News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Re: USA (The Final Frontier)
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2009, 05:36:20 AM »
How time flies....in a few days time I'll be jumping on a plane to start the sojourn....thanks to all who have assisted me in the preparation of this trip along the way

A quick question re: Bandon. Is there anything else worth seeing or doing whilst in the area ? Is it easy to get around whilst there ? Am tossing up whether to hire a car - or does one just eat, play and sleep golf at the Resort ?

Kevin,
   No reason to leave the resort at all. The only conceivable reason I would leave is to drive south down the coast to Gold Beach to see the sea stacks and enjoy the scenery along the way. Given your timetable though I wouldn't be anywhere but on the golf courses at Bandon from sunrise to sunset. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Warren

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2009, 05:41:35 AM »
KP,

I hear you are going to have the pleasure of meeting Mr Mayhugh during your travels. You are in for a treat. Have a great time.

Any chance of you making us all insanely jealous with your list of courses?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 08:47:59 AM »
Ed

I get your drift - though your recent 54 hole effort will take some beating  ;)

Scott

I am looking forward to meeting Mr Mayhugh plus a host of many GCAers with whom I've been in contact with. Besides studying the "great" architectural works in the US - that's the side of the trip I'm most keen about as putting faces to names will make the experience all the more pleasurable.

As for my itinerary - some six months ago I wrote down a list of around 15 courses that I had ever wished of seeing. I've read about them in countless of books, watched US Opens and tour events on many of them and through some concerted efforts and kind generosity - would you believe all of them have been accommodated plus more. It has certainly been a dream come true and I can’t wait to experience it.

As a bit of a guide: to date – I’ve seen five Doak 10’s: TOC / RM / Royal Dornoch / Ballybunion / Muirfield. Hopefully by the end of the trip I can add at least six or seven others and truly appreciate the architecture I’m seeing.

Attached are the regions within which I'll be seeing courses. Some are play - some are walk - as the body at 40 couldn't hold up to three weeks of continuous golf. I listed a couple of nights a few posts back where it may be possible to catch up with me on my trip – please let me know as I fly out mid-next week.

The golfing trip starts in NY on 11th Oct:
-   3 days on Long Island: a couple of courses around Bethpage + a few courses in Southampton. I then travel further afield incl. a ferry trip. I then head back down to see a couple of courses around Mamaroneck.
-   I then head to Philadelphia around 16th Oct and see a few courses in / around Ardmore and I’m trying to work out whether I can possibly get out to Lancaster (RC) ?
-   I then head to NJ where I experience some C&C (Coore & Crenshaw + Crump & Colt) + Fazio in a 3 day stopover.
-   I then fly to Denver on the 20th Oct where I head over to Mullen and then back to Holyoke in a 2 day whirlwind trip
-   It’s then a quick fly in/out of San Francisco then upto Bandon for a few days of resort golf
-    Back on a plane down to Pasatiempo on the 27th and a few days in/around Monterey.
-   I then possibly drive via Santa Barbara to LAX where I finish the trip off what I’m led to believe is a Thomas gem

Three weeks of nothing but golf…..methinks I’ll need another holiday soon afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:24:57 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Scott Warren

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
Sounds awesome mate. I'm jealous. I still have to wait another year for my US odyssey!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »
Scott

I'm sure you are enjoying all your great GB&I golfing experiences - will be interested as to what you think of Baltray - when is it ?

Scott Warren

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
Baltray is on Oct 23, with Euro Club the next day and Druids the day after that.

Sean Leary

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
Ed

I get your drift - though your recent 54 hole effort will take some beating  ;)

Scott

I am looking forward to meeting Mr Mayhugh plus a host of many GCAers with whom I've been in contact with. Besides studying the "great" architectural works in the US - that's the side of the trip I'm most keen about as putting faces to names will make the experience all the more pleasurable.

As for my itinerary - some six months ago I wrote down a list of around 15 courses that I had ever wished of seeing. I've read about them in countless of books, watched US Opens and tour events on many of them and through some concerted efforts and kind generosity - would you believe all of them have been accommodated plus more. It has certainly been a dream come true and I can’t wait to experience it.

As a bit of a guide: to date – I’ve seen five Doak 10’s: TOC / RM / Royal Dornoch / Ballybunion / Muirfield. Hopefully by the end of the trip I can add at least six or seven others and truly appreciate the architecture I’m seeing.

Attached are the regions within which I'll be seeing courses. Some are play - some are walk - as the body at 40 couldn't hold up to three weeks of continuous golf. I listed a couple of nights a few posts back where it may be possible to catch up with me on my trip – please let me know as I fly out mid-next week.

The golfing trip starts in NY on 11th Oct:
-   3 days on Long Island: a couple of courses around Bethpage + a few courses in Southampton. I then travel further afield incl. a ferry trip. I then head back down to see a couple of courses around Mamaroneck.
-   I then head to Philadelphia around 16th Oct and see a few courses in / around Ardmore and I’m trying to work out whether I can possibly get out to Lancaster (RC) ?
-   I then head to NJ where I experience some C&C (Coore & Crenshaw + Crump & Colt) + Fazio in a 3 day stopover.
-   I then fly to Denver on the 20th Oct where I head over to Mullen and then back to Holyoke in a 2 day whirlwind trip
-   It’s then a quick fly in/out of San Francisco then upto Bandon for a few days of resort golf
-    Back on a plane down to Pasatiempo on the 27th and a few days in/around Monterey.
-   I then possibly drive via Santa Barbara to LAX where I finish the trip off what I’m led to believe is a Thomas gem

Three weeks of nothing but golf…..methinks I’ll need another holiday soon afterwards.

