News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Battle Creek (Willie Park) Michigan New
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
Is anyone familiar with this layout ? A supt. from western Michigan told me Battle Creek CC has some neat greens. Brian Cenci posted a picture which seems to validate that.  Overall, how is the routing and the nature of terrain ?   What are some of the most interesting holes. Is the course intact, or has it suffered inappropriate renovations. Thanks.

Any photos or comments re Battle Creek will be greatly apppreciated
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:34:33 PM by mark chalfant »

Joe Hancock

Re: Battle Creek (Park) Michigan
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »
Renaissance has done a master plan or consulted there years ago. I don't know what is original or not, but there's some wicked back to front sloping greens there.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:18:10 PM »
Renaissance has done a master plan or consulted there years ago. I don't know what is original or not, but there's some wicked back to front sloping greens there.

Joe

Especially the 18th. Or the meanest false front I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:19:55 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Brian Cenci

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
Mark,
     I played there (I think last year) and enjoyed the course.  I remember the conditions being very nice and the greens interesting.  I wouldn't say its better than like CC of Lansing or Muskegon CC or any much better than the many local private clubs that dot our landscape.  I have no clue how much the original "Park" stuff is still there.

-Brian
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:49:56 AM by Brian Cenci »

Kyle Christensen

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »
I played Battle Creek CC yesterday and the conditioning was excellent. A few years ago they started pulling out a bunch of trees they planted in the 50s-60s  and the course looks and plays much better. Also, in the past few years the club has been doing work to get it back to the original layout. To my untrained eye, it seems like the greens are probably pretty true to original. They have a pretty neat set of greens compared to the other clubs in the area with boring Newcomb, Arthur hills, etc.. greens. If you get a chance to play out there it is worth it. Nothing in a 50 mile radius is as good as BCCC in my opinion, and I have played everything in the area.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
Mark,

I agree with the other posts that BCCC has a very good set of greens. The 18th is almost unbelievable as to its false front. Something to see. Worth playing if in the area. If they've done some tree work, it will have likely improved the playing corridors.

Greg

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back