News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: JT's golf course is set to open 7/25
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »

How far from Nashville?

Anthony

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »

How far from Nashville?

Anthony

Three hours.  Plus 30 minutes if one stops at Bozo's Barbecue in Mason.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JC Jones

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »

How far from Nashville?

Anthony

Three hours.  Plus 30 minutes if one stops at Bozo's Barbecue in Mason.

Bogey

You and Timberlake, Bogey, bringing sexy back!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 06:38:31 AM »
Who's the architect?  Tom Walker told me some time back that he was doing a course for Timberlake's parents somewhere around Memphis.  Is this the one?  JC

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 08:40:05 AM »
I wouldn't open the scorecard box on the 2nd hole either.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jul/13/july-25-big-day-for-area-golfers/

My man JT's course is opening next week!

Any Tenn folks planning to check this place out when it opens?

JT spent $16 million renovating this place. I just can't see how he is going to get that money back. Anybody know who did the design work?

Just a word of caution.   Don't order "The Box" lunch.

H.P.S.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
Based on the numbers in the article, Mr. Timberlake will be making a great contribution to the local golfing community.  We should all wish him a long, prosperous career in the entertainment business.  The project appears to be a money pit complete with a 43,000 s.f. clubhouse.  Hopefully it is his money and not that of friendly investors or taxpayer-backed financial institutions.  Perhaps his celebrity will keep a steady line of customers coming in the door with cash or plastic in hand.

The markets may be somewhat different (though I have not heard that Memphis was a particularly affluent area), but this course appears as a stark contrast to the one Kenny Perry built in KY.  I understand that it was not until recently that Mr. Perry's austere property broke even.  Nevertheless, if it is Mr. Timeberlake's money, all the more power to him.

Tim Bert

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 11:41:30 PM »
Just watching the "Mother Lover" video from SAturday Night Live and I thought of this thread.

A friend played this "new" course last weekend.  I was a bit surprised to learn that essentially the previous routing remains in tact.  I thought they had completely scrapped the course and started with a blank canvas.  The par and direction of each hole is the same and it was similar enough that he had a comfort level on his tee shots unlike he usually experiences on a course for the first time.

This isn't to imply that the holes are exactly the same.  He said one of the biggest difference has taken place with some mounding and undulations that didn't exist before.  Whereas the front nine before offered a level lie in almost all cases, there are now many places that leave an uneven lie.  The greens are also completely redone and some are much larger with more movement.

Still, he felt that the visual upgrades were more prevalent than the architectural upgrades.  My friend has been on many of my trips and seen some outstanding courses.  While he isn't necessarily the architecture junkie I am, he does pay attention.  He was paired with another golfer he had not previously met.  Through the course of conversation, it came up that their partner had played Bandon, Kohler, Sand Hills, etc.  Some fairly comparable experiences to my friend.  The two well-traveled golfers agreed that the course was a nice, upscale public addition for the greater Memphis area, but one that probably wouldn't warrant a trip to see for anyone that wasn't already going to be in the area.  He thought the price point of $70 was appropriate, but we are both interested to see if they can draw significant play at that price point at this location (a little bit of a drive for most that live in the greater Memphis area) in this economy. 

One of the final thoughts from my friend on the phone this evening was "Not sure where exactly they spent all that money."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 11:47:17 PM »
Richard, Has anyone told you around these parts JT is Jim Thompson and the course is Angel's Crossing.

Could you change your title of the thread to include Justin's full name, please?

I have clicked on this thread twice now anxiously awaiting the opening of AC. Instead, and with all due respect to your boy, I have been disappointed. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John_Conley

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
One of the final thoughts from my friend on the phone this evening was "Not sure where exactly they spent all that money."

I think that every time I play somewhere after hearing of the $3 million, $7 million, or $15 million.  I wonder, is it possible these courses take all the lost revenue from time closed and tack it onto the quoted bill?

Tom Fazio supposedly spent $14 million to update Seaside.  $3 million later Deer Run (a low end course in my area) looks exactly like it did before

Big Creek had that abysmally plain front nine routing and an interesting back side.  If all he did as regrass and put in a few waterfalls the newspaper account was greatly inflated.  I too got the impression it was all new.  On the same site.

Chris Rock hosted the MTV Movie Awards one year.  Acclaimed for its big box office take and impossibly low budget, "Blair Witch Project" was all the buzz.  His monologue referenced seeing the movie made for just $10,000 and wanting to know who stole $9,500.

Tim Bert

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:39 AM »
John -

He did upgrade the bunkering and the greens significantly. I was just surprised to here it was the same basic back and forth layout on the front. Thought they might have done something to mix it up and make it more interesting.

I believe my friend viewed it as a significant upgrade from Big Creek. He just didn't think it was going to become a destination course.  He also read that one of there goals was top 100 and he said he has played way too many courses that were better and not on those lists to think this was going to crack them. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back