News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Madison

Re: GD 50 Best Golf Retreats
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »
My Fazio top 3 are:

1. Victoria National
2. The Alotian
3. Wade Hampton

Jim,

I agree that Wade Hampton is a wonderful course, and up until I played Mountaintop I thought it was Fazio's best mountain course from what I've seen. I just played Mountaintop for the second time. Two years ago played it back to back with WH. I thought Mountaintop was better back then but was on the edge. Played it this time shortly after their member-guest, with very firm and fast greens. Now I'm pretty clear that it is the better of the two. It's certainly more challenging, has the scale to handle current ball-striking distances, has the same if not better scenic values, and I believe stays dry and firm pretty much all through the playing season. And they have wonderful guest lodging as well, with an incredibly comfortable clubhouse.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 09:36:38 PM »
I'm looking at the Victoria National profile and all I'm seeing is ... water  :o

Is that just the pictures?

And BTW ... all the KP credit goes to El Capitan.  I've done nothing more than act like Goose in the back seat being the number one cheerleader.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »
It strikes me how differently many courses are viewed when simply adding a bit of food and housing are included. Not a single Tillinghast course!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back