News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Just a little history from Leith, well facts taken from Campbell's History of Leith.

Hope you find it interesting - its all about golf pre 1830's, with names of early Kings and importing golf balls from Holland. Also makes the Edinburgh Golfing Company look young when formed in 1744.

Enjoy if you like a little history of golf.

Its all golf balls to me

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

Re: Some History From 30.07.1831 Article called "Leith Golfing"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
They drank so much claret, no wonder your eventual trophy became a jug to hold claret.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
What’s the old saying

Waste not - want not 8)

After all, are we not the men from Scotland and like to get value for our money >:(

Melvyn

What’s a gallon each between friends?  The first round! ;)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:31:32 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
So they put a stop to importing golf balls! Did they also rev up the distilleries so that they could put a stop the the importation of claret?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »

No, but had close relations with the King of France, sorry his son via Mary Queen of Scots

We don't waste our money, booze or women, practice makes perfect is another old saying, I believe and boy oh boy do we like to practice. The only time golf is off the menu. :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :-X :-X :-X :-X :P :P :P :P

Melvyn 8)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »
The article is incorrect, Melvyn....they claim that golf ceased to be played with "a free and frank hilarity".

Obviously, they've never seen my game!  ;)

Thanks for the great article.  ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »

Mike

Did that not cease when it was exported to the US of A   >:( ;) >:(

Slowly getting back in time, just need to trace the 1603 charter.

Melvyn

Doug Siebert

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:08:12 AM »
So when did the "mingling freely" of golfers of different classes cease and it became more of a pasttime of the upper classes?  Maybe the industrial revolution with its long workdays did it in?  Or maybe that has always been the case in Scotland it was in America that it was seen primarily as a sport for the idle rich?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back