News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Now Accepting Alternates
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »
Jamey,
Thanks for the Camden info.  The best breakfast in town sold me on the Colony.

I booked the Colony yesterday with no problem.  The fellow did ask me what the "Dixie Cup" is and I tried to explain.

Hopefully your explanation didn't include anything about spending a weekend with a bunch of guys you met on the internet. 

What doesn't sound right about that .....?

Who else is booked for the bar (I mean a room) on Thursday night at the Hotel Aiken???
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jon Heise

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
Hey guys, I had a busy Sept so Im finally getting organized for the Dixie...

Any updates about the Thursday/Monday rounds?  I'll be looking to make a week of it, so I wanted to know if anything is set so I can get the hotel stuff taken care of.

I still like Greywalls better.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
I don't know about any of you, but I am already ready for this trip....I have also analyzed the current handicaps and it looks as if the South needs to give the North some strokes!

I booked my Colony Inn room yesterday....

I still want to play an extra 9 or even 18 Friday after our round, any word if we will play more at Palmetto, or venture onto another course. I checked, Augusta won't have us!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JC Jones

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
I don't know about any of you, but I am already ready for this trip....I have also analyzed the current handicaps and it looks as if the South needs to give the North some strokes!

I booked my Colony Inn room yesterday....

I still want to play an extra 9 or even 18 Friday after our round, any word if we will play more at Palmetto, or venture onto another course. I checked, Augusta won't have us!

Did you really check?  I bet you didnt. ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »
At the risk of sounding cheap, does anyone want to room share for any nights Thurs- Sunday? Otherwise, I'll make reservations later tonight.

I played Barton Hills yesterday...I think I need to adjust my handicap up to 17...... ::)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JC Jones

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
At the risk of sounding cheap, does anyone want to room share for any nights Thurs- Sunday? Otherwise, I'll make reservations later tonight.

I played Barton Hills yesterday...I think I need to adjust my handicap up to 17...... ::)

Joe

I'll be your huckleberry, but I insist on having 2 beds in the room.  Just sayin....

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Two Spots Now Open At Palmetto!
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »
We now have 2 playing spots open at Palmetto on Friday 11/6, therefore, we have reopened registration for the Dixie Cup. A good number of positions remain available at Aiken Golf Club on Saturday and Camden CC on Sunday.

EVENT DETAILS:

Friday, November 6
  • Golf at Palmetto Golf Club www.palmettogolfclub.net
  • Play will begin prior to 8:30AM Cost:  $65 walk    $80 ride
  • Group Dinner at the private Green Boundary Club. Cost:  $40-$50 as we will cover the cost for our hosts.
  • Feature Presentation by Dr. Joe Spencer, past president of Palmetto Golf Club, on the history of the club and course.

Saturday, November 7
  • Golf at Aiken Golf Club www.aikengolfclub.com
  • Play will begin at 10:00AM Cost:  $20 walk    $30 ride
  • TRAVEL TO CAMDEN FOLLOWING GOLF
  • Casual get-together in Camden (location to be determined)

Sunday, November 8
  • Golf at Camden Country Club (will include a Dixie Cup vs Camden CC members competition)  www.camdencountryclub.com
  • Play will begin at 10:00AM Cost:  $50 walk    $65 ride
  • Award Ceremony immediately following golf!

PRE/POST DIXIE CUP GOLF:

Thursday, November 5
  • Golf at The Patriot at Grand Harbor in Ninety Six, SC designed by GCA.com's Paul Cowley for DL3  www.grandharbor.net/thepatriot.php?loc=gallery
  • Tee times available all day, but we have reserved three beginning at 12:30pm:  $30 walk or ride

Monday, November 9
  • Golf at Columbia CC or another Columbia area course
  • Tee times and cost to be determined

OFFICIAL HOTEL HEADQUARTERS:
We have made arrangements for a group rate at the following hotels. If you desire upscale accommodations there are numerous options available in Aiken and Camden... especially unique Bed & Breakfast Inns. Just do a Google search.

Aiken - Holiday Inn Express - WEBSITE
  • Located across the street from the course
  • Hotel Front Desk: 803-648-0999
  • Room Rate = $83.00 per night (might be available at a lower rate via the web)
  • Group Code = Dixie Cup

Camden Hotels: We're giving info on three hotels, the first is the one Jamey recommends most strongly.  It's a non-chain, locally owned motel that's not fancy but is reasonable, very convenient, clean, comfortable, and the cafe has the best breakfast in town.

