News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

Pebble Beach and imitation dunes
« on: August 05, 2009, 03:48:31 AM »
Reading through Geoff Shackelford's Grounds for Golf again, I came accross the Pebble Beach part where he talks about the imitation dunes which were added by Chandler Egan in 1929 and later removed because of high maintainence costs. I personally thought they looked quit interesting.

Do you like them?

Does anybody know whether they're likely to be restored in the future?

Adam Clayman

Re: Pebble Beach and imitation dunes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »
Emil,
 I highly doubt such a feat would be re-attempted. Firstly, the prevailing mindset that currently inhabits the corporate structure of the PB Co. is not what anyone could confuse with "purist". All one has to do is look at recent work done to the course to know this as a certainty. So, expectations of restoring the dunes like look at both Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill is but a fantasy.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
Emil
I like the dunes too...maybe some day. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:59:40 AM by Tom MacWood »

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »
Why doesn't that style of imitation dunes get used more often?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
I liked to look of what Egan tried at Pebble but wondered how difficult it is to keep the local vegaitation from encroaching on the exposed sand.

Does Cypress keep it in check or do they even try? I know from the pics I've seen of Maidstone it appears that there is little expsoed sand.

Anyone have details of other courses where there is a siginicant amlount of exposed sand? What about at Pacific Dunes or Friar's Head?

It would seem to me that inevitably nature would win that battle.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back