News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Enjoyable OOB
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »
Are there any holes on which you enjoy the challenge of out-of-bounds used architecturally? The 1st at Royal Liverpool and the 18th at TOC come to mind.

Tom Birkert

Re: Enjoyable OOB
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »
I think the 14th at Sandwich could qualify here.

It's very intimidating and so close to the tee, and is in your thoughts for all 3 shots on the hole.

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
Mark,

Short par 4 4th at St Enodoc spring to mind. You can have a go at the green but if you push one out to the right you will find yourself OOB while a lay up is to a wider area where the OOB is less imposing.

I also quite enjoyed the challenge of the OOB up the right of the 18th at North Berwick, but then I'd parked my car around the corner just incase  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
I don't mind the challenge of oob, but I despise the penalty. IMO, the penalty should be the same as a hazard. The punishment just doesn't fit the crime. That said, #17 at TOC has to be the most visually intimidating oob anywhere.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
There is no OOB.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JESII

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »
Merion has several fabulous uses of a boundary...#'s 2 and 7 scare the hell out of me while #'s 14 and 15 realy entice you. 14 might be better if the fairway ran closer to it.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »
#2 at Talking Stick North.

The entire hole strategy is based upon the straight-line OOB down the left side. 

Many a golfer has watched helplessly as his/her ball has rolled like a putt under the wire fence into the desert, as there is nothing but flat grass to stop it until the fence...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »
Hyperion Field Club has tight ob right on the first 4 holes.  I hit it right to left with a constant fear of missing wide right.  Those first four holes create quite a gauntlet at the start of the round.  

It feels a bit like going to the dentist but I think about it for weeks before playing there and feel pretty good about playing the holes well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back