News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re: Most Underrated Courses
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »
Tim & Jay,

Couldn't agree more---Greenbrier Old White.  Watch your RADAR during this weeks Buick Open!!!  Very interesting things coming!

Also Cavalier Golf and Yacht Club

Country Club of Charleston

DuPont Country Club (DuPont Course)

Lester

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »

As for La Purisma I enjoy playing there as well, but more for the incredibly peaceful setting than the the quality of the architecture.  The course can be extremely difficult and is fun, and is always sort of a cultish favorite in California, and it my mind that is probably about how I feel about it.   

Agreed.  I make this "pilgrimage" of sorts a couple of times a year as a perfect mid point for hooking up with some San Diego friends.  The setting is special in my book.  It is what CA once was.  Wide open vistas.  Views to the Pacific.  Just tranquil and peaceful.  So definitely about the experience.

The course has a few holes that feel forced into the landscape, but I like the routing.  It goes up, down, around, switches, etc.  You'll get hit from all directions when that 1pm wind kicks in...

I'm baffled at this point...

Why hasn't there been a mention for Rustic?

Barona's another course that comes to mind.  You don't hear much about that course except on this forum.  Fast and firm, interesting bunkers, and overall good variety of holes.

And Lawsonia in all this?

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

astavrides

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »

Pine Barrens-best public course in NJ IMO

Just called them. Not accepting any public play unfortunately.  Been private for a few years I think.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »

Pine Barrens-best public course in NJ IMO

Just called them. Not accepting any public play unfortunately.  Been private for a few years I think.

Is it still underrated?

Kenny Baer

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2009, 02:00:28 PM »
Augusta Country Club; well routed strategic design, great club as well.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2009, 05:47:14 PM »
Skyridge - Sequim, WA.  Gets NO press because it's 10 holes.  Awesome links style experience.

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 03:44:14 AM »
I would certainly 2nd David's Old Town nomination. It knocks the socks off some of the top courses I have played.  I would also mention Addington, maybe the best course around London.  Of course there are the smaller places like Brora and Pennard which deserve much higher praise.  All that said, I don't think any of these courses are really top 100 in the world. 

I am going to get another look at Rye in a few months.  This is one that could possible shake things up for me - its been a long while since I last saw it - so long in fact that I consider that I have essentially not played it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 04:35:20 AM »
Silloth on Solway gets ignored because it is so out of the way.  Probably not world top 100 but probably UK top 30, certainly top 50.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 05:58:09 AM »
I've always thought Prestwick St Nicholas should get more love. I suspect however that it is one of those courses which is overshadowed but a more illustrious neighbour.

Niall

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2009, 06:07:16 AM »
Wentworth East, Stoneham, Aldeburgh, Southerness, Clitheroe, Seascale, Tenby, Ferndown, Broadstone, Brancepeth Castle, New Zealand might be considered for a UK list.

Phil McDade

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »
Boat of Garten. Under-rated because it's in the middle of the Highlands, far from most golf centers in Scotland, is cut through a forest of birch trees, and is short (@ 6,000 yds tops). In short, it's not what most people from over here visit Scotland to see. But it's a terrific Braid design, with some very small, exacting greens, tough approach shots, and some very good, even quirky, short par 4s. Also a great atmosphere -- you can see the Cairngorms from there off in the distance, and there are old steam-train tracks running alongside the course.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2009, 08:43:07 AM »
Some favorites of mine that don't seem to get much press outside of this site ....

Leatherstocking
Dooks
Gulph Mills
Yahnundasis

I'm also going to throw Swinley Forest. It's my favorite heathland course, but seems to be overshadowed by the Sunningdales, etc.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »
On Long Island Engineers is the best course in Nassau county but fails too recieve such respect.  In Suffolk county, Laurel Links is overshadowed by a slew of ultra-elite greats, but is better than a certain favorite on the south shore. 

Lester George

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »

Another few are

Elizabeth Manor CC

CCV Westhampton

Chardonnay

Lester

Bill_McBride

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 10:15:17 AM »
My vote's Palmetto Golf Club.

