News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Walsh

I went to the Women's Amateur at Old Warson this morning
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
RTJ- 1954. The greens looked smaller than I thought they would be. Lots of undulation in the fairways I thought. a great piece of property. Reminded me of Bellerive, makes sense I guess since Bellerive was RTJ- 1960. Anyway I commented to my son who was with me that I couldn't put my finger on it, but something was missing while we walked the grounds, a distinctive style to the grounds, interesting bunkers, cool green complexes- all missing at least to my eye. Hardly any fairway bunkers which I thought was a plus.

Any comments on this RTJ 'classic'?
"vado pro vexillum!"

PCCraig

Re: I went to the Women's Amateur at Old Warson this morning
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
Old Warson is a very good golf course with some strong bones. I have played it twice and while I wasn't really floored by many of the holes I thought the (if I remember correctly) cape 14th was a great hole. I didn't find the course all that tough with modern day equipment but with some extra length it could regain alot of its original toughness. Also I could see the need to take out a good amount of the overgrown trees.

Of course it hosted a Ryder Cup back in the 70's, pre-Europe, in a then typical US win.

St. Louis is hosting yet another nice sized USGA event in addition to some bigger national events (last year's Western down the street). With the area hosting so many of these events over the past decade and a half can the USGA really not reward its loyalty with an Open?

H.P.S.

David Amarnek

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
I'm going to try to get over there tomorrow, should be interesting to see how the ladies handle the course.
I believe the girl that won the junior am has taken the first round lead with a 68.
OWCC is in my top 3 in the district and a lot of fun to play.
From what I hear, Bellerive has no chance for getting an open and I just don't see any other course in the area which could be an option.  I'd love to see Westwood get a USGA event (it's held 2 Western Opens).  I believe Boone Valley, Norwood Hills and St. Louis were the only other courses around which have held a USGA event.
Anyone else going tomorrow?  I may try for Friday as well.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
From what I hear, Bellerive has no chance for getting an open and I just don't see any other course in the area which could be an option.  I'd love to see Westwood get a USGA event (it's held 2 Western Opens).  I believe Boone Valley, Norwood Hills and St. Louis were the only other courses around which have held a USGA event.
Anyone else going tomorrow?  I may try for Friday as well.

These are the USGA championships that have been played in the St. Louis Area:

2 US Opens: 1947- St. Louis CC   &   1965- Bellerive CC
2 US Am: 1921 & 1960- St. Louis CC
3 US Women's Ams: 1925 & 1972- St. Louis CC   &   2009- Old Warson CC
2 US Mid Ams: 1981 (the first USGA MidAm)- Bellerive CC   &   1999- Old Warson CC
1 US Women's Mid-Am: 2001- Fox Run CC
2 USGA Publinks: 1929- Forest Park GC   &   1999- Spencer T. Olin (in Alton, Ill)
1 USGA Women's Publinks: 1996- Spencer T. Olin
1 US Junior: 2007- Boone Valley CC
1 US Senior Open: 2004- Bellerive CC
1 US Senior Am: 2001- Norwood Hills CC
1 USGA State Team: 2009- CC of St. Albans

So 9 area courses have hosted (or will host) USGA chmapionships: St. Louis CC, Bellerive, Old Warson, Fox Run, Norwood Hills, Boone Valley, Spencer T. Olin, St. Albans, & Forest Park.

Also, 9 USGA championships in a 14 year span.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back