Colony Inn

Telephone:  (803) 432-5508
Rate:  $65
Group Code:  Dixie Cup

Comfort Inn and Suites

Telephone:  (803) 425-1010
Rate:  $85
Group Code:  Dixie Cup

Holiday Inn Express

Telephone:  (803) 424-5000
These folks wouldn't give Jamey a group rate, but the place is fairly nice and reasonably convenient.

Jamey has arranged for a private room Saturday night at Indigo Jones, a downtown restaurant; He thinks some Camden members will join us.  There's also been a lot of interest in combining the final day of Dixie Cup play with a little fourball competition between Dixie Cuppers and Camden members.....  Jamey is working on setting that up.

>>> CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

>>> CLICK HERE TO VIEW REGISTRATIONS
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:34:01 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:45 AM »
I recently had the opportunity to play both Palmetto and Aiken Golf Club which are a mere stones throw apart.  It would be a BIG MISTAKE to pass on this event if you love golf course architecture.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you have an obligation to participate if time and finances permit.  I regret that I cannot attend.

Jump on it.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »
Assuming I could pull this off, what's the best airport to fly in/out of?  [I suspect this has been answered in this thread, but I don't have time right now to wade through it.]  Thx, Carl

Brent Hutto

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »
CAE is reasonably convenient and served by a few more flights than Augusta, GA. The Columbia airport is on the same side of town as Aiken so from CAE's terminal to Palmetto and Aiken golf clubs are basically a 1-hour (55 mile) straight shot with very little traffic. Coming back from Camden to CAE you would just do I-20 to I-77 to a couple miles of I-26 which takes you within a mile of the airport. Well under an hour although certain times of day traffic may make it a few minutes longer.

So the loop from CAE to Aiken, Aiken to Camden and then Camden to CAE is less than 200 miles total with the longest leg being Aiken to Camden which is roughly an hour and a half of mostly Interstate driving.

Eric Smith

Social Joe Hancock
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »
In anticipation of the Dixe Cup as well as the rescheduled 'Meet Joe Hancock' thread, I felt the need to point out that the Dixie Cuppers should be proud to have this real digger in our midst next month down south.

One of the great benefits of attending a gca event is the opportunity to meet not only your fellow posters who share a passion for great golf courses and their architecture, but also the opportunity to meet the few, the proud...the builders and the designers of the playing fields of golf. I have met Mike Nuzzo and Mike Young at some of these get-togethers and consider them to be pillars in my golf architecture evolution.

So, it appears from looking at the sign up sheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tq0vaJhjnLIKAFOX_c5UstQ&output=html that we are without any golf course architects in the field this year, but we do have a shaper named Joe.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Joe yet, but knowing folks who have, I expect Social Joe to more than hold his own 'court' over what looks to be a great crowd of gcaers gathering in South Cackalacky.  I look forward to hearing his take on a variety of subjects ranging from Jon Huntsman to El Boqueron to Fetchez La Vache.

See you in a few weeks!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »
One of my itiniraries has me arriving Columbia (CAE) on Thurs. 11/5 at 11:00 a.m. and leaving Monday 11/9 at 7:30 p.m.  I would like to play with the pre and post groups if possible, but am open to doing something else.  Does this schedule match with anyone else's who may wish to share a car or provide transportation?  I have to ticket by the end of the day.  If interested, please IM or E-Mail at lduran3@tx.rr.com.  Thanks.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »
I've not checked in with Mike Whitaker but there was early discussion of a Monday round at my home course, Columbia CC. It's about 25 minutes from Camden or downtown Columbia and 45 minutes from the Columbia airport (CAE). The course normally does not open until Noon on Mondays but Mike was in discussions to have an exception made for our group that morning.

The downside is there is no dining room or bar service on Mondays. The upside is the course is in very good condition and will not be busy. My expected presence is an upside or downside depending on ones point of view, I suppose. It is a nice (Ellis Maples, 1960) course and like Camden and Palmetto is quite walker-friendly for those who care about such.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - FINAL CALL!!!
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
DIXIE CUP 2009 - FINAL CALL

As of October 13 we have two playing positions available at Palmetto Golf Club. There are plenty of spots available at Aiken GC and Camden CC.