Looking forward to seeing Palmetto, plus Aiken and Camden, in the Dixie Cup in November.  Are you coming?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »

North Berwick always seems to come in a little low on the lists.

Anthony

Keith Williams

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
Holston Hills has to be in consideration.

JC Urbina

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
Robert

I have seen Laurel Links twice.  Played it once and walked around the second time and agree with you it is a fine layout with very interesting greens.

What is the course on the South Shore you are comparing it to?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »
I'd say a common "underrated" affliction goes to the sister courses at clubs that have two courses, one very famous and/or celebrated... ie, I find each of these to be quite underrated:

Olympic - Ocean (good call Dave, just played there last week and I was amazed at how really good that course is)
Monterey Peninsula CC - Dunes (most talk about the Shore, but I swear I find the Dunes to be the better course)
Winged Foot - East (Ok hard to call it underrated as it gets great ranking love, but few talk about it anyway as compared to the West).

As for CA public courses previously mentioned in this thread... I too have always enjoyed La Purisima.. but I'd say it's "rated" just about right - that is, my impression was it gets a lot of praise as is.  Rustic seems to me a little underrated.... should get more ranking love... but remember it did win GD Best New Public, so at least it's not ignored completely.  Barona's gotten a lot of high marks too, I think.

Trying to think of an under-rated CA course and I really can't think of any... most to me seem to be pretty darn celebrated.  OK, I guess Spring Valley in Milpitas ought to get more love - but to say it should be ranked in any top whatever would be silly.  I just think it's more of a hidden gem that gets overlooked rather than being underrated.  There are plenty like that.

OK, got one... at least for now CAL CLUB.  But methinks that will be fixed soon enough, once renovation rankings and other Best Of lists come out.  That is now one FANTASTIC golf course.

TH

Tim Leahy

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
Tom, have you played Lake Merced CC? I played on Monday for the second time since 1980's and had forgotten how that course is.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »
Tom, have you played Lake Merced CC? I played on Monday for the second time since 1980's and had forgotten how that course is.

Yes, I have played Lake Merced many times, most recently about a year ago.  It is a great course, for sure.  I think it too suffers from the "great course nearby" syndrome.. that is, it would be quite celebrated if it wasn't right next to the other greats so close.

That being said, I do think it's clearly #5 in that area.  I'd say it goes

1. SFGC
2. OClub Lake
3. Cal Club
4. OClub Ocean
5. Lake Merced
6. Harding

That's not a bad #5, for sure!  But still one can sorta understand how it somewhat flies under the radar.

TH

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »
I will take Laurel Links over Maidstone any day.  Those who have not played enough Scottish and Irish links may rave over Maidstone, but Laurel Links has so many awesome holes. The Eastern end of LI is blessed with so many great courses that this course has been an afterthought for many.  Respect should be oon architectural merit, not a couple great holes on the ocean followed by legendary southsides.

Gerry B

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »
here are a few that come to mind imho- some not ranked on the various lists and some ranked too low:

yale
longue vue in pittsburgh
kirtland in cleveland
scarboro in toronto
indian creek in south florida
cal club - that will not last long after the recent renovations
olympia fields south
indianwood(old)
st thomas in union ontario
BCC 5 farms east
Myopia
atlantic city cc
creek club
forsgate
merion west - short but some outstanding holes nonetheless

Rob Rigg

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
Chambers Bay is certainly underrated by the mags - 5th in WA?

I think Bandon Trails is underrated as well

Summit in Richmond Hill, Ontario is also underrated by Score (if anyone cares about courses in Canada) - it is one of the most fun courses to play in the Toronto area, although technology is definitely hurting the design as its yardage is becoming out of date

Sean_A

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »
Part of the problem with lists is that only so many courses can be on them.  Often times I am more than happy to replace better courses with preferred courses, such as the case with Kington.  In the instance of Beau Desert, it really is better than a load of top 100 GB&I courses.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back