News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Northwest Ireland Trip Recap (photos)
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:19:15 PM »
I posted this in another thread a few days ago but I've since seen the button for a new topic (yes I'm an idiot). I'll be adding photos from the courses as soon as I get them on the net and figure out how to do it.

To start here is our trip itinerary.

Day 1 - Arrive in Shannon and drive to Ballina. Lodge at the Downhill House for three nights.
Day 2 - 36 holes at Carne
Day 3 - 36 holes at Enniscrone
Day 4 - 18 holes at County Sligo (Rosses Point) and drive to Rossnawlagh. Lodge at Sand House Hotel for three nights.
Day 5 - 36 holes at Donegal
Day 6 - 36 holes at Narin & Portnoo
Day 7 - 18 holes at Portsalon and drive to Ballyliffin. Lodge at the Ballyliffin Lodge for two nights.
Day 8 - 18 holes at Ballyliffin Glashedy and 18 holes at Ballyliffin Old.

Before any thoughts on the courses, let me give some general thoughts on the trip, keeping in mind we've done three trips to Scotland. We were prepared for bad driving conditions having been repeatedly warned about the roads in Ireland. I did all the driving and found it not much different than the road conditions in Scotland. The only difficult drive was from Shannon to Ballina and that was because we just got off the plane and I was driving on no sleep. Restaurants were few and far between compared to Scotland. There were lots of pubs to eat in but actual dining was confined to the hotel. Ireland didn't have as many local beers as did Scotland but this was made up for by "real" Guiness. While we found the Scots to be friendly, the Irish seemed to be more outgoing. We were approached by them in conversation much more than the Scots. This could have been a function of a bad economy. We only saw one other group of American golfers at Sligo.

On to the courses and some comments off the top of my head.

Carne - Very enjoybale course with some nice scenery on the back nine. The greens lacked any real character as they were generally flat. This was in contrast to the dunes that you were playing in and around which were quite large. #12, a short, sharp dogleg left, seemed to be a love it or hate it hole. Anything from a driver to a 6 iron could be played from the tee leaving a variety of shots to the green. The drive was downhill and the second shot was to a benched green some 30 feet above the bottom of the fairway. The love or hate it part came because none of us could ever figure out how to hit the green in regulation. #16 was a nice drop shot par 3 that was fun to play in a moderately strong cross wind. #17 was definitely the hardest hole. A resonably long par 4 that played uphill all the way. Left of the fairway put you in large valley with no hope of making par. Second shot had a large valley to the right of the green but a nice bank on the left to be used to bank the ball on to the green.

Enniscrone - Very dramatic links. Dunes seem to top out around 80-100 feet high with some spectacular views on the back nine. The 1st was a nice introduction to the course with a generous opening tee shot and a second shot that must be threaded between two large dunes on either side of the fairway and green (reminiscient of the 5th at Bandon Dunes). The next four holes or so were through the dunes but were quite playable. Then came the easy part of the course on some flatter land. Holes 12-16 were back in the dunes and were quite difficult. Any missed shot could easily result in an x on the hole. 12 and 13 were quite quirky. Both were fairly short par 4's one a dogleg left and uphill and the other a dogleg right and downhill.  17 was a good short par 3 with dropoffs all around. Any shot missing the green proved to be a tough up and down. With a few exceptions, every green seemed to be perched up quite high from the fairway. The greens had more interesting internal contours than Carne. However, I felt both Carne and Enniscrone really lacked in variety in the green complexes. Carne in the internal contours and Enniscrone in the green sites.

Sligo - A more traditional links like you find in Scotland. The rough was much more manageable except for the hole's out by the point. But it was the holes out by the point that provided the most excitement. The green surfaces were the fastest and smoothest of any course (roughly 40) I've played in the UK.  The 4th was a good short par 3 with a steep fall off in the front. This made hitting the green tough with the wind at our back. All the par 3s were enjoyable.

Donegal - A very good links course with a wide variety of holes. Loved the second par 3 and the 8th - a par 5 with an interesting second shot, which made the tee shot very important.

Narin and Portnoo - This was the favorite course on the trip for scenic beauty and it had some good golf too. I don't think Pebble has anything on this course regarding the beauty of ocean holes. The first 4 or 5 holes were pretty ordinary but holes 6-11 were spectacular. A real variety of holes with many interesting shots and choices. The only course I've ever played with back to back to back par 5s.

Port Salon - Probably the weakest of the courses on our trip especially in regards to conditioning. Liked the punchbowl green setting on the first. The second (by far my favorite hole on the course) had a truly unique drive a Nascar like bank on the right hand side of the fairway. This could be used to run the ball around the burn on the left if the golfer could hit a draw off the tee.

Ballyliffin - Overall these were some of the best conditioned courses I've played in the UK (I know we weren't in the UK). Very firm and fast - as usual - with firms greens and good turf on the fairways. The two courses really highlighted the old way versus the new way of making golf courses. The Old course had the most rumpled fairways of any course I've played. It was clear that the holes were just found and the grass mown down. The Glashedy had gentle rolls in the fairway depsite the holes being interwoven amongst the Old course. It was obvious bull dozers had been brought in to create the holes. This was such a shame to me because it was not needed. It left me feeling that I had played an American links or resort course. But we still enjoyed it. The rought at both courses was presented in the best fashion of any of the courses. It was long but wispy. We generally could walk right to our ball and find it. Some lies allowed you to play the ball to the green while others required a pitch out. Perfect maintenace in my opinion.

