News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Dormie Club alive?
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
according to C&C's blog, they are going to be finishing the last 7 holes...anyone have more info?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel_Stewart

Re: Dormie Club alive?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »
I'm told it will now be public and there will be carts and cart paths.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
Though probably not good for the initial investors, as a golfer and C&C fan, this is good news.  Much better than letting it grow over.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »

I'm not surprised. From what I understand, the land was zoned for no smaller than 5 acre plots of land to be used for residential homes, which limits buyers to only the richest. It was also to be a national club, but with Forest Creek, CCNC and even Pinehurst Country Club right there, how much of a market is there for that?

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »
So now the public gets to play a first class design rather than just a relative few.  Other than it being a bit less pristine and the cart paths, is that a bad thing?

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:50:22 PM »
So now the public gets to play a first class design rather than just a relative few.  Other than it being a bit less pristine and the cart paths, is that a bad thing?
If they charge a somewhat premium green fee and put the cart paths way back in the trees, you will never notice. Like how many notice the cart paths on Pinehurst #2? Granted they are generally sand paths, but they are so far back, no one notices them. I think it can be just as good as an upscale public course as a private course, cart paths or not.

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »
Any idea when it is scheduled to open? I get to Pinehurst 4 or 5 times  a year. I will definitely be playing it on my first trip there that it is open.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »
Do any of the online map services have an aerial of what currently exists there? I have looked on yahoo and google, but neither of those have it, just the empty land. Anyone seen an aerial?

ChipRoyce

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:16:33 PM »

Oh my!

I just got back from a day of 36 at Tobacco Road. Now there's a chance that C&C's Dormie could be publicly accessible?

Wow - won't be turning in my membership at Prestonwood, BUT... incredible to have such quality an hour down the road and spice things up from time to time.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Is there any way a course like Dormie could work as a public with walking only and caddies?

Just wondering, given the area, competition, etc. if it would be impossible to make happen.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »
Well, this is great news. Having been fortunate to see the existing holes, it would be a shame for this not to open. Even if it has to do so as a public with cart paths.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Steve Kline

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »
It's probably a crazy idea but I think something like the courses at Bandon could compete favorably with Pinehurst. I've been going to a lot Pinehurst for almost 20 years. I think the resort itself and most of the area courses are overrated. The courses at Bandon are far superior to virtually anything in Pinehurst. Something like Dormie would be so different it would be a huge draw imo.

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 10:04:12 PM »
Well, first, I'd like to know where we got this information about Dormie being public?

Rob Rigg-It might be able to work walking only (with a few exceptions to meet ADA requirements) since it would be one of only 2 clubs in the area that are like that (the other being #2). The only problem is, it would have such a short season in spring and fall, but yeah, I think it could work; at the very least give it a shot for a year. You could always put in cart paths during the summer while the course is basically dead.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:54:24 PM »
i wonder if the cart paths WON"T need to be paved over, due to the sandy soil
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »
John...glad do you mention that if it was walking only ADA requirements should be met.  I sometimes think the walking only creed goes a bit too far.  If you prefer walking great but don't judge others.

John Moore II

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 08:07:08 AM »
John...glad do you mention that if it was walking only ADA requirements should be met.  I sometimes think the walking only creed goes a bit too far.  If you prefer walking great but don't judge others.

Well, I think as a public course, they would have to meet ADA requirements or risk being shut down. But I really think the walking only idea could work. The only thing is, it gets so hot in Pinehurst during the summer that it would be nearly impossible to get business during that time. But overall, I think the plan could work.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »
Ran posted some pix of partly done Dormie. Can someone post me a link, I cannot seem to find it.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
Ran posted some pix of partly done Dormie. Can someone post me a link, I cannot seem to find it.

Doug

Here's the thread, but the links to the photos are no longer working.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35691.0/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Doug Ralston

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

Doug

Here's the thread, but the links to the photos are no longer working.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35691.0/

Thanks Joe; and too bad. I told my friend and playing partner about this course possibly going public. I wanted him to see the pix in order to tempt him to another North Carolina trip. Please understand; I have had little opportunity to play courses so highly recommended here. This is one I would love to experience, and to show him. Besides, a good excuse for a return visit to Tobacco Road, seen only once but a favorite of both of us.

Ran, can you re-issue those photos?

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Stephen Britton

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
C&C's website has some good pics,

http://www.coorecrenshaw.com/portfolio.html
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Ed Oden

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »
Here is another thread which has some picks:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37185.0/

rjsimper

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »
Do we have any kind of source for the information on it being public? There was a brief mention of the resumption of construction in the Charlotte Observer, but no mention of public. In fact, it even says something like "a private course in Pinehurst"

Ed Oden

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
Do we have any kind of source for the information on it being public? There was a brief mention of the resumption of construction in the Charlotte Observer, but no mention of public. In fact, it even says something like "a private course in Pinehurst"

Ryan, here is the Observer article:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/845835.html?q=dormie

John Moore II

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »
Interesting little tidbit in the newspaper there. I really want to know where this information about it being public came from. Thats pretty big news if true.

rjsimper

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
Thanks Ed -
Here it is pasted for those of you who wish not to follow a link:

Charlotte Observer - 7/22/09

"The Dormie Club, a private course being built near Pinehurst, is back underway after some down time. Designed by Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore, Dormie will be a dramatic addition to the scene.

With the Crenshaw-Coore minimalist approach, Dormie will feature a rugged, ragged look outside the fairways not unlike Pine Valley near Philadelphia. If there are no further delays, Dormie is scheduled to open next summer.

Having seen the 11 holes completed, I can tell you it's going to be on a lot of must-play lists."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back