News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

G.O. West
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »
I have seen writings in magazines authored by "G.O. West", obviously a pseudonym.  Does anyone know who the author was?
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

JohnV

Re: G.O. West
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
H L Menken? ;)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
Which magazines and what dates?

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
If memory serves, it's Scotty Chisholm.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »
If memory serves, it's Scotty Chisholm.

You are the man!

Dale Jackson

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:32:37 PM »
David - And to confirm my ignorance of these things, who was Scotty Chisholm?

Philip - I do not have the exact dates at hand but I think in Golf Illustrated.  I wondered if it might be Tillinghast.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »
Hi Dale,

No, its not Tilly. Pseudonyms were very rarely used in Golf Illustrated and never by Tilly.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
David - And to confirm my ignorance of these things, who was Scotty Chisholm?

Dale, not at all. D. Scott "Scotty" Chisholm is really only known to those in the California scene. He was the golf editor of the Los Angeles Express as well as the co-founder of the LA Open. He is credited by George Thomas for procuring many of the photos shown in Thomas' book, Golf Architecture in America. He had a great love for architecture, particulary the courses in California and was a big promoter of them.  Most of the photos of Chisholm show him wearing a Tam o'shanter and kilt.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »
Dale and David,

Scotty & Tilly went back MANY years, at least as early as 1903. They were very good friends. Tilly wrote about Scotty and the events they shared together. Scotty would become the ditor of Pacific Coast Golfer magazine and also is responsible for two major evenmts in Tilly's later life. When Tilly completed his PGA Tour in August of 1937, he moved to California to live and wrote for the Pacific Coast golfer. In addition to hiring Tilly for this, Scotty got Tilly & Billy Bell together as partners which they worked together as "Tillinghast and Bell" until Tilly suffered the heart attack that debilitated him in 1940 and that would lead to his death two years later.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back