News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Only One Spot Remaining at Palmetto GC. Register Now!
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Rich, Tim & everyone registered for 2009 Dixie Cup:

Sunset is at 4:47 on November 6 and it will be pitch black dark by 5.

Our tee times will probably begin around 7:30AM at Palmetto as we MUST have all of our players out before the club's Friday Dogfight hits the course at 8:30 (assuming no frost delay). The pro will make the final decision, but we may send half of our players off the back or do a shotgun.

Assuming we finish around noon and take a break for lunch, we are hoping to play an additional nine holes at Palmetto in the afternoon... possibly in foresomes (alternate shot).

I don't really see how you can play Palmetto in the morning, drive to another course, get a second round in before dark, then get back to shower and change before our dinner.

If you can pull it off then what have you gained? You've seen another course, but you've missed all the fun and fellowship with the rest of our group. Trust me, you'll have more fun sticking with us than racing off to another course.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:59:32 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Now Accepting Alternates
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »
We have now filled all 32 positions for the round at Palmetto, therefore, we are accepting alternates for the Friday round. A few positions still remain at Camden on Sunday.

>>> CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

>>> CLICK HERE TO VIEW REGISTRATIONS

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

rjsimper

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:26 PM »
Any update on the Camden lodging situation?

Tim Taylor

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Only One Spot Remaining at Palmetto GC. Register Now!
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
Rich, Tim & everyone registered for 2009 Dixie Cup:

Sunset is at 4:47 on November 6 and it will be pitch black dark by 5.

Our tee times will probably begin around 7:30AM at Palmetto as we MUST have all of our players on the course before the club's Friday Dogfight hits the course at 8:30 (assuming no frost delay). The pro will make the final decision, but we may send half of our players off the back or do a shotgun.

Assuming we finish around noon and take a break for lunch, we are hoping to play an additional nine holes at Palmetto in the afternoon... possibly in foresomes (alternate shot).

I don't really see how you can play Palmetto in the morning, drive to another course, get a second round in before dark, then get back to shower and change before our dinner.

If you can pull it off then what have you gained? You've seen another course, but you've missed all the fun and fellowship with the rest of our group. Trust me, you'll have more fun sticking with us then racing off to another course.

Thanks for that clarification Michael. I was confusing the dates for my Williamsburg trip (Oct 9-12) with Dixie Cup.

An afternoon nine of alternate shot sounds like fun - for everyone except the poor SOB that has to play my wayward drives.

Tim

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
Any update on the Camden lodging situation?

Jamey Bryan is working Camden accommodation recommendations... hopefully he will post something soon.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Hmm...I see 5:30 as a sunset time for Aiken on 11/6 according to www.sunrisesunset.com;)

Not that it changes the argument much.

I just like options, as I have a limited time to be away from home to play golf.  More golf (if doable) is always better than less golf! 

Of course, more golf at Palmetto would be great if that works!  I pity the fool that has to hit an alternate shot or two from Simperville.

Thanks again to our hosts and organizer(s), and looking forward to seeing/meeting all of you soon.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
Hmm...I see 5:30 as a sunset time for Aiken on 11/6 according to www.sunrisesunset.com;)

Not that it changes the argument much.

I just like options, as I have a limited time to be away from home to play golf.  More golf (if doable) is always better than less golf! 

Of course, more golf at Palmetto would be great if that works!  I pity the fool that has to hit an alternate shot or two from Simperville.

Thanks again to our hosts and organizer(s), and looking forward to seeing/meeting all of you soon.

I also used sunrisesunset.com but just pulled the info from the New York timezone... interesting that there is 45 minutes difference from NYC to Aiken. I would not have thought that.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2009, 03:32:28 PM »
The 2009 Dixie Cup

NOTE: As of August 31 there are only 32 playing positions available for the outing at Palmetto Golf Club. All 32 spots have been reserved by hosts and guests (pending payment of deposits).

Deposits should be paid by September 27. Those registrations not secured by a deposit will be cancelled on September 28 and the positions offered to any Alternates in waiting.

If you would like to participate in the 2009 Dixie Cup please click on the link below and complete a registration form.

IMPORTANT: We are strictly limited in the number of guests we can take to Palmetto Golf Club. PLEASE do not register for this event until you KNOW that you will be able to attend. In order to discourage provisional registrations we will be requiring a $50 non-refundable deposit.

EVENT DETAILS:

Friday, November 6
  • Golf at Palmetto Golf Club www.palmettogolfclub.net
  • Play will begin prior to 8:30AM Cost:  $65 walk    $80 ride
  • Group Dinner (location to be determined) Cost:  probably $40-$50 as we will cover the cost for our hosts.
  • Feature Presentation by Joe Spencer, past president of Palmetto Golf Club, on the history of the club and course.

Saturday, November 7
  • Golf at Aiken Golf Club www.aikengolfclub.com
  • Play will begin at 10:00AM Cost:  $20 walk    $30 ride
  • TRAVEL TO CAMDEN FOLLOWING GOLF
  • Casual get-together in Camden (location to be determined)

Sunday, November 8
  • Golf at Camden Country Club www.camdencountryclub.com
  • Play will begin at 10:00AM Cost:  $50 walk    $65 ride
  • Award Ceremony immediately following golf!

PRE/POST DIXIE CUP GOLF:
If you would like to play golf on Thursday or Monday at an area course let us know on your registration form. We will be organizing games for those who are interested at area courses of note that are sure to please.

