News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Madison, WI Area
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
I'll be in Madison August 11th for my annual teaching gig.  While it's very difficult to pass on a return to Lawsonia, I'd like to see some other courses in the area.  I haven't played a Harbottle course so I'm interested in Hawks Landing.  Also, I'd like to see more of Hurdzan's work so I'm considering Wild Rock.  Any thoughts on these or other nearby courses (hint: any Lankford hidden gems) would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mark chalfant

Re: Madison, WI Area
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Mike,

West Bend has nine very good Langford Holes.  I think Phil  D. and Dan  Moore have spoken highly of Spring Valley (Langford), I dont know if S.V is more than 60-70 minutes distant from  Madison.  I think Black Hawk , near town, has been recommended by a few
on our website.  Have a great trip

Will Peterson

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
Hawks Landing is alright, but Bergamont is better.

I really enjoyed Wild Rock.  It has a lot of unique holes and while it still has some growing up to do, it is more than worth a trip.

Blackhawk is very short and very tight.  Its in great shape and a lot of fun to play.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
Michael,  University Ridge is always a nice choice on the public side. Cherokee is nice as well on the private side. Lots of golf at Lake Genva as well. Big Foot is a fine choice in Fontana.                 Have fun,  Jack

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »

Play Blackhawk CC if you can get on it. U Ridge is pretty and usually in good shape but not great architecturally. I haven't played Hawks; it opened after I left the area.

If you get down to Janesville, try and play Janesville CC and Riverside muni, both are great old courses.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »
Mike,

West Bend has nine very good Langford Holes.  I think Phil  D. and Dan  Moore have spoken highly of Spring Valley (Langford), I dont know if S.V is more than 60-70 minutes distant from  Madison.  I think Black Hawk , near town, has been recommended by a few
on our website.  Have a great trip

Spring Valley would be a haul from the Madison area.

University Ridge is an option (I have heard good things, but not played) also there is a 9 hole Langford course in the area that I believe is called Norsk Country Club

Chris

Brad Swanson

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »
Mike,
  What did I do to you, kick your dog?  Steal your wife?  Root against the Vols (well, guilty as charged there).  Check your PM.

Cheers,
Brad

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Brad,

I'll follow up on those IM's tomorrow.  You and Dick remain my favorite cheeseheads in the entire free world. 

Mike

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:38:03 AM »
Mike:

University Ridge (which I'm milk-warm about) is the best public bet in the greater Madison area; I was just there for an outing, and the course as usual is in fine shape, and the URidge folks very accomodating. It has its rabid supporters; I'm not one of them, but probably worth playing if you haven't seen it.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38431.0/

Harbottle's Hawks Landing is right next door to URidge; a "big" course that winds around high-end housing and condos, if that's your thing. I haven't played, and have heard mixed things about it. Worth a call ahead if you really want to see it; the owner a few years ago said he planned to take it private, arguing the course was "too good to be a public course." Said to still have some public access, but I honestly haven't followed up.

A good friend and golfer, whose views I trust, came back from a recent round at Wild Rock with good things to say about it. Strictly carts; the course is affiliated with the Wilderness Resort up in Wisc. Dells. I have yet to play.

http://www.wildrockgolf.com/

A decent bet not far from Madison -- 45 minutes or so -- is Old Hickory GC, dating back to 1920 with most of an original and interesting nine designed by Bendelow still intact, expanded to 18 in the 1960s. Well-regarded; hosted the State Am last year:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36792.msg753023/topicseen/

Here's a lengthy review of Janesville Riverside, about 30 miles down the road, where Matt Rose learned the game :):

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40066.0/

Andy North's Bergamont is about 15 south of Madison, an easy trip. I played it right after it opened, and it was still a little rough around the edges, but others like it a lot. Some attempts at Midwestern links-style golf:

http://www.thelegendatbergamont.com/

Greg Martin has done two well-regarded courses in the area: The Oaks, outside Cottage Grove, about 10 miles east of Madison, and Glen Erin, near Janesville. I like Glen Erin better, but both feature some solid greens and good bunkering. Here's my review of GE:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39725.0/

Spring Valley is quite good, a fairly untouched original Langford, but a hike from Madison -- at least 90 minutes.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »
Brad,

I'll follow up on those IM's tomorrow.  You and Dick remain my favorite cheeseheads in the entire free world. 

Mike

Brad,

You are, however, secondary to the cheeseheads he likes in the not-so-free world.  Bogey, Im curious to know what you teach cheeseheads every summer.  Southern sayings, how to shoot (and eat) roadkill, why Nash-ville is more than just the grand old opry?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Brad,

Mike

Brad,

You are, however, secondary to the cheeseheads he likes in the not-so-free world.  Bogey, Im curious to know what you teach cheeseheads every summer.  Southern sayings, how to shoot (and eat) roadkill, why Nash-ville is more than just the grand old opry?

JC, it is indeed in large part a cultural exchange.  To a lesser extent, real estate loan portfolio management at the Graduate School of Banking.  This year's primary topic - resume preparation.

Debt is an unforgiving and inflexible master.
- Mark Twain

Professor Bogey

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »
It's not that far from Madison to Blue Mound...

???

Doug Ralston

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »
Brad,

Mike

Brad,

How many rednecks to eat a possum? Three, one to eat the possum, two to watch for cars.

Doug former Tennesseean! Wha bout dem VOLS!!!!!
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
It's an hour or so.

Well, yes, I drive out that way every few months or so...

But what's out there? The Norsk course is in Mt. Horeb, not Blue Mound (but this is getting pretty geographically esoteric), and I'm not entirely sure of its pedigree, although there are some hints out there.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »
It's an hour or so.

Well, yes, I drive out that way every few months or so...

But what's out there? The Norsk course is in Mt. Horeb, not Blue Mound (but this is getting pretty geographically esoteric), and I'm not entirely sure of its pedigree, although there are some hints out there.

Dan Moore told me that Norsk GC is Langford, I have not played it however.  Based on our correspondance, I figured if anyone is qualified to say whether a course is or is not a Langford, he is .  As for distance, mapquest says 30 minutes from downtown Madison.  30 minutes is not far at all.

Chris

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
Chris:

I've been out to Norsk and played it! It seems to have some Langford-esque looks to it -- a few raised greens, a couple of blind-ish tee shots, a few other odd looks to it. But it's a real basic course. I just haven't gotten around to digging through county land records to see if there is anything there, and haven't made any headway in some emails I've sent the club. It's a real mom-and-pop outfit, and houses a four-lane bowling alley in the clubhouse that generates winter revenue.

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
Mike,

No Seattle gig this year?

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »
Wild Rock is pretty good Mike
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »
Mike,

No Seattle gig this year?

I'll be in your fair city the week beginning August 31st.  I'll be  the one wearing a patch madras shirt.  See you then.

Bogey

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
Chris:

I've been out to Norsk and played it! It seems to have some Langford-esque looks to it -- a few raised greens, a couple of blind-ish tee shots, a few other odd looks to it. But it's a real basic course. I just haven't gotten around to digging through county land records to see if there is anything there, and haven't made any headway in some emails I've sent the club. It's a real mom-and-pop outfit, and houses a four-lane bowling alley in the clubhouse that generates winter revenue.

The aerial of the course and pictures of the course on their website does make it appear basic.  I figured if the Langford greens were there, it would be worth a trip - sounds like that may not be the case.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back