Gee, impossible to figure out what courses you possibly could be playing ;) ;)

Travel safe.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »
Sean

Best to leave somethings to one's imagination 8)

Look forward to catching up with you in CA

A Q for GCAers re: Bandon - I have 3 days golf there at 3.5 courses. How would you structure your games ? Two a day ? Any duplicates ?

Ash Towe

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »
Kevin,
Good luck with the trip.  I hope all the flights etc work out.  It will be most interesting to read your comments when you get back.
Re Bandon, once you start playing there you will not want to stop.  Have a good look at Old MacDonald, it is something special.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
Cheers Ash - thanks for your guidance along the way.

I have games booked at all the courses in Bandon thus far - would you recommend any duplicates ?

Sean Leary

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
Pacific Dunes twice...

Any luck with the Getka motor lodge? :)

ed_getka

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »
Pacific Dunes twice...

Any luck with the Getka motor lodge? :)

Am I a proprietor of a facility I don't know about?

Kevin,
   I would play all the courses once and then decide for yourself what you want to repeat. I would certainly advise a repeat on Pacific, but all the courses have their fans.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2009, 01:40:20 AM »
Sean

Accommodation in Pacific Grove has been sorted at a similar styled venue I believe ;)

Can anyone recomend accommodation OUTSIDE Bandon Resort. I'm told all the single rooms are fully booked and I'd be expected to pay around $300 a night !! Given that I'm there for 3-4 nights on top of the golf $'s that's pushing things....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:04 AM »
Sean

Accommodation in Pacific Grove has been sorted at a similar styled venue I believe ;)

Can anyone recomend accommodation OUTSIDE Bandon Resort. I'm told all the single rooms are fully booked and I'd be expected to pay around $300 a night !! Given that I'm there for 3-4 nights on top of the golf $'s that's pushing things....

Kevin,

Assuming you will be there in late October, I used the Yahoo Travel website and found a handful of rooms under $100 in the Bandon/Coos Bay area.  I'm guessing this will be your best bet!

Kalen

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
Cheers Kalen + those who sent me an IM

I've looked into a couple of alternates as I seriously cant justify $300 a night on top of $220 green fees over the course of 4 days. Whillst the $A v $US at the moment is pretty good - it ain't THAT GOOD !!  8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:00:37 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
G'day

Thanks to all who have helped me along the way - I look forward to jumping on the plane tomorrow and begining the journey....

I cant wait to meet the faces behind the names and experiencing your US culture and golf courses. You cant miss me - I'll be the relatively tall guy speaking with the funny accent   ;D

Will post when / where I can and give details of a US phone number when I get one.

My Aust. phone will be on from time to time +61 458 231 666

Ash Towe

« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
Best of luck.

Enjoy.

Matt Day

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »
G'day

Thanks to all who have helped me along the way - I look forward to jumping on the plane tomorrow and begining the journey....

I cant wait to meet the faces behind the names and experiencing your US culture and golf courses. You cant miss me - I'll be the relatively tall guy speaking with the funny accent   ;D

Will post when / where I can and give details of a US phone number when I get one.

My Aust. phone will be on from time to time +61 458 231 666

relatively tall is a bit of an understatement...hope your flying business class

enjoy the trip mate

ed_getka

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
See you next week "Stretch". :)

Mike Benham

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »

SFO to Pasa is 45 minutes or so depending on time of day.

That trip is 60 miles ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ed_getka

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »

SFO to Pasa is 45 minutes or so depending on time of day.

That trip is 60 miles ...

Well I guess SFO is north of Pleasanton then, because it took me 45 minutes from Pleasanton and I figured they were about the same. I will pass on my egregious error to Kevin when I see him soon. :) Should be hitting terra firma pretty soon now.

Mike Benham

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »
That trip is only 55 miles, much more likely to do in 45 minutes ... at 2 AM with no traffic ...

But Ed, I didn't mean to question your driving times, your drives down to Rustic are legendary, just don't expect those not familiar with Bay Area roads to duplicate your times ...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:10:37 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ed_getka

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »
That trip is only 55 miles, much more likely to do in 45 minutes ... at 2 AM with no traffic ...

But Ed, I didn't mean to question your driving times, your drives down to Rustic are legendary, just don't expect those not familiar with Bay Area roads to duplicate your times ...

Good point Mike. :)

Kevin,
     Are you out there?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Cmon,

SFO to Pasa is pretty much a straight shot.

101 South,
To 92 East,
To 280 South,
To 85 South,
To 17 South....
Get off before  you hit Hwy 1...

Piece of Cake!!   ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
Kevin,

Are you out there?

Ed

I'm here  ;)

G'day !!

After spending a day or so getting to the East Coast of America - I was able to "relax" for a few days sightseeing around NYC. We stayed right on Times Square and I can't say I'm used to the throng of people but it was cool to experience the sights and sounds of NY. There is so much to see and do and although Mark Chalfant was a fine tourist guide even he couldn't show me everything (Cheers again Mark) ;D

THE GOLF TRIP started today at Garden City and Bethpage - both complete opposites in terms of topography but strong courses all the same. I will post more thoughts - when and where I have the time - but the weather was truly superb for golf today.

I look forward to Shinnecock Hills and Friars Head tomorrow....

BTW - I can be contacted on 917 969 5977 whilst in America and I look forward to meeting other GCAers very soon

Cheers
KP
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:53:34 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back