News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Golf in New York City Area
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
I am going to New York City at the end of August and am looking for suggestions of where to play in the area.  I would be curious to hear suggestions other than the obvious courses on Long Island.  Thanks in advance.

Matt_Ward

Re: Golf in New York City Area
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:42:53 PM »
Deucie:

There's too much to cover -- if you specify what kind of budget you have and the amount of days that will help things greatly for any suggestions I and others can offer.

Dave Falkner

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
are you going to be on Long Island. Westchester, NJ. CT?

Deucie Bies

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
I will be in the city and if I can find somewhere to play, I plan to rent a car for the day and drive.  I would be curious to hear all suggestions regardless of cost.  Thanks.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
play the Knoll Club

Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »
On the private side there are dozens and dozens (and dozens) of wonderful courses, including the big names - late-August is a very slow time around here due to vacation schedules etc - certainly the easiest time all summer to get unaccompanied access to courses if you have a pro at your club who can help with enquiries - might be tougher in the Hamptons or other vacation destinations but around Manhattan you should have no trouble at all but a few elite clubs Tuesday through Friday - due to hot weather and low volume of play a lot of clubs do major aeration the last couple weeks of August so check ahead

Ron Csigo

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
If you're going to be in NYC, then head to Bethpage State Park.  Must play the Black.  Also, the Red and Green courses are noteworthy.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »
I would go try and get on the Black as well. It's a very unique experience and one that doesn't really cost too much either.
H.P.S.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
Other than Bethpage. are there other suggestions?  Or are there too many suggestions to be productive?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:01:14 AM »
Or are there too many suggestions to be productive?

You need to be a little more specific. Are you a single? Are you able to get on private courses? Weekday or weekend? Parkland vs links style........ I am away at that time to host but can offer suggestions depending on more specific parameters.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »
First take the shuttle to the Randals Island Golf Center on 86th st. Then when you get back, walk 1 block (dont forget to stop at the Papya King for a hot dog enroute) to the uptown subway to Van Courtland Park and play the oldest public golf course in the country. Check the locker-room upstairs and the pictures of Babe Ruth.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »
First take the shuttle to the Randals Island Golf Center on 86th st. Then when you get back, walk 1 block (dont forget to stop at the Papya King for a hot dog enroute) to the uptown subway to Van Courtland Park and play the oldest public golf course in the country. Check the locker-room upstairs and the pictures of Babe Ruth.

Be carefull if you play Van Cortlandt Park GC - rounds can be brutally long!!

Chris

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »
haha Van Courtland rounds can be long... sure... but it beats the 6:30 you find at Bethpage, and you don't have traffic if you take the subway!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back