If you would like to participate in this year's Dixie Cup please cllck on the following registration link:

Following is a recap of the upcoming Dixie Cup:

EVENT DETAILS:

Thursday, November 5

• 8:00PM "Gathering" of the Dixie Cup participants at the Polo Tavern at Hotel Aiken
  • Food, fun, and frivolity
  • Teams and Friday pairings will be announced

Friday, November 6

• Golf at Palmetto Golf Club www.palmettogolfclub.net
  • PLEASE plan to be at the course by 7:30AM so we can be ready to go when called
  • Play will begin prior to 8:30AM depending on weather and member play.  Cost:  $65 walk    $80 ride
  • You will pay the club directly for your green fee... Credit Cards Only! No Cash! No AmEx!

• Group Dinner at the private Green Boundary Club. Cost:  $40-$50 as we will cover the cost for our hosts
  • Cash Bar opens at 7:00PM    Dinner at 7:45PM
  • Feature Presentation by Dr. Joe Spencer, past president of Palmetto Golf Club, on the history of the club and course

Saturday, November 7

• Golf at Aiken Golf Club www.aikengolfclub.com
  • Play will begin at 10:00AM Cost:  $20 walk    $30 ride
  • TRAVEL TO CAMDEN FOLLOWING GOLF
  • 7:30PM Casual get-together in Camden at Indigo Jones, a downtown restaurant

Sunday, November 8

• Golf at Camden Country Club (will include a Dixie Cup vs Camden CC members competition)  www.camdencountryclub.com
  • Play will begin at 10:00AM Cost:  $50 walk    $65 ride
  • NOTE:  We will be combining the final day of Dixie Cup play with a fourball competition between Dixie Cuppers and Camden members.
  • Award Ceremony immediately following golf!

OPTIONAL PRE/POST DIXIE CUP GOLF:

Thursday, November 5

• Golf at The Patriot at Grand Harbor in Ninety Six, SC designed by GCA.com's Paul Cowley for DL3  www.grandharbor.net/thepatriot.php?loc=gallery
  • Tee times available all day, but we have reserved three beginning at 12:30pm:  $30 walk or ride

Monday, November 9

• Golf at Columbia Country Club
  • Tee times available from 12:00 Noon     Cost:  $47 Walk    $65 Ride

OFFICIAL HOTEL HEADQUARTERS:
We have made arrangements for a group rate at the following hotels. If you desire upscale accommodations there are numerous options available in Aiken and Camden... especially unique Bed & Breakfast Inns. Just do a Google search.

AIKEN

Holiday Inn Express
Located across the street from the course
Hotel Front Desk: 803-648-0999
Room Rate = $83.00 per night (might be available at a lower rate via the web)
Group Code = Dixie Cup

CAMDEN
We're giving info on three hotels, the first is the one we recommend most strongly.  It's a non-chain, locally owned motel that's not fancy but is reasonable, very convenient, clean, comfortable, and the cafe has the best breakfast in town.

Colony Inn
Telephone:  (803) 432-5508
Rate:  $65
Group Code:  Dixie Cup

Comfort Inn and Suites
Telephone:  (803) 425-1010
Rate:  $85
Group Code:  Dixie Cup

Holiday Inn Express
Telephone:  (803) 424-5000
These folks wouldn't give us a group rate, but the place is fairly nice and reasonably convenient.

If you have any questions please give me a call:  864-907-1949 or, send me an email:  md,whitaker@charter.net

Cheers!

Michael Whitaker

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joe Hancock

Re: Social Joe Hancock
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
...... his take on a variety of subjects ranging from Jon Huntsman to El Boqueron to Fetchez La Vache.

See you in a few weeks!

Moo.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - FINAL CALL!
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
Mike Whitaker and I spent some time on the phone today, looking at the list of players who have registered, doing a little shuffling, and thinking about pairings for four ball matches at Palmetto on Friday.

Lou Duran (who went to Ohio State) and I (who grew up in Northern California) have volunteered to play on the North team in order to even things out numerically.  We now have teams of 16 North and 16 South for Palmetto.

Mike is the South captain, with assistance from John Mayhugh, and I am the North captain in need of a co-captain.  I nominate Joe Hancock!

Before we get into the pairings, please post any requests for anyone whom you would like to play WITH or AGAINST.  All requests will be considered, especially those wrapped in a $50 bill.

Once we get all that trash talk done with, we will come up with some good pairings for Friday.

FYI Mike has spent some quality time converting indices to actual course handicaps for Palmetto.  These have been added to the registration list which Mike has posted above.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone and spending a great weekend together in South Carolina.  Viva the Dixie Cup!

