News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Over the past thirteen years with GolfClubAtlas.com, one nagging regret I’ve had is that we (me included) haven’t taken advantage fully of its non-commercial aspect. Given no sponsor pressure or even need to attract page views, we are all free to write in detail regarding a subject matter upon which nearly all other media outlets would pass.

A perfect example of what I wish ‘we’ did more of is Chris Buie’s latest on Pinehurst. It isn’t on its halcyon days with folks like Fownes, Tillinghast and Travis stopping in to see Ross. Nor is it on Coore & Crenshaw’s well chronicled - and highly successful - effort in recapturing No.2’s uniqueness. Rather, Chris focuses on a period of time whereby Pinehurst lost its way, roughly from Ross’s death in 1948 to the late 1960s when Richard Tufts sold the resort to Diamondhead. Hence, the title The Middle Ages of Pinehurst.

Admittedly, that period was a tough stretch in American history. WWII changed everything and for a period of time, art forms of all kinds (buildings, paintings, golf courses, etc. ) suffered with stark functionality replacing creativity. No surprise that these times took a toll on Pinehurst. What IS a surprise is that the changes were driven by Richard Tufts, son of Leonard Tufts, as well as Henson Maples, son of long time Green Keeper Frank Maples. In theory, one might have thought/hoped that these very two people would have been the most respectful/mindful of what their predecessors had created. Sadly, no matter how you slice things, time has shown that was not the case.

Chris is careful to say that they worked with good intentions. To quote Chris, Richard Tufts was “...what you would call a perfect gentleman with immaculate manners who was entirely dedicated to the game and to Pinehurst.” Like countless other business executives that have sat on club boards intending to do well for their club, Richard Tufts certainly thought his actions would benefit Pinehurst over the long haul. Why not split up Pinehurst No. 3, using some of its holes for the newly created No. 5, to help accommodate the growing demand for rounds? Also, having RTJ Sr. alter No. 4 was surely the right decision, too, wasn’t it? Ross was dead and RTJ was the biggest name in architecture at the time.

Being both an owner and an architect is to be all powerful. Tufts had his own thoughts and he had the power to see them implemented. In his role, Henson saw that the sand faces were grassed down and certain greens modified, all for the sake of saving money. In the process, Ross’s handiwork was undermined, Pinehurst’s natural sandy state was slowly hidden from view, and the golf became more standardized.

Yet, there is nothing unsavory or greedy in their actions. If there was, that would simplify the story! This is more complex with no neat, tidy ending. After all, Richard Tufts didn’t undertake these actions simply to capitalize on lot sales as America pulled out of its gloomy times. His love was amateur golf, first and foremost. The houses that now line No. 3 and No. 5 were largely built by Diamondhead in the 1970s after Tufts was forced to sell for estate tax reasons.

So what drove him to cancel the North and South Open, strip Harvie Ward of his amateur status, and break up and alter the tightly knit four courses? We may never fully know. Leading up to the US Opens to be contested here in 2014, no one is likely to cover the evolution of Pinehurst from this perspective or during this time period either. Again, this is not the type story that lends itself to a feel good piece. And perhaps maybe it is of no concern to you – all you care about is that No.2 is once again great and your friends and you are coming!

Still, the old adage of those ‘who don’t know history are doomed to repeat’ seems to apply here. Simply turning our back on this (regrettable) period of time is to not learn from it, which is a shame. What adds to this journey is Chris’s characteristic meandering prose which weaves in and out of the disparate elements of a complex story. It is his storytelling approach rather than a dry progression of facts which helps him do an uncommonly good job of evoking a distinctive sense of time and place, at least to me. For example, no one else uses the turn of phrases below, which makes the read all the more entertaining:

Donald Ross was the man who handed the medal to the winner of Pinehurst’s major tournament. What sort of experience do you suppose that was? All those years of chasing the dream across those endless fields…and then the sun setting over the iconic clubhouse with the Scotsman offering congratulations in a voice still reflective of his native land. It would have been one of those handful of golden moments in life which remain a spectral presence far beyond the duration of the given day. In fact, most of the visitors during this era had their own mesmeric experiences. Only it was not usually with such fanfare. In smaller and quieter ways the same scenario played out with individual variations; such as in the exquisite stillness of a late afternoon on the veranda, a moonlight walk to the Carolina or a soaring four iron to the heart of one of those distinctive greens. In a way, you could say such sublime experiences have always been the raison d’etre of the village. Was it not for this so many travellers returned year after year?

Donald Ross would not have been pleased to see the winding path his magnum opus took after his long years of toil through that longleaf forest. However, this ongoing journey back to the intended essence would have impressed him greatly.

And some of the best chapters haven’t even been written yet.

