News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Travelling Further North... USA
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »

Hi all,
I just wanted to give all those that have provided advice, assistance, feedback and help over the past few months in helping me organise my trip to some fabulous US courses. Below I have listed the itinerary, if anyone happens to be in the area and would like to catch up, would be great to meet you and have a drink, chat or hit. If any of you have any further feedback – I am all ears and thanks very much for you help, GCA is a wonderful place/thing... what is the collective term: is it a “shag bag of golf nuts” or a ‘sleeve of golf nuts’ – no offence intended ;)

And before you post  ;D– yes I have a very lovely and understanding wife and 2 beautiful girls and I am very lucky and consider myself extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to continue my study of golf course architecture at such amazing places, with some great friends and hopefully meet and make a few more. (apparently Jim requires us back at Ballyneal every two years to compete in The Yucca!!) I am live on the Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia – send me a PM if you are ever in the area.

It is only 53 sleeps, and beginning to get very excited.

July 8:
Depart Melb to Hong Kong then Arrive SFO about the same time – arrive in late – so staying near airport.
July 9:
Dawn tee time near SFO – either SFGC, Cal Club or Harding Park - TBC.
Fly SFO to Denver, meet up with 3 Aussie mates, drive to Ballyneal for “THE YUCCA” – Jim Colton’s 54 holer.
2 days at Ballyneal G&HC – 36-72holes

July 11:
Drive to Sand Hills, Nebraska
2 FULL days at Sand Hills – 72 holes +?

July 14:
Travel day
North Platte to Denver to Portland to North Bend to Bandon Dunes

July 15:
4 days at Bandon Dunes, 36 each course.
Celebrate mate’s 40th Birthday
Watch the British Open

July 18:
Bandon Dunes to San Jose to Santa Cruz – Solo – each go our own way
July 19:

Monterey Peninsula – 3.5 days – leaving some flexibility in this section as not all confirmed
Pasatiempo – 18 holes, MPCC - TBC, CPC visit, Pebble (maybe –cost and spongy greens a factor) and Pacific Grove – esp the back 9?
4-5 rounds all up hopefully

July 22:
Travel San Jose to LAX – meet up with 1 Aussie mate again
Play Riviera pm

July 23:
Depart USA from LAX via Tokyo and Perth – the long way round, but was late booking and needed to use points.
July 25:
Arrive home.

Cheers and thanks

Brett
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Travelling Further North... USA
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »
PS: I had originally planned to include the East coast on this tour, but schedule was way too cramped, as is my time and extra effort in applying for access, will have to wait for another trip in a few years time - Travelling North part II, when I have more time to plan.
@theflatsticker

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Brett,

Have Fun! It's gonna be an awesome trip.  Very interested to hear your comments and comparisons post-game...Take some notes!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
Now that is a golf trip!!! :o

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »
What a fabulous trip you have planned.

Best wishes and enjoy!

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
If some of your Monterrey plans get fouled up consider Spyglass or a second round at Pasatiempo.  The first 5 holes at Spyglass are as good as it gets.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
Next trip, I suggest choosing some better courses...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:20 AM »
Jason: yes I am hoping to squeeze Spy in - hopefully when I book Spy, they will let me also book a rd at Pebble and avoid the $1,200 + acc costs.

Any idea if getting caddies etc will help in getting a more than 24hr booking at Pebble ?

Ron: you must be from the East Coast  ;D
- seriously though, I am disappointed not to have enough time and ability to get to see Crystal, Whistling, Oakmont, Merion, PV aand all those great tracks on Long Island and up the coast there. Hopefully one day I will an opportunity to get back there to see more of Tillnghast, Macdonald, Raynor and also Crump, Colt and Wilson - there are just so many in the States, truly incredible. 8)
@theflatsticker

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »
That's a hell of a trip...let me know if there's anyway I can ride along in your suitcase :) ;)
H.P.S.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:06:58 AM »
Bummer, I will be with the family in Maui when you pass through San Francisco on July 9...always enjoy playing with the folks from the Southern Hemisphere.  Hope you are able to arrange a game with one of the SF area folks.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
Kevin

Why dont you travel a bit further south to Aust. instead sometime so some of us can repay some of that hospitality ?

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
Kevin, I am back thru on the 18th/19th on my way down to Monterey?
@theflatsticker

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 12:53:20 AM »
Kevin, I am back thru on the 18th/19th on my way down to Monterey?

Brett, unfortunately 18th is a Sunday (family day) and 19th is a Monday (courses closed). 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:58:58 AM »
Kevin
Why dont you travel a bit further south to Aust. instead sometime so some of us can repay some of that hospitality ?

Not Oz, but still hoping to get to NZ for the Rugby World Cup next year...not a golf trip.  A friend is planning the trip, and I haven't formally committed yet.  Three games in particular are on the wish list:

Ireland-US - Sept. 11
Ireland - Australia - Sept. 17
France - NZ - Sept. 24

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:52 AM »
I'm jet lagged just reading your itinerary.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Kevin

Not Oz, but still hoping to get to NZ for the Rugby World Cup next year...not a golf trip.  A friend is planning the trip, and I haven't formally committed yet.  Three games in particular are on the wish list:

Ireland-US - Sept. 11
Ireland - Australia - Sept. 17
France - NZ - Sept. 24

Did you play for the Old Blues?

If you did, was my old pal Murdo Nicholson still playing for them?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back