News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Muy OT: walker cup lodging in Philly
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »
It looks like I might be in Philly-Land for the GH Walker Cup as an exalted member of the media.  I wonder if anyone has suggestions for lodging in the city of Brotherly Love. Respond to me off-line as I cannot envision what this thread might become.  Thanks in advance.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Bausch

Re: Muy OT: walker cup lodging in Philly
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
I thought I might 'bump' this thread as the Walker Cup approaches.  Perhaps you are on the fence and thinking about coming, but don't have accommodations and are assuming not much is available anymore.  Or maybe you've just put off making a hotel reservation.

A GCA.com member from my hometown is coming in on Friday and originally had booked a place in downtown Philly as most places out on the Main Line are booked, plus it appears easy to take the Septa R5 commuter rail train out from Center City to get to Merion. Well, the R5 Ardmore stop is still a nice little hike to the course (about 1 mile).

I've checked to see that my school's conference center (Villanova Conference Center) still has rooms available and the convenience of getting to the matches could not be easier as the R100 train has a station right next to the Conference Center (called the County Line stop), and you just take that down 8 stops to the Ardmore Avenue station and you are right next to the course!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chuck Brown

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
Gosh if this is "OT" then I hate to think of what "college football" is... ;D :D ;)  mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....

This is helpful information to me, and I'd appreciate any more in this vein.

Thanks!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »
Clearly the GCA guys live in a different tax bracket than I.  I went cheap and found a motel 6 in King of Prussia for sub $50 and about 20 minutes away.  I'll be there Saturday and Sunday with a pink carnation in my lapel should you have trouble finding me.

Funny story:  at Bethpage on Wednesday, Ben Martin was playing solo and teed off on #5.  A guy grabbed him for an autograph and asked "Who are you?"  Martin smiled, told him and continued on.  Oh, how close I was to having the story of the year.  I have a picture of the moment and everything.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:46 AM »
I'm also in a KOP motel, with a rental car. It's like a  8 minute drive to the course

ChipOat

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:44:07 AM »
King of Prussia to Merion in under 30 minutes is unlikely unless it's the middle of the night even if you know the back roads.  Figure at least 45 minutes if it's morning rush hour.  The highway infrastructure in SE Pennsylvania was already overloaded when the 1981 U.S. Open was played there.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
I'm also in a KOP motel, with a rental car. It's like a  8 minute drive to the course

Peter,

If you are coming all that way, you need something a little more unique than some roadside hotel in King of Prussia. Not sure of availability but try the B&B at Bryn Mawr College:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/wyndham/bedbreakfast.html

2 miles from The East @ $119.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:44 AM »
For those of you staying in the King of Prussia area, the trip down will be interesting if you have a car.  The visitor parking lot is over by the Radnor Hotel in St. Davids (close to where I live).  That trip will be 20 minutes probably in morning traffic, minimum.  Then you will have to grab a shuttle bus to Merion, which is an 8 mile trip and another 20 minutes at least.

I would recommend instead driving from your KofP hotel to the Gulph Mills station of the R100 train (http://www.septa.com/service/sched/pdfs/100.pdf).  There is free parking at this station.  Hell, while you're waiting for the next train, take a peek at the Gulph Mills course nearby.  ;)

Take the R100 train toward 69th St Station and get off at the Ardmore Avenue stop, which is right next to the course.  The train ride is a grand total of 12 minutes!  Your trip from your KofP hotel to the Gulph Mills station is maybe 10 minutes tops.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chuck Brown

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
For those of you staying in the King of Prussia area, the trip down will be interesting if you have a car.  The visitor parking lot is over by the Radnor Hotel in St. Davids (close to where I live).  That trip will be 20 minutes probably in morning traffic, minimum.  Then you will have to grab a shuttle bus to Merion, which is an 8 mile trip and another 20 minutes at least.

I would recommend instead driving from your KofP hotel to the Gulph Mills station of the R100 train (http://www.septa.com/service/sched/pdfs/100.pdf).  There is free parking at this station.  Hell, while you're waiting for the next train, take a peek at the Gulph Mills course nearby.  ;)

Take the R100 train toward 69th St Station and get off at the Ardmore Avenue stop, which is right next to the course.  The train ride is a grand total of 12 minutes!  Your trip from your KofP hotel to the Gulph Mills station is maybe 10 minutes tops.

Joe -- THANK YOU.  Superb advice.  I just printed this.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
Joe is absolutely right.  This is how I got to Merion in '05 for the Amateur, and it was a piece of cake.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back