OFFICIAL HOTEL HEADQUARTERS:
We have made arrangements for a group rate at the following budget hotels. If you desire upscale accommodations there are numerous options available in Aiken and Camden... especially unique Bed & Breakfast Inns. Just do a Google search.

Aiken - Holiday Inn Express - WEBSITE
  • Located across the street from the course
  • Hotel Front Desk: 803-648-0999
  • Room Rate = $83.00 per night (might be available at a lower rate via the web)
  • Group Code = Dixie Cup

Camden - We are still working on a group rate at a hotel in Camden. We will update this post as soon as we have something pulled together.

>>> CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

>>> CLICK HERE TO VIEW REGISTRATIONS

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »
Michael,
Forgive me for the slight hijack, but Mike Young reported that PGA Professional Ed Hoard (Longshadow, Athens CC) passed away last night of an apparent heart attack while walking his dog in his Athens neighborhood. Many Dixie Cup participants met him a couple of years ago when in that neck of the woods.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »
I will gladly play more Friday at Palmetto, but it is always nice "nice" to sneak in another round (especially during Ohio winter) to pad my courses played number (sitting at 255 right now). I am on a mission to be at 300 by 12/10.

I'll do as the group does.

Tim,  if you get my drives, you'll be in a world of hurt as well. They are either on, or OFF.

Rich
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2009, 12:44:18 AM »
Play well Uncle Billy and Michael
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

rjsimper

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
I do not know anything about the Hotel Aiken and have never been there.

That said, I went to book a room and their cheapest rate is in their "Courtyard" building, which is described as a "motel-like facility with outdoor hall access"

To me that does not sound all that enticing or promising, and probably justifies the low price.  Just giving fair warning to all!

Jason Topp

« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »

That said, I went to book a room and their cheapest rate is in their "Courtyard" building, which is described as a "motel-like facility with outdoor hall access"

To me that does not sound all that enticing or promising, and probably justifies the low price.  Just giving fair warning to all!

Looks like location and the bar are the enticing aspects of the place.  I presume Friday dinner is likely to be nearby?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
Play well Uncle Billy and Michael

Why are you not joining us, Wardo?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
Dixie Cup 2009 Map

Here is a link to a Google map showing the location of the Dixie Cup 2009 venues:

Dixie Cup Map

NOTE: The location for the Friday night dinner has NOT been 100% confirmed and is subject to change. Currently we are hoping to have our dinner at the private Green Boundary Club.

jeffwarne

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2009, 01:46:09 PM »

Ryan,
I stay in the Hotel Aiken often
at $57 per night in the best location and center of a very nice town with multiple nice dining and bar options (and literally 30 yards from the best bar in Aiken), would you expect 5 stars?-the Courtyard rooms are just as they described, motel-like-probably like your basic Super -eight. The rooms in the hotel part can nicer but are certainly not 5 star either.
My guess is the Holiday Inn rooms are a bit newer, but I'm not buying the place ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »
Bump

ward peyronnin

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2009, 12:05:02 AM »
Bill

I have sworn to not miss another Walker Cup; will be in Philly but will miss you guys. Last year was a blast

WardO
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
Any word on the Camden accommodations???

I am very much looking forward to playing these courses and November cannot arrive fast enough!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
For Camden Dixie Cup Participants.....

Sorry it's taken me this long to post Camden lodging information, but it happens that the local historical society is hosting a Revolutionary War reenactment the weekend of the Dixie Cup and the tourism people convinced the local innkeepers to restrict other room commitments until recently.  Anyway, we do have a great day or two planned here and the club is looking forward to hosting ya'll.

I'm giving info on three hotels, the first is the one I'd recommend most strongly.  It's a non-chain, locally owned motel that's not fancy but is reasonable, very convenient, clean, comfortable, and the cafe has the best breakfast in town.

Camden Hotels:

Colony Inn

Telephone:  (803) 432-5508
Rate:  $65
Group Code:  Dixie Cup

Comfort Inn and Suites

Telephone:  (803) 425-1010
Rate:  $85
Group Code:  Dixie Cup

Holiday Inn Express

Telephone:  (803) 424-5000
These folks wouldn't give me a group rate, but the place is fairly nice and reasonably convenient.

I've arranged for a private room Saturday night at Indigo Jones, a downtown restaurant; I think some Camden members will join us.  There's also been a lot of interest in combining the final day of Dixie Cup play with a little fourball competition between Dixie Cuppers and Camden members.....  I'm working on setting that up.

If anyone needs any help, please get in touch.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Jamey

John Mayhugh

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
Jamey,
Thanks for the Camden info.  The best breakfast in town sold me on the Colony.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
Jamey,

I booked the Colony yesterday with no problem.  The fellow did ask me what the "Dixie Cup" is and I tried to explain.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
Bill,

My answer to the guy would have been "Son you live in Camden South Carolina. Surely I don't need to tell you what a Dixie Cup is".

John Mayhugh

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »
Jamey,

I booked the Colony yesterday with no problem.  The fellow did ask me what the "Dixie Cup" is and I tried to explain.

Hopefully your explanation didn't include anything about spending a weekend with a bunch of guys you met on the internet. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »
Jamey,

Hopefully your explanation didn't include anything about spending a weekend with a bunch of guys you met on the internet. 

I always try to stay away from that!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back