News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Baer

Re: A great idea for raters......
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »
Gib,

I was being serious..... you are  a sensitive guy.... do you think your contribution is more along the lines of Dwarf Golf....man I love those videos; sometimes my Mama lets me stay up late and watch them.

Sincerely,

Ken Baer

ps- My contribution to the game is that one time me and my buddies were riding our big wheel around my local course and my bud ran into a tree and it fell down.  It made the above mentioned hole play better; you know with one less tree.

Pat Burke

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
Any Rater who wishes to play a course not worth rating, feel free to donate to our junior foundation!
WE will think you are pretty cool at least ;D  And you may get a charitable donation!

Seems we are off the rails again.  I read that a rater declined a comp, paid, and said to give it to junior golf if nec.
All in all a positive little pro shop counter story.  WTG whoever the rater is

Mark Smolens

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
After spending the past 8 minutes reading this thread I have but one question:  who really designed Merion? :D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
Wow.  Is this where angst, sarcasm, ridicule, etc., has led us to on this site?

Let's recap the facts of this thread.

1) Thread starts by architect noting a cool way for a rater to duck the "comped" bullet and give back to the local community.

2) Other architect states on thread that said good deed is not a good deed at all, and is just a cop out by a rater.

3) Resident anti 21st century guru posts that the rater should simply not rate, or not tell the course that he's a rater, or something like that.

4) Man of reason explains why it is a good idea to give back to local community. 

5) Georgia fan Kenny brings moment of levity to the otherwise needlessly violent thread and...

6) Gets relative accused of thieving by someone obviously not paying attention to the humor in the previous post.

I can hardly stand it anymore.  Is this what we've come to on GCA.com?  Are we so hateful to each other that jokes cannot be tolerated, and a good deed by someone never goes unpunished by the cynical?  Can't we just all agree that what this particular rater did was a good and noble thing?  Sheesh!!!

Ben,

I am greatly looking foward to hitting the links with you.

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »

Ben

3) Resident anti 21st century guru posts that the rater should simply not rate, or not tell the course that he's a rater, or something like that. ??? ??? ???

So again an anti-person, thanks, me thinks that perhaps I may be sorry I
e-mailed you last week the 8 pages report on Young Tom’s Great Match in 1875. >:( :'(

As for a rater why not just pay & play with no fuss, causing no embarrassment or discomfort to all parties or is that just to simple for some to understand?  :-[ :P 8)

Melvyn

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »
"As for a rater why not just pay & play with no fuss, causing no embarrassment or discomfort to all parties or is that just to simple for some to understand?"

Lots of times that's exactly what most do.  Other times (mostly at private clubs in the USA notion of that term) they won't take your money no matter what.  In those times, well... the guy here came up with something creative, in any case.

So Melvyn, it is not as simple as it might seem.

TH

Ben Sims

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:06 PM »
Melvyn,

Sorry I upset you. But my post that you draw the quote from was just a play by play of vitriol, that's all.  I think what blew me away the most about this thread was how simple it was.  A spade is a spade. I believe in the good nature of men.  To bring negative connotation, or to find a way to "correct" a behavior in this instance was rude, and it missed the point of Mike's original post. 

As a side, I never recieved an email from you last week in regards to the match of 1875.  I would've thanked you if I had.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
Kelly,

I'm disgusted to report that my attempt to contribute to junior golf was unsuccessful yesterday. As it turns out, the First Tee program had moved to a city 10 miles away. The local high school - just 1/2 mile down the street from a half-empty 36 holes on a Sunday morning - no longer had a golf team because of budget cuts.

Not a single parent had stood up and saved the high school program; one of the kids was a golf prodigy from a struggling family and ended up having to transfer to another high school because his only hope of paying for college was getting a golf scholarship.

This saddens me because I've seen the result of what happens when a kid is given some encouragement.

I coached a boy named Ryan years ago who wandered onto our golf team as a sophomore. He had no confidence in golf or life and literally whiffed on the first tee the first time he played for us in a JV match. His Japanese mother had moved him to Burlingame when she left his Mexican father to take a programming job in Silicon Valley. The kid had never had a male in his life and was afraid of his own shadow.

Except he was such a decent, honest kid without a micron of larceny in his heart that I essentially adopted him in many ways. The head golf coach doubled as the football coach (he did the organizing, I did the coaching) and rolled his eyes every time I insisted that Ryan get match experience. We had 23 kids on the team, but I did not spend a lot of time on the ones who got by on athletic talent but never studied the fine points of the game. These types rarely move to the next level and don't listen very well to begin with.

We all know that golf both teaches and reveals character, and the truth is we chased off all the kids who were only on the team to avoid P.E. class.

