News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

I believe it was contested entirely on the new course by Tommy Fazio.

I DVR'd the semifinal action on Friday night and watched a bit last night - looked like a pretty compelling course to this viewer. More than anything else, it just looked like, with the combination of land movement and lots of short grass (loved the way the fairways blended into the greens), there would be a lot of opportunities for interesting shots.

There hasn't been too much discussion of the new course at Trump - I'd love to see and hear more.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Forrest Richardson

I caught just the tail end. It looked to be an interesting course from the few holes I saw. The par-5 with the knoll concealing the green appear interesting from the camera's viewpoint.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

K. Krahenbuhl

Both courses were used throughout, although the final two rounds (which was the only golf televised) were played on the New Course.  Some really great play from the junior golfers.  Talk about putting without fear!

Forrest,
I thougth the same thing when they showed the ground level shot of the second on that par 5.

George Pazin

Thanks for the added info, Kyle.

The shot that looked really cool to me was the approach to #8, where it looked like you were hitting to a greensite perched atop a little hill.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Lapper

Jed Peters did a very elaborate photo essay a while back. I believe this essay was done shortly before the course was open for play.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=35774.0

The 8th is indeed a wonderful par 5. It's green is the smallest (and most wind-exposed) on the course. It is reachable in two for the bigger hitters in benign wind conditions. Not much room to the left(bunker) or over the back with the green tilting back-to-front and right-to-left.

The course is indeed a good one, with plenty of exceptional holes(#7,8,9,13,17,18), quite a few solid ones(#1,2,3,4,6,10,12,16), and only a couple that just don't feel consistent.

As for the Juniors Tournament, my on-hand observations were that these kids are indeed fearless, the winners were clearly the best in the field and most all of them have great respect for the game. It was nice seeing them conduct themselves with dignity.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:18:05 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Chuck Brown

Yeah, I watched the end of the final matches and I thought the course looked nice.  I was struck that there was a good selection of mature specimen trees for framing and perspective, without affecting the lines of play.  Lots of nice fescue, and yeah the land has some real good movement.  How long was it from the Boys' tees?

K. Krahenbuhl

How long was it from the Boys' tees?

Both courses played between 7,100 and 7,200.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back