I hope others might consider following suit and delve into topics considered too esoteric elsewhere. In the meanwhile, we have Chris’s latest and greatest from America’s Home of Golf to savor and enjoy.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:33:28 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Colin Macqueen

Re: Chris Buie's The Middle Ages of Pinehurst is now posted under IMO
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
Chris,
Once again nice writing conjuring up a lost era. The Harvey Ward story is particularly poignant.
Thanks.
Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
Fantastic piece Chris. I love your writing style. It meanders but is easy and enjoyable to follow.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »
As one would expect from Chris, the second installment examining Pinehurst's evolution is lively, insightful and probing. The overall "lost their way" take is dead on...and eerily mirrors the golf industry today. There have been flickers of hope that the game may eventually return to a healthy center-of-the-fairway vigor; the resource conserving, leaner, more natural presentation mantra has gained some momentum and a shakeout of the overbloated, industry excess mercifully continues.

That said, there is much work to be done. I find it ironic that Ran, Chris and Richard Mandell all call Pinehurst home. It's no accident from my view. There is a thought-provoking serenity and energy that inhabits the quieter recesses of that area that is hard to describe, but is certainly felt. Especially if you really love nature and the game. Few places do it better than the Pinehurst region...and they have been doing it that way for quite a while!

When you reflect on the demise of the North-South as it was...a treasured event that delivered in so many ways...and realize selfish elitism and player greed were the principle factors, one hopes that the lessons from that haven't been lost. As Chris correctly points out, assessing what history reveals is often the best way to chart the right way forward.

Thank you Chris, for another stimulating read!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:21:31 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
As I approach my one year anniversary of visiting Pinehurst, for the first time, I'm heartened by reading Chris' piece on the middle ages. The feelings he writes about were very apparent. Even the serenity of watching the sun set over the golf course, from the clubhouse.

I doubt the golf culture here in the Nebraska sandhills, will ever come close to it's namesake in North Carolina, but that's why they invented airplanes.

Good on ya mate.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:44:55 PM »
Thanks much, Chris. My first chance to read it, and I'm very glad I did - you elegantly took me to a world I know nothing about and helped me experience it.

For my tastes, your work has developed into the best we have to offer around here.

Peter

Chris Buie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.
It's enjoyable to attempt to create something that's not the usual fare. Trying to do one of these things is a little like playing a round of golf. You can never tell exactly which way its going to go - but a pleasure to try. Well, pleasurable for me, not necessarily for the reader who gets dragged through all these obscure back alleys of history. As usual, I'd imagine some would enjoy it and others would find it a bit much. Brevity can be a good way to go - but sometimes it's more satisfying to follow the subjects quite a bit further...especially if you don't know exactly where they're going to take you.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Chris:

A beautiful piece, and as always your writing style doesn't just capture the story, it compels the reader to think.  There is a subtext underlying your story that is perhaps worthy of its own exploration, that being the plight of the railroad resort as America moved on to other forms of travel.  Add in the depression and the war years, and its amazing that resort's like Pinehurst survived at all.  It would be interesting to chart the highs and lows of places like The Greenbrier, the Bon Air Vanderbilt, Pinehurst and Virginia Hot Springs as a group.  Those that have seen their renaissance all seem to have one thing in common, golf courses that were worthy of the tender loving care it took to reveal their former glory.

All the best, and looking forward to your next installment,

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »
Chris-

One could argue that Tuft's did as much harm to Pinehurst and the game of golf as he did good.  If you consider the devaluing of the Ross designs, The elimination of the North & South, and having a heavy hand in ending the amateur career of Harvie Ward one could easily come to the conclusion that he harmed the very game it was trying to protect

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
Chris,

This is a beautiful piece of work. A joy to read. Well done.

Nearly got to Pinehurst once, illness intervened. Still hope to do so one day though.

All the best.

Chris Buie

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
Thanks much Thomas.
Jeff, you may be right. I started that piece with something else in mind but those three points (the North-South, the courses and Harvie) began to really stand out and...that's just how the piece turned out. I didn't intend to just bash someone who's not here to defend himself. Plus, I'm sure he had many fine qualities. But never the less, any way you look at it in retrospect, those are three really big missteps. I tried to make it a sort of cautionary tale rather than just a deconstruction. Obviously, any epic story is going to have missteps. The key is to learn from them and to do that you do have to examine why that happened. Then you correct them - and much to the credit of the chaps minding the store over there now that course correction (so to speak) is well on its way. Ultra championship golf is now reinstated. No. 2 is magnificent again. And...we'll see over the course of time how the four sided ultra masterpiece is dealt with.

Other than the unplanned deconstruction I was attempting to convey with some vitality how supremely brilliant those three major parts of the story were. And make no mistake - the courses, the tournament and Harvie were all magic on the highest level.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back