News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

A Kiwi in America
« on: July 22, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »
I have been home just under a week after spending 14 days in the US, visiting friends and playing plenty of golf.
I started the trip by flying to San Francisco direct and then on to Bandon Dunes.  The courses here have been discussed plenty of times so I will just chime in with a few first time impressions.

Started at Pacific Dunes- Great routing, no week holes and the 4th hole really sets the tone for the ocean side holes.  Turf conditions were hard and fast and the wind was a significant factor as expected.  Just an amazing start to the journey.

Bandon Dunes-Very enjoyable- more open than Pacific.  I wondered about 16 and the bottom fairway.  I did not think there was enough room to make this a viable option even if you took a club for position off the tee.  A small question but otherwise a terrific course.

Bandon Trails-Better than expected.  Nice to get inland a little and away from the strong winds.  Really enjoyed holes 13 through 17.

Old MacDonald-The size of the course is what grabbed my attention first.  People on this site are going to have great fun looking at the features on all the holes.  I would love to see the end result.

I then met up With Ed Getka in Denver and we met those who had played at Common Ground.  Thanks guys for a wonderful evening and great start to this leg of the trip.

Wild Horse-A great facility and unbelievable value.  We started on 10 which was a harder introduction than starting at 1.  Greens were in excellent condition even though they were not as fast as normal due the more than normal rain.

Sand Hills-The drive from North Platte really set the tone.  The land just wet the appetite for finding a course and playing.  On arrival we went and had a look from Bens Porch and the view was amazing.  I played 45 holes the next day and Ed played 54.  I think the course just makes want to keep going round as many times as you can.

Ballyneal-I really liked this place.  The idea of teeing up the ball where you see it is great.  It allows you to play the course to your level of ability.  The opions you have really make so many holes very different. You could play here so many times and never get tired of the options and challenges.

Had to say goodbye to Ed unfortunately and moved on to Chicago.

Olympia Fields North-It was always going to be interesting to go play a parkland course after what had gone previously.  In this case I was amazed at the quality of the course with the 3 and 14 just great holes.  The course was strong throughout with the last 6 holes providing a great finish.
I also had the a tour of the South course and can see why this is great alternative 18.  The knoll hole and the view up 18 will last long in the memory.

Beverly CC- It was amazing to find a course in this location.  The bunkering to the sides and front of the greens were a particular feature as was the tilt on many of the greens.  A very enjoyable course and a great venue for the Senior Amateur.

Finally I would like to thank all the GCA people I met for making me so welcome.  Your hopitality was thee highlight of the trip.  To those who hosted myself and Ed an even bigger thanks, we were very fortunate to have the pleasure of your company.

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Kiwi in America
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
I have been home just under a week after spending 14 days in the US, visiting friends and playing plenty of golf.
I started the trip by flying to San Francisco direct and then on to Bandon Dunes.  The courses here have been discussed plenty of times so I will just chime in with a few first time impressions.

Started at Pacific Dunes- Great routing, no week holes and the 4th hole really sets the tone for the ocean side holes.  Turf conditions were hard and fast and the wind was a significant factor as expected.  Just an amazing start to the journey.

Bandon Dunes-Very enjoyable- more open than Pacific.  I wondered about 16 and the bottom fairway.  I did not think there was enough room to make this a viable option even if you took a club for position off the tee.  A small question but otherwise a terrific course.

Bandon Trails-Better than expected.  Nice to get inland a little and away from the strong winds.  Really enjoyed holes 13 through 17.

Old MacDonald-The size of the course is what grabbed my attention first.  People on this site are going to have great fun looking at the features on all the holes.  I would love to see the end result.

I then met up With Ed Getka in Denver and we met those who had played at Common Ground.  Thanks guys for a wonderful evening and great start to this leg of the trip.

Wild Horse-A great facility and unbelievable value.  We started on 10 which was a harder introduction than starting at 1.  Greens were in excellent condition even though they were not as fast as normal due the more than normal rain.

Sand Hills-The drive from North Platte really set the tone.  The land just wet the appetite for finding a course and playing.  On arrival we went and had a look from Bens Porch and the view was amazing.  I played 45 holes the next day and Ed played 54.  I think the course just makes want to keep going round as many times as you can.

