatness throughout.

Friars Head is an awesome course. Some of the holes have to be seen to be believed. As my first C&C course - I was mightily impressed.

National is a study in architecture. Is there more movement anywhere in a first hole green than it ?

Sebanock is a tough course. It's best holes are easily amongst those close to the ocean

Fishers Island - speaking of ocean - what a combination of routing, variety and setting...WOW !!

Winged Foot a great club. The East is a mighty fine layout and is a perfect complement to the West.

Merion what a study in angles. Consistent quality throughout.

I have had a blast thus far and have had a great time putting GCA faces to names - have mightily enjoyed your hospitality.....and look forward to that to come.

Thanks guys.

Sean Leary

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »
Good to see you are getting to see so many average courses.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »
Sean

Can you possibly put in an advance request for a fine weather day on that one ?  ;D

The weather was so bad today - that they didn't even have the wicker baskets out at Merion  :'(

Sean Leary

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:10 PM »
Already ordered Kevin.

I played Merion on a day without the baskets myself.

Sandy Smith

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
Kevin

Unless you can get on private clubs like Pine Valley or Cypress go to Bandon . You have four great courses plus the Sheep Ranch . It does not get any better than that . Then hop a flight to Vancouver and give me a call .
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

JC Jones

« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »
Great stuff Kevin.  Congrats on getting such a wonderful education and some great experiences.  I hope your trip continues to be great as you make your way west.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2009, 06:21:33 AM »
Kevin,

It was a pleasure playing with you the other day. Sorry for putting you through the agony of watching my swing for 18 holes.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
Sandy

Cheers for that. Can you please tell me more about Sheep Ranch ? Where is it in relation to Bandon ?

JC

The weather for the past few days has been horrid. Much like Melbourne in winter time but probably worse  :P

I spent the day today getting an education of Flynn at Rolling Green and Lancaster - boy he was good at subtelty.

Donnie

You didn't see the way I scrapped my way around FI in the AM. Ed's shoulders are probably still sore from carrying me around. That coupled with an 11hr drive would have been a huge load for anyone to bear !! I'll bet he's still recovering.....

I improved immensely in the PM - maybe because of the line's that you showed me ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »
Today I saw my second C&C course at Hidden Creek. What a wonderfull course and so immensely playable for all level of golfers. The club and lodge are absolutely first class experiences.

I also took a quick trip to Atlantic City and it has some interesting collection of holes and a very charmed clubhouse. The holes closest to the marshes are it's best for mine.

Given the amout of rain they've had in the area recently both were in excellent shape.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
Recently I had the opportunity the visit Pine Valley to see their "old" and "short" courses. PV is as an exacting test of golf one could hope to find. The short course looked like a load of fun with 8 of the 10 holes having replicable shots of the main course.

I then visited Galloway and both courses at the Seaview Resort. I wasn't overly enamoured by the later but Fazio did a fine job at Galloway.

Today - I continued my trek into the mid-west and spent the day studying the wonderful layout that is Sand Hills. I could have sworn I was in GB&I with the sandy dunes but couldn't for the life of me see water anywhere. WOW !! what a course !!  ;D

Tomorrow is Ballyneal and it will be interesting to view it in comparison to it's cross state rival....

I'm having a blast and have enjoyed meeting the GCAers that have made my trip a load of fun

Jim Colton

« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Way to go, Kevin!  You are certainly doing it up right.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:58 PM »
Jim

I must say the accommodation at Ballyneal is first rate as was the greeting. Can't say I've rocked up to too many "out of the way" places with a personal guide, barman and chef waiting to serve me. Boy the members are spoilt  8)

Ben Sims

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2009, 11:08:09 PM »
I just started following this thread.  

Kevin.  Wow!  I'm speechless.  Which if you hang around here very much, you know that doesn't happen often.

Cherish these memories and the study you're getting.  Many of us would sacrifice a lot to see the great works you're getting to study.  Enjoy Ballyneal my friend.  The burgers are particularly tasty.  And try to meet Mr. Rupert O'Neal if you can.  He made our night at the Turtle Bar last June. 

And pay attention that 15th hole.  There is a hole in Ireland that bears a striking resemblance.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2009, 11:19:11 PM »
Ben

I am most certainly getting a great education as to the different styles of architecture both modern and historic throughout America. One thing that has stood out for me thus far has been the emphasis on the greens and their surrounds. I cant believe how quick the greens are at some of the locations I've visited.

I will post in greater detail my thoughts on the courses I've been seeing - when I return home and have had time to digest the whole trip. At the moment I will try and give a quick take of my thoughts on the courses I'm seeing.

BTW - it's snowing here in Colorado at the moment.....cant say I'm used to that sort of thing back home in Australia  :)

Mark_F

« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
BTW - it's snowing here in Colorado at the moment.....cant say I'm used to that sort of thing back home in Australia  :)

Surely the rain and hail you constantly experience in Sydney is very close?

You said about Flynn's work at Lancaster and Rolling Green that he was good at subtlety - any other courses better him at that particular element?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
Mark

I've particulalry liked some of the work C&C have done at Hidden Creek and some of the flatter parts of Friars Head. Some of the approaches to greensites have been amazing and the fallaways to chipping areas have been superbly crafted.

I think we're certinaly in for a treat at Lost Farm - if the above is anything to go by.

Jim Colton

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2009, 11:53:39 PM »
Jim

I must say the accommodation at Ballyneal is first rate as was the greeting. Can't say I've rocked up to too many "out of the way" places with a personal guide, barman and chef waiting to serve me. Boy the members are spoilt  8)

Now that you mention it, I was talking to Matt P. this morning and asked why he was working since it was 35 degrees and snowing there.  He said 'Well, we got a guy coming later to play tomorrow.'  You would be that guy.  Enjoy!

Ash Towe

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
Kevin,

They say Sand Hills and Ballyneal are golfing retreats.  You seem to be proving that point :)

Good luck with the rest of the trip.

mike_malone

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2009, 03:13:41 PM »
 Kevin,

I look forward to your more detailed descriptions of the courses you visited. I need more than "sublety" after waliking in the rain with 5 layers on to give you the entire history of every blade of grass at Rolling Green ;D
AKA Mayday

Scott Warren

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
Kevin,

I look forward to your more detailed descriptions of the courses you visited. I need more than "sublety" after waliking in the rain with 5 layers on to give you the entire history of every blade of grass at Rolling Green ;D

;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
Kevin,

You, of all people, should be accepting of just a one word description.   :D

mike_malone

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
 You're a smart guy Mr. Mayhugh.
AKA Mayday

Mike Benham

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »

4 pages and not a single photo of the young lad ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2009, 10:22:44 PM »
4 rounds with Benham.........no picture, no rounds on the Lake....I'd like to file a reverse age discrimination suit with Huckaby and/or Pieracci.....someone with a decent education.....

BTW, kudos to Kevin for such an inspiring trip. And when I say inspiring, I'm talking about surviving a round with Getka AND Mayhugh......
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
Kevin, you appear to be missing out on an important part of the golf experience here in the U.S. -- playing non-top 100 courses!  

Looks like a great trip; hope you're continuing to enjoy it.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back