News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Rammell

New Member Introduction New
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »

In my opinion, golf course architecture doesn't matter until you've played a really good one. I "saw the light" at Bandon Dunes Resort this spring and have spent a lot of time reflecting on why good holes are good, and what makes a great golf course stand out from the rest. Hole 16 at Pacific Dunes still keeps me up at night . . . I've played it twice and can't figure out which way to play it next time. I hope to keep my camera handy and post some threads about some of my favorite holes in my area and discuss the strategy involved. Looking forward to jumping in the circus!  

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:28:41 PM by Jed Rammell »

Kalen Braley

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Jed,

Welcome to the group and great to have you aboard.

You'll do fine here just as long as you remember I never lie and I'm always right!!  ;D

P.S.  Lets get together sooner rather than later and play some gawf.

Jed Rammell

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
Kalen - -

The Utahns need to stick together . . . I can be your wingman  :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:51:31 AM »
Jed,

Jon Nolan also lives here, but we've failed to get together yet even though we have tried a few times.

Perhaps in a few weeks, lets get together and go play Hobble Creek in Springville!  We'll knock out another course review and its a fun little course.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »
And you bring a sense of humor to boot! That will serve you well...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »
Hole 16 at Pacific Dunes still keeps me up at night . . . I've played it twice and can't figure out which way to play it next time. I hope to keep my camera handy and post some threads about some of my favorite holes in my area and discuss the strategy involved. Looking forward to jumping in the circus! 

Depending upon how long you are, rip a driver or 3 wood down the gut. 

Pray it stops short of the bunkers hugging the outside of the dog leg.

Then take a sand wedge, pucker your butt cheeks, and knock it on the green.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
Jed,

Please change your first name.

There's only room for one of us here.

Thanks,

Jed

Sean Eidson

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
I'll piggy back on Jed's introduction with one of my own.

I've been reading these discussions for about three years since stumbling on the site as part of the planning process for a trip to Bandon that finally happened this summer.  In the mean time, this board has helped awaken an interest in architecture that I'm very thankful for.  It was this board that inspired a trip to Pine Dunes in East Texas and is inspiring a trip to Black Mesa next month.  Along the way, I've picked up and read books I never would have found on my own and learned more about the formative years of Merion than I thought was possible.

I'm a 32 year old in Dallas and I play most of my golf on public courses close to downtown, and predominately at Tenison Park.  I finally asked to join the board when I felt like I had a relevant voice in a discussion that included Tenison as a potential US Open site. 

I also have a nearly 2 year old son who loves the game nearly as much as I do

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:09:01 PM »
Welcome Sean and Jed (sorry other Jed), and congrats on the young bucks. Mine's 5 now and I can't wait to enjoy a round with him.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
I'll piggy back on Jed's introduction with one of my own.

I've been reading these discussions for about three years since stumbling on the site as part of the planning process for a trip to Bandon that finally happened this summer.  In the mean time, this board has helped awaken an interest in architecture that I'm very thankful for.  It was this board that inspired a trip to Pine Dunes in East Texas and is inspiring a trip to Black Mesa next month.  Along the way, I've picked up and read books I never would have found on my own and learned more about the formative years of Merion than I thought was possible.

I'm a 32 year old in Dallas and I play most of my golf on public courses close to downtown, and predominately at Tenison Park.  I finally asked to join the board when I felt like I had a relevant voice in a discussion that included Tenison as a potential US Open site. 

I also have a nearly 2 year old son who loves the game nearly as much as I do

Sean, welcome aboard, and have a great trip to Black Mesa.  Please take time to share your thoughts about the golf couirse there when you return.  It is great stuff to me and others but there has been some back and forth about some the holes and green.  I look forward to getting yoiur reaction.

I spent three years in NE Dallas 30 years ago (near Sherrill Park where Garland and Richardson come together) and was always disappointed in the quality of public golf there.  Hopefully it has improved in the years since then.

Sean Eidson

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »
Bill,

I think 30 years has probaby treated Dallas very well, from a public golf perspective, though not disproportionately to comparable cities like Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc. 

