News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: My new favorite....
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
Chip, join the club: though through the grace of God (not to mention the largesse of men ;) ) there is much golf course architecture yet to be discovered.

More so than any other course I've played, Shinnecock made me regret that I'm no longer a low handicapper.  

Bogey (no kidding)
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
Bob,

That one gets bashed around the head at Shinnecock is one of the great myths of that game.

It is more Muirfield than Carnoustie, and more Pinehurst than Oakmont.

Mike,

I wasn't bashed about the head in 1976, in fact I was in the mid seventies from the back markers but I do know my limitations. Today I think I would have a pretty rough time of it.

Bob

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »
Bob,

I suspect that you'd find Shinnecock would cede to the wisdom and cagey wiles you've gained over that time as concession for any strength and stamina lost.

In fact, I'd wager a pint on a smart golfer like you over a talented bomber at Shinnecock over almost any course that comes to mind other than perhaps Merion and TOC.

DMoriarty

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 08:07:48 PM »
Bob,

I suspect that you'd find Shinnecock would cede to the wisdom and cagey wiles you've gained over that time as concession for any strength and stamina lost.

In fact, I'd wager a pint on a smart golfer like you over a talented bomber at Shinnecock over almost any course that comes to mind other than perhaps Merion and TOC.

Huh? You got so carried away kissing Bob's "cagey wiles" that this sentence doesn't even make any sense.  

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 08:39:02 PM »
Ummmm...

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob for a few days a couple of years ago...

I think I was trying to tell him that I thought Shinny is the type of course that would yield to smart, intelligent play even as one lost stregth and distance over time.

Not even sure why I'm explaining myself but I'm certainly not trying to communicate anything but respect for both of them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:47:06 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
Shinnecock favors intelligent play over brute strength more than courses like NGLA, Cypress, Monterrey, Maidstone, and San Francisco?  I've never played Shinnecock, but somehow I think this might be the minority opinion.     Also, I am not sure that the rough lining the narrow fairways at modern Merion is at all favorable for the less strong player.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:15:05 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
Can someone explain how #7 at Shinny qualifies as a Redan?  I was there that fateful day in ought-four when the golf balls of the world's most tempermental golfers failed to stay on the green.  One has nothing to do with the other but, from the pictures I have seen and the google earth overhead, the ball cannot carom onto the putting surface as the latter is raised above the groomed area short front and right.  If this is classified as a Redan, it's a poor one.  There is little tilt to the green, which is barely hidden behind the bunkering.  Takers?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »
in match-play,

Please give me Corey Pavin at Shinny over any other course listed for smart, strategic golf, and let me also throw Riviera, Merion, TOC, and Shinny as the cream of the crop of courses where I'd give up 50 yards or more off the tee and instead bet on a man with cunning and guile any day of the week,

NGLA, with all due resoect, requires too many forced carries, especially on approach shots.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:46:11 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
As I said, I haven't played Shinnecock.    It sounds nice.

I'll take Bob's word as to how it compares with NGLA.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »
Shinnecock favors intelligent play over brute strength more than courses like NGLA, Cypress, Monterrey, Maidstone, and San Francisco?  I've never played Shinnecock, but somehow I think this might be the minority opinion.     Also, I am not sure that the rough lining the narrow fairways at modern Merion is at all favorable for the less strong player.

David,

You, the most vigorous defender of rectitude and fact finding to write of Monterrey pains me, we live on the Monterey Peninsula. ;D

Bob

Tim Bert

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:22 PM »
Shinnecock always looks fabulous yet very intimidating to me in photographs.  As someone that tends to spray the ball off the tee at times, it looks like the kind of course where I'd be very pleased to break 100 with my 10 index - and I'm not talking about playing from the US Open tees.

DMoriarty

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
Shinnecock favors intelligent play over brute strength more than courses like NGLA, Cypress, Monterrey, Maidstone, and San Francisco?  I've never played Shinnecock, but somehow I think this might be the minority opinion.     Also, I am not sure that the rough lining the narrow fairways at modern Merion is at all favorable for the less strong player.

David,

You, the most vigorous defender of rectitude and fact finding to write of Monterrey pains me, we live on the Monterey Peninsula. ;D

Bob

Monterey?  Next you will tell me is that it is not Caramel.

DM

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »
Can someone explain how #7 at Shinny qualifies as a Redan?  I was there that fateful day in ought-four when the golf balls of the world's most tempermental golfers failed to stay on the green.  One has nothing to do with the other but, from the pictures I have seen and the google earth overhead, the ball cannot carom onto the putting surface as the latter is raised above the groomed area short front and right.  If this is classified as a Redan, it's a poor one.  There is little tilt to the green, which is barely hidden behind the bunkering.  Takers?

RM, I've never been on the course (driven through it though) but, I know from discussions on this site that the tee was moved to another location. Perhaps that's why it may not appear to be a Redan?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
Can someone explain how #7 at Shinny qualifies as a Redan?  I was there that fateful day in ought-four when the golf balls of the world's most tempermental golfers failed to stay on the green.  One has nothing to do with the other but, from the pictures I have seen and the google earth overhead, the ball cannot carom onto the putting surface as the latter is raised above the groomed area short front and right.  If this is classified as a Redan, it's a poor one.  There is little tilt to the green, which is barely hidden behind the bunkering.  Takers?

I'm with you.  It is an absolutely gorgeous hole to photograph with the clubhouse on the hill in the background, but I found it starkly out of place and virtually  unassailable without a high cut.  I don't by the arguement that the movement of the tee matters.

Bogey
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:31:02 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brad Swanson

Re: My new favorite.... New
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I can't think of too many one-shotters that would be harder after the first play than the 11th at Shinnecock.  Having only played it once, I can't say, but knowing just how good my lone tee shot on that hole was after getting a look at the green up close, I'm not sure I'll be able to execute anything nearly as good if I ever have the pleasure of another loop.  Seeing the table top drop-off behind the green is certainly the wow, WOW experience that Chip had.  Short looks pretty bad from the tee, but long really gets your attention once you get to the green.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:10:08 PM by Brad Swanson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back