Instead the mantra was to preach character character character. At the end of five years, our once last place team ran the tables twice in a row and not only were we stealing potential gunners from the private schools, but Ryan ended up getting a full ride to U of S.F. and winning his last two college tournaments. I hope my daughter grows up and marries a kid like him. I could not be prouder of what he accomplished.

It all began because the tertiary effect of using golf to teach some life lessons led to stellar GPA's and success in life. Ryan - who had little interest in academics - became a teaching pro and is getting an advanced degree in international economics. I swear that these kids pushed each other to be better people and students because the team ethos was to give your best effort in all things.

But it started with taking up a collection to fund the local golf squad - mostly because several of us could not stand the fact our alma mater was no longer the top dog in golf.

Around the same time, a Freshman from a different high school (who read my columns) came and told me he had decided to study golf architecture. I lent him a few books and he read every single one of them twice. His parents did not know much about golf, so I encouraged him to apply himself and try to get accepted to Cornell. I was shocked speechless years later when he sent me a note to let me know he had won the 2004 Fredrick Dreer Award . . . . yeah, the same one that Tom Doak won.

This is not to make a speech or try and pawn myself of as having done 1/1000th of what some of golf's real heros have accomplished, yet it all begins with a donation of time or money - not for the good of the game of golf - but for as a contribution towards the upward march of the human race through the examples we set in raising kids.  

Kelly, you need to move out of the city before you become that which you despise.        

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:01:06 PM by Gib Papazian »

Pat Burke

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
Kelly,

I'm disgusted to report that my attempt to contribute to junior golf was unsuccessful yesterday. As it turns out, the First Tee program had moved to a city 10 miles away. The local high school - just 1/2 mile down the street from a half-empty 36 holes on a Sunday morning - no longer had a golf team because of budget cuts.

Not a single parent had stood up and saved the high school program; one of the kids was a golf prodigy from a struggling family and ended up having to transfer to another high school because his only hope of paying for college was getting a golf scholarship.

This saddens me because I've seen the result of what happens when a kid is given some encouragement.

I coached a boy named Ryan years ago who wandered onto our golf team as a sophomore. He had no confidence in golf or life and literally whiffed on the first tee the first time he played for us in a JV match. His Japanese mother had moved him to Burlingame when she left his Mexican father to take a programming job in Silicon Valley. The kid had never had a male in his life and was afraid of his own shadow.

Except he was such a decent, honest kid without a micron of larceny in his heart that I essentially adopted him in many ways. The head golf coach doubled as the football coach (he did the organizing, I did the coaching) and rolled his eyes every time I insisted that Ryan get match experience. We had 23 kids on the team, but I did not spend a lot of time on the ones who got by on athletic talent but never studied the fine points of the game. These types rarely move to the next level and don't listen very well to begin with.

We all know that golf both teaches and reveals character, and the truth is we chased off all the kids who were only on the team to avoid P.E. class.

Instead the mantra was to preach character character character. At the end of five years, our once last place team ran the tables twice in a row and not only were we stealing potential gunners from the private schools, but Ryan ended up getting a full ride to U of S.F. and winning his last two college tournaments. I hope my daughter grows up and marries a kid like him. I could not be prouder of what he accomplished.

It all began because the tertiary effect of using golf to teach some life lessons led to stellar GPA's and success in life. Ryan - who had little interest in academics - became a teaching pro and is getting an advanced degree in international economics. I swear that these kids pushed each other to be better people and students because the team ethos was to give your best effort in all things.

But it started with taking up a collection to fund the local golf squad - mostly because several of us could not stand the fact our alma mater was no longer the top dog in golf.

Around the same time, a Freshman from a different high school (who read my columns) came and told me he had decided to study golf architecture. I lent him a few books and he read every single one of them twice. His parents did not know much about golf, so I encouraged him to apply himself and try to get accepted to Cornell. I was shocked speechless years later when he sent me a note to let me know he had won the 2004 Fredrick Dreer Award . . . . yeah, the same one that Tom Doak won.

This is not to make a speech or try and pawn myself of as having done 1/1000th of what some of golf's real heros have accomplished, yet it all begins with a donation of time or money - not for the good of the game of golf - but for as a contribution towards the upward march of the human race through the examples we set in raising kids.  

Kelly, you need to move out of the city before you become that which you despise.        

Gib, great story, may Ryan see the success he seems driven to.
Having been part of,  the saved, or creation of, high school teams near our program, all I can say, is way to go.
Golf CAN be a tool for teaching values, and you often see pretty solid GPA's with solidly run programs.
Funny the programs that get cut in these times.  Not only am I helping run our golf foundation, but our HS music program found
out about what we do, and now I'm part of a booster program that is trying to save music programs locally :D
Amazing how music seems to draw students who not only have great GPA's, but because they tend to be more comfortable in their own skin, are JUST GOOD KIDS.
Keep up the good work Gib, if I can help raise a couple bucks somehow for the HS team let me know

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back