From everything I've read, I think the City of Dallas municipals were in pretty rough shape until the recent renovations.  Both Tenison and Cedar Crest received $3 million renovations at the turn of the decade.  I prefer Tenison's layout and conditioning, but a weekend twilight walk at CC is only $18.

There are several other decent municipally owned courses in the metroplex that followed the Sherill Park (Richardson) model, like Indian Creek (Carrollton), and Texas Star (Euless).  Added to that are some high quality development courses like Castle Hills, and The Tribute that have public access.  Cowboys Golf Club is a hybrid in that the city owns the land but the course operates as a resort/high-end daily business.

Should you pass through town with ~4 hours to spare, I'd be happy to reintroduce you or anyone else to Dallas public golf.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »
Since threesomes are always better..  I might as well formally introduce myself as well.

I've been following GCA since the conception and even played golf with Ran so many years ago at Black Creek, Lookout Mtn. and that Dye course down the street in Chattanooga.  During normal working hours I am a golf architect with Mungeam Cornish Golf Design FKA Cornish, Silva and Mungeam.  OI started with Geoff, maybe the last of his Amherst Associates, became Silva's right hand guy and now still have a job. 

I live in Providence, RI with a wonderful wife (who use to golf) and two young daughters. 

I'll play anywhere once.  About every month or so I spend a few minutes looking at pictures of great golf courses!  Unfortunately it looks like I might have some more free time this month.   OK time to go home and make dinner!

Cheers

Jed Rammell

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
Hole 16 at Pacific Dunes still keeps me up at night . . . I've played it twice and can't figure out which way to play it next time. I hope to keep my camera handy and post some threads about some of my favorite holes in my area and discuss the strategy involved. Looking forward to jumping in the circus!

Depending upon how long you are, rip a driver or 3 wood down the gut.  

Pray it stops short of the bunkers hugging the outside of the dog leg.

Then take a sand wedge, pucker your butt cheeks, and knock it on the green.

I've played it twice - I hit driver at the green the first time and putted a 5 wood up the slope from 20 yards. I promised myself I would never try that shot again. Second time I hit 3 wood at the far left bunker and wedged on . . . still trying to decide if a driver hit far left is the play (btw, its my favorite hole ever).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:07:11 PM by Jed Rammell »

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
Jed,

Welcome.  I too had my architectural epiphany this spring in Bandon.  I was a lurker for a few years and have enjoyed my short time here immensely. Learn by doing, comment as much as you like.  Defend your posts until it becomes obvious you are wrong, and listen to what people say.  There is nothing worse than not realizing who you're talking to at any given time.  There's a ton of golf experience around here.  I would advise--for a short time at least--googling every name you reply to so that you will know if you're trying to tell one of our resident architects how to build a bunker, or one of our resident supers how to manage turf.

As for the best way to make par on 16 at PD.  Hit driver all the way down to the large swale short of the green.  Hit your wedge over into the back bunker.  Hit your bunker shot back across and into the swale from whence you came.  Hole your wedge back up to the green.  

Jed Rammell

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
Jed,

Please change your first name.

There's only room for one of us here.

Thanks,

Jed

Very good . . . call me D'artagnan.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
Jed,

As for the best way to make par on 16 at PD.  Hit driver all the way down to the large swale short of the green.  Hit your wedge over into the back bunker.  Hit your bunker shot back across and into the swale from whence you came.  Hole your wedge back up to the green.  

Or do like me....

1)  Tee ball in the swale
2)  In Back bunker
3)  3 shots to get out
4)  2 putt for triple.

That bunker being right behind the green from that swale is beyond brutal.  I mean why else would Tom have done that if he didn't want to massively torture folks and ruin thier rounds!!    ;)

Even in the book, Dream Golf, Tom admits the hole is unfair.....so thats good enough for me!!   ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
Welcome Sean and Jed (sorry other Jed), and congrats on the young bucks. Mine's 5 now and I can't wait to enjoy a round with him.

Five!?

Wasn't it just last week that we were having dinner together in Oxford Valley?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 09:27:07 PM »
And you bring a sense of humor to boot! That will serve you well...

Jed,

A sense of humor may be more of a curse than a blessing. So keep a couple of pictures of MOM close.

Welcome and have fun......Learn..teach..and share.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back