Steve Lang

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »
 8) it doesn't look like you need two more..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Carl Nichols

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
8) it doesn't look like you need two more..

Are the Palmetto spots indeed full? 

JC Jones

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »
I'd like to play against Mayhugh just because he's so damned nice.  Deep down inside there HAS to be an evil streak and I want to try and get it out of him!! ;D

Not to mention I intend on feeding him 10 tequila shots thursday night.... just sayin...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
All 32 spots at Palmetto have been filled. If someone would like to register as an alternate that would be fine as "things happen" and plans change... but, everyone looks very solid at this point. I've got a couple of locals who will fill in at the last moment, if need be.

We have 4-6 spots open at both Aiken Golf Club and Camden CC if anyone wants to register for those courses... with a guarantee that you will get to play.

Shaping up as a great event!!!

"Far and Sure"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:55:39 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2009, 12:29:27 AM »
Better late than never....

I have spent more time in OH (and several other states) in the last month than I have SC, and I just have been so swamped with work that I havent been on here in quite some time.  But I actualy am home for once tonight and thought I would jump in here.

I assume by now many people probably have their travel plans set, but I just wondered how many people would be interested in getting out to see my home club Musgrove Mill GC in Clinton, SC (about 45min - 1hr NW of Columbia).  It would probably make the most sense to play it on Tue morning following the Monday at Columbia CC. 

For anyone who doesnt know much about Musgrove Mill it is also home (away from home) to our very own Tom Williamsen.  It is a late 80's design credited to Arnold Palmer although local Ken Tomlinson had his hand in it as well.  It is a pseudo Pine Valley feel, golf only club, pretty stout test of golf and the greens are known to be some of the best in this part of the country.  The guest fee is nornally near $80 but I may talk to the pro to see if he would give us a break if I bring a few guys out on what would probably be a slow day there normally.

Email me or post here and let me know who might be interested in that.  I need to block some time off around this event anyway to make sure work doesnt encroach on me that week.

Mike, let me know if you do need anyone for Palmetto on Friday at the last minute.

Also I am leaning towards at least Columbia CC on Monday as well.

I look forward to seeing some of you all when you are down here.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Mayhugh

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »
I'd like to play against Mayhugh just because he's so damned nice.  Deep down inside there HAS to be an evil streak and I want to try and get it out of him!! ;D

Not to mention I intend on feeding him 10 tequila shots thursday night.... just sayin...

Bourbon will do it, but I refuse to drink that stuff anymore. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
Better late than never....

I have spent more time in OH (and several other states) in the last month than I have SC, and I just have been so swamped with work that I havent been on here in quite some time.  But I actualy am home for once tonight and thought I would jump in here.

I assume by now many people probably have their travel plans set, but I just wondered how many people would be interested in getting out to see my home club Musgrove Mill GC in Clinton, SC (about 45min - 1hr NW of Columbia).  It would probably make the most sense to play it on Tue morning following the Monday at Columbia CC. 

For anyone who doesnt know much about Musgrove Mill it is also home (away from home) to our very own Tom Williamsen.  It is a late 80's design credited to Arnold Palmer although local Ken Tomlinson had his hand in it as well.  It is a pseudo Pine Valley feel, golf only club, pretty stout test of golf and the greens are known to be some of the best in this part of the country.  The guest fee is nornally near $80 but I may talk to the pro to see if he would give us a break if I bring a few guys out on what would probably be a slow day there normally.

Email me or post here and let me know who might be interested in that.  I need to block some time off around this event anyway to make sure work doesnt encroach on me that week.

Mike, let me know if you do need anyone for Palmetto on Friday at the last minute.

Also I am leaning towards at least Columbia CC on Monday as well.

I look forward to seeing some of you all when you are down here.

Very kind of you to offer this Turboe, wish I could make it.  I used to work for Greenwood Dev. and would often hear the folks from Greenwood talk about their time spent up at the great Musgrove Mill.

Speaking of great...just 2 weeks from 2 nite, tequila shots at the Polo Bar in the Hotel Aiken on Jason Jones' tab...Salud!

JC Jones

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2009, 08:17:45 AM »
That's the official North team strategy, get you southern yahoos drunk so much that you cant even see your ball the next morning.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
JC,

We need to get on the same page here.

If we pay to get those hillbillys drunk so we can win....we lose. I say we let them win so they feel obligated to buy us drinks. After all, where is the prestige in a Dixie Cup?

Who's our team Captain? Let's get some strategy in place so we don't accidentally win this thing.....

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back