News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Forest Dunes (Weiskopf) vs. Treetops, Belvedere
« on: July 11, 2009, 05:58:10 PM »
I am hoping  to visit Michigan later this year. Besides  Crystal Downs or Kingsley, which of the above would be good for "backup" rounds of my trip. I always equate Weiskopf with great par fours, how are the par threes and par fives at Forest Dunes. Are there any modern courses at Treetops that have better routings/holes than Belvedere ?

Thanks !

George Freeman

Re: Forest Dunes (Weiskopf) vs. Treetops, Belvedere
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
I would say that the par 5 and 3s at Forest Dunes are equally as interesting as the par 4s.  I think it's a pretty good bunch and would agree that Forest Dunes would be a good option after CD and KC.  Your other obvious option would be Arcadia Bluffs. 

From a GCA standpoint, I think you would get a lot more out of Belvedere than any of the Treetops courses.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »
I've not played Forest Dunes so I cannot opine.  I am not as high on Arcadia Bluffs as other Michiganders are but it does provide for spectacular vistas while you play, otherwise, good but not great golf.

Belvedere would fit in nicely with your trip if you are looking at classical architecture.  So basically, what George said.

Above all, if you have the chance, an extra round at Crystal Downs would far surpass an initial round at these three.  If you do decide on Belvedere and need a fourth, send me a PM as I'm 5 minutes away! :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »
I always equate Weiskopf with great par fours

Without meaning to get off topic--I found this comment very interesting. My favorite Weiskopf course, Forest Highlands Canyon, has a number of great par threes and fives. Although one could still argue the two most famous holes on the course are fours: 9 and 17.

If you're driving up and are in the area then Tullymore and/or Lost Dunes are both well worth the effort. Neither are that close to Crystal Downs and Kingsley, but the chances of going by one or the other on the way are pretty good.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
In a July 2007 trip I played Kingsley, Arcadian Bluffs, Crystal Downs and Forest Dunes in that order.  Haven't played Belvedere but would surely like to.  I would play Forest Dunes before Arcadian Bluffs, Kingsley and Crystal are in the top tier of that crowd.  Forest Dunes is pretty much all good golf holes, and goes in and out of those two environments in an entertaining way.  The 10th hole is a seriously tough bugger of a long par 4.

Jon Heise

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:31:46 PM »
I'll say Forest Dunes.  While none of these courses are lightweights by any means, Forest Dunes is a very unique experience, unlike a lot of other MI courses.  Its simply the best maintained course Ive ever seen, and the greens are extremely fast, extremely contoured, extremely fun.  Arcadia of course, is a little closer to your trip.  The views are as good as Ive ever seen, and the golf is underrated.  Didnt exactly love it first time around, but as I got more rounds in, grew to really appreciate it.
I still like Greywalls better.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:16 AM »
 8) we've ridden around Forest Dunes and it looks very good.. hope to play it finally end of july, definitely there before Treetops, hell Black Forest before treetops!

The real issue is which direction(s) you're driving to/from, where are you staying .. it can take some time to get across the state

good pizza at Carruso's in Alba
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:45:46 AM »
I played Forest Dunes last July, and it was an awesome experience. However, I personally, liked Arcadia much better. Here are a few teaser pics from my round there last summer...

I'll play Belvedere next summer....
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:19:52 AM »
As one who loves playing on heather-lined courses in England (Beau Desert, Delamere Forest, Alwoodley), I loved this look on a few of the forest holes at Forest Dunes:

This was one of the elements I liked best at Forest Dunes.  Thanks for posting this photo, Rich.

David Neveux

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
I'll nominate Forest Dunes over anything at Treetops all day everyday.  Belvedere is one still on my radar, but it's been getting a lot of attention here lately and I don't doubt it's merits.  Sounds like a steal too!!  I know someone mentioned Black Forest as well, I would definitely see that before anything at Treetops as well, a very cool course with some tough greens. 

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »
Forest Dunes, hands down, no debate.
Jim Thompson

Tim Book

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »
Played Forest Dunes, Tullymore, Arcadia, Pilgrim's Run, and Shepard's Hollow in early fall 2006.  Enjoyed Forest Dunes, but I think I enjoyed Tullymore even more.  18th at Tullymore is one of the best risk/reward par 5's I have played.  I don't think I can remember contemplating a second shot any longer than on that hole.  Golf course discussion not withstanding I believe dinner at sunset on the deck at Arcadia Bluffs is one of the best pleasures in golf.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 11:21:36 PM »
Forest Dunes 7
Arcadia Bluffs 3

If I had 10 rounds...love that place.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
I thought it was Forest Dunes, Treetops or Belvedere?  ;D

Tough call with FD vs Belvedere, I love both of those courses!!!  Treetops, not so much.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:48:16 AM »
Treetops is a lot of golf compressed in one location, with a lot of other courses nearby.  But personally, I found almost nothing memorable about Treeptops other than the Par-3 gimmick course, the "Threetops."

Forest Dunes is a wonderful track, but in a somewhat isolated location, driving-wise.

In proximity to CD and Kingsley, your better bets are (to the north) Antrim Dells and Belvedere, and (to the south) Arcadia Bluffs.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »
I would play Forest Dunes 8 times out of 10 over Belvedere.  While Belvedere is a neat old course I thought holes 2, 3 and 5 were borderline dog track material.  The back nine was cool.  Just not into as much as others on the site but still good.  I have been to Treetops a few times like 10 years ago and while not playing it I can see from seeing it Forest Dunes is a much better play.  So, Forest Dunes is your answer.  If you're looking for something closer to Kingsley and CD then Arcadia hands down.

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »
Agree with Brian regarding Treetops.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back