Ballyneal-I really liked this place.  The idea of teeing up the ball where you see it is great.  It allows you to play the course to your level of ability.  The opions you have really make so many holes very different. You could play here so many times and never get tired of the options and challenges.

Had to say goodbye to Ed unfortunately and moved on to Chicago.

Olympia Fields North-It was always going to be interesting to go play a parkland course after what had gone previously.  In this case I was amazed at the quality of the course with the 3 and 14 just great holes.  The course was strong throughout with the last 6 holes providing a great finish.
I also had the a tour of the South course and can see why this is great alternative 18.  The knoll hole and the view up 18 will last long in the memory.

Beverly CC- It was amazing to find a course in this location.  The bunkering to the sides and front of the greens were a particular feature as was the tilt on many of the greens.  A very enjoyable course and a great venue for the Senior Amateur.

Finally I would like to thank all the GCA people I met for making me so welcome.  Your hopitality was thee highlight of the trip.  To those who hosted myself and Ed an even bigger thanks, we were very fortunate to have the pleasure of your company.

That's an amazing trip, Ash. You played all of my favorite courses in America (not that I've seen many of them yet) and then some in a very short time span.

Come back soon, amigo!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »
Hi Ash

Sounds like a great trip !!

How long should one allow to do Bandon ? re: flights / drivng and actual playing time ?

I'm thinking of going there one day and would appreciate your advice having just done it

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
Hi Ash

How long should one allow to do Bandon ? re: flights / drivng and actual playing time ?

I'm thinking of going there one day and would appreciate your advice having just done it

If your traveling from overseas,

I would give Bandon at least 5 days.  4 days at the resort and 1/2 day on each end for travel to and from Portland International Airport.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
Ash, It was nice meeting you and seeing you golf.
 My only regret is that it was too short a time.

You certainly did see some varied areas of this vast country.
Which area would you say reminded you most of NZ?
Where did you feel the most at ease? Relaxed?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Smolens

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »
Ash, it was a pleasure wandering around Olympia Fields with you (thanks Terry L for the invite, and Shelly for the company).  The pork chops were pretty nice too.  I look forward to six numbers in the lottery so I can spend half a day on a plane so that I can see your course in NZ.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
Ash,

Thanks for making the detour to have dinner with us in Denver. It looks like you had the perfect combo: superb courses played with equally superb people.

Cheers,
Wyatt

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
Ash,

It was a pleasure to meet, golf and discuss gca with you. I'm glad to hear that the rest of your trip went smoothly. Overall a very impressive undertaking.

-Daryn

Ash Towe

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Kevin-Try to fly up to Coos Bay direct from San Francisco.  Then get the shuttle to Bandon.  It saves a lot of time.  You need at least 4 playing days to do justice to the place.

Adam-Around Bandon reminded me of the centre of the North Island.  Maybe it was just the pine trees.  I was comfortable wherever I went because the people I met made me feel that way.  I would have liked to have played at Ballyneal with you.  Your insights would have been fascinating.

Mark-Olympia Fields was just great.  A return visit plus the South course would be on the cards if I get the lottery. 

Wyatt, Daryn-You have summed up things nicely.  The people I met made the trip. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
Hi Ash

If your traveling from overseas,

I would give Bandon at least 5 days.  4 days at the resort and 1/2 day on each end for travel to and from Portland International Airport.

Cheers Kalen and Ash for your advice - I may have a few days to play with and was considering the logistics re: same

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »
Ash,
    It was great to golf with you and meet our GCA brethren on the trip. The kiwi headcover has been co-opted by my youngest as expected. It was a fantastic 4 days of golf together and I will have many happy reminiscences. I don't think we can ever top our day at Cypress, but this trip is way up there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ash Towe

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 03:20:32 AM »
Ed,
 It was great to catch up with you.  I always learn so much about golf course architecture when in your company.  Cypress on its own will be just about impossible to beat but the four days playing Wild Horse, Sand Hills and Ballyneal constitute an amazing experience.
I am glad the headcover has found a good home :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back