Here's how our group would rank the courses overall:

1. Ballyliffin Old
2. Narin & Portnoo
3. Donegal
4. Enniscrone
5. Carne
6. Ballyliffin Glashedy
7. Sligo
8. Portsalon

Brad Fleischer

Re: Northwest Ireland Trip Recap (photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:21:47 AM »
Steve,

Would you care to elaborate what you did not like about the green sites of enniscrone ?  Do you think carne would be able to handle
more dramatic green contours ? To that I mean it's a wild ride from tee to green , would crazy green complexes put it over the top as some feel it already is ? I thought Carne had a bunch of fun greens and a bunch that were a relief once I got on them if you know what I mean . Carne for me would be at the top of your list . I did not get to Narin or Portsalon and did not play Glashedy. Sounds like you had a great trip . How was the weather ? If you decide to go again check out the Ice House hotel in Ballina. Great hotel and great staff.

Brad

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:55:41 AM »
The falloffs on Enniscrone's greens were too dramatic and done too often for my taste (and I'm a big fan of Pinehurst #2). I think 15 (a longish par 4 along the water which could be 16) would be a virtually impossible green to hit in two based on the design. Thinking more about Carne I may have been a little harsh. I really liked the greens at 1, 2, 9, 14, and 17. Some of the flatter holes like 4 (the par 5), 10, 13 (I mentioned all par 5s there) could have had some more interest in the greens. It just made for boring putting to me.

The new nine they were building at Carne appears to have been abandoned. i saw a couple of spots in the dunes were at one point there looked to be fairways mown but now the native grass is growing back in.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:57:27 AM by Steve Kline »

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »

Steve Kline

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:01:26 AM »
I tried to post a picture in the post above but just a question mark is showing for me. To post it I clicked the image button and then pasted the url between the two "img"s. Is there something else I need to do. The pictures are on Shutterfly's website.

Emil Weber

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:28:50 AM »
Steve,
you need to this:

that didn't work...I'm sorry!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:03:52 AM by Emil Weber »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »
Try uploading your pics to photobucket....thats the easiest way to get them up...and its free!!

Steve Kline

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
Here is the link to the photos from Carne - http://carne2009.shutterfly.com/. If you click on one of the photos scrolling across the page you will be able to scroll through them on your own and see my captions.

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
Here's a link to the pictures from Enniscrone - http://ennisrcone2009.shutterfly.com/.

Steve Kline

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »
pictures from Sligo - http://sligo2009.shutterfly.com/

Emil Weber

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
Thanks, Steve, keep the coming. Enniscrone and Sligo look really good in your pictures, could you explain why you rated Sligo so low?

Steve Kline

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »
We only played 18 there so maybe it got lost in the shuffle. It did have some holes i really liked a lot - in fact a lot holes - 3, 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, and 17. There wasn't one course on the trip that i wouldn't go back to.

Steve Kline

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 01:29:48 AM »

Steve Kline

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »
 Steve,

Variety is high on my list of what I like about a course. Your photos remind me of the wonderful variety at N/P. Up and down and all around!!
AKA Mayday

Jack_Marr

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 02:13:27 AM »
Excellent photos, Steve. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

John
John Marr(inan)

Steve Kline

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
My son has football camp this week but I'll try to Portsalon and Ballyliffin up as soon as possible.

Norbert P

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
 Thanks, Steve for the efforts to share. The photo albums take me back.  I am a bit surprised that Narin & Portnoo was yerall's 2nd favorite. Not that I don't rate it highly but that most don't really recommend it, while most recommend Sligo. I played N&P pre-renovation and thought it a hoot. I don't suppose the galvanized corrugated metal sheeting is still flanking the green (#?) from the salt sprays.

I've favoritized this thread into my GCA Threads folder so I can reaccess it easier. Thanks again.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Steve Kline

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »
Perhaps we got carried away by the sceneary. The course admittedly starts slow. Although the first is somewhat reminiscient of the 1st at Prestwick in that it is quite short and is just a 6 iron-wedge for me. I really like the green complex at the first. The 2nd through the 4th are uninspiring. I thought the 5th through the 11th were great and fantastically fund to play. 12 and 13 were fun with some bunkers that looked out of place walking past the holes on the way out coming into play because of the wind when actually playing the holes. I assume that 14 and are new holes. They were okay but to narrow compared to the rest of the course. They felt crammed in. 16 and 17 we also enojyed. 18 was okay. We didn't see any metal sheeting anywhere.

I like Sligo more than the other two on the trip. I would have liked to play it a second time. For me playinga links course twice in one day gives me a much better feel for it.

Slag - could you tell me what was different prior to renovation?

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »

Slag - could you tell me what was different (about Narin & Portnoo) prior to renovation ?

I played it about 10 years ago - pre digital age for me - so my memories of it are diffused.  Perhaps I should dig out the old shoebox and relive some fine times.     I do remember one hole that I don't see in the pictures that could have been modified (removed) in which there were two large dunes in the 5 and 7 o'clock position with a little pot bunker between the two.  It was very unique in that the bunker eliminated the low run-up shot but you could bloop a run-down shot down the back of the dunes to the green - or fly it to the green.   

Anyway, I haven't played the new N&P, new Enniscrone or new Lahinch but would love to get back there.  Methinks Sir Richard Goodale may have seen N&P in both modes.   
  Of the courses I played, Carne was my favorite place to be.  I wasn't sophisticated at the time to critique it from a fine golfer's perspective, (nor am I now) but I really appreciated at a spiritual level the wildness and uniqueness of the environment. Perhaps I was also enthused by what the great writer Jimmy Finegan said about it. 

I cannot imagine a finer introduction to Irish golf than Lahinch. I wish I would have spent more time in the town but I had a fine time just north in Doolin - lively music and craic.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Steve Kline

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:16 PM »

Steve Kline

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:21 PM »
The last course we played - Ballyliffin - http://ballyliffin2009.shutterfly.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back