News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: ASGCA
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
Paul,

Good to hear from you. I hope that spider bite has healed.

Around here, I guess ASGCA is about as welcome as a turd in the punchbowl.  So be it. I think its a natural progression of the fact that TD isn't a member by choice and the also natural desire to root for the underdog, i.e., talented young gca's like Mike Nuzzo.  I understand how all that combines into sort of an anti-establisment type agenda.  

I really have no problem with anyone asking questions and your post puts a lot of my thoughts in perspective about what ASGCA has meant to me over 28 years and why its so hard for me to understand the vitrol thrown at it by some.  I DO occaisionally get frustrated when some seem to think that by definition, we aren't the brightest bulbs in the gca universe, so I will post the following:

The first shot is my butt and the second is a big hole in the ground! Now, no one can honestly say that I don't know the difference!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
Paul,
Thx....
Jeff,
I just gave that photo to a Gay golf architect friend of mine....he thinks it's HOT....can I give him your cell.... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
Jeff,

I just gave that photo of a giant hole in the ground to a gay golf course rater friend and... well never mind!  ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Lester George

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
Nicely said Paul.  My journey into the Society was rather unorthodox as well but I had many of the same aspirations and goals. 

Having been elevated to to regular member status just this year after three years as an associate means I have attended just two annual meetings (did not go to Scotland).  I must say the interaction with other members has been very interesting and in some cases educational and rewarding. 

I think Jeff and Forrest have given fair and compelling answers to some tough questions and have stated with accuracy the goals and positions of the ASGCA.  Their answers will not, however, please those who don't understand the organization and never will.  This seems true with any debate on professional organizations. 

Not taking the "traditional route" into the ASGCA meant it would take me many more years than some others to become an associate.  This was my choice.  Not one I would recommend for those trying to "fast track" but it did help me stay focused on a goal and taught me some much needed patience.  Even though I spent almost 4 years as an apprentice to another (member) architect, I decided early on not to use any of my work with him as my five courses. 

By the time I did apply, I had only my work being considered which meant there was no question I could not answer about my projects.  This was valuable to me and I think it made a difference to the interviewers as well.  It is not a popularity contest and a "good-ol-boy" club as some have suggested.  My interview process was tough and professional.  I have interviewed for jobs in the military that were easier.  It was demanding and professional.

Lester   

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »
Demanding and professional.  Lester, I think that is exactly the way ASGCA wants it to be.  Of course, I understand the dissapointment of those who don't fare well in the process.

Ben,

I should point out that I haven't been President for 14 years, so when I say I will bring it up, it will carry all the weight of a long past has been in the group!  We are concerned about our perception, naturally, but again, many issues raised here have been mulled over by some pretty bright minds and we are where we are.  I guess after all the dust settles the governors of the society right now will probably weigh 60 years of traditon a bit heavier than a post on golf club atlas.

That said, you never really said how YOU would think ASGCA would be better, even if I think it might be implied.

Ben Sims

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
Jeff,

So you're saying that you're the Jimmy Carter of the ASGCA community?  I like boiled peanuts, and habitat for humanity is a big hit, so there's still hope!

As for what I--the mid twenties dude with no discernible connection to the golf industry--think that the ASGCA could do to improve their image and operations?

1) Seriously look at how they can reach out to young talent and foster their development through professional mentoring.  Match Mike Nuzzo up with Bill Coore for instance.  Make some sort of program that involves mutual site visits, conversation, etc.

2) Reevaluate the membership process.  Completely scrap the interview and membership board processes.  Have applicants submit a concise resume that includes three courses of their choosing.  ASGCA membership board then assigns two members per course in that region to review the courses and report back.  Try to assign objective "point values" to aspects of the resume, i.e., being the principle of a firm and actually having to sell your product should earn more objective points than being an associate, etc.  The vote should be put up to the entire society as a whole at the annual meeting.  The applicant should be able to address the entire membership in either written or verbal form to let them know "what he's about".

3) Form committee's as liaisons to different sectors of the game.  Make an equipment committee to communicate and investigate how architects and equipment manufacturers interact for the benefit of the game.  A committee to interact with the GCSAA. Make a tour committee to liaison to all of the different tour's concerns, make an outreach committee to research how to affect programs like First Tee.

4) Talk to colleges and universities--like the GCSAA does--to develop something to educate and teach.  An MLA is the closest thing to a course in golf architecture at this point.

Okay, that's all I got right now.  I am sure you could pick most of that apart.  Some of it is really good, some of it is merely conjecture to lofty goals.  But I do think that all four of those points would help the society to accomplish their vision and mission statements.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:34:45 PM by Ben Sims »

paul cowley

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
....that's pretty much what we do.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2009, 10:38:49 PM »
Ben,

Like Paul said, that is pretty much what we do, save for the educational programs, where we philosophically differ with the Euros who have one and a formal (to date) match up program with non member and members. Mike Nuzzo is screwed of course, because we have often exchanged ideas on gca and if he listens to me much longer he will be building them upside down, backwards and purple......

We used to be sponsors only right to the direct members meeting, with very little work on the membership chair.  We added the executive committee interviews precisely because some people sponsored too casually and also because its harder to know everyone in the biz like the old days.  We wanted more review, not less and the process got expanded. I think it works welll.

If you as a gca buff doesn't have a clue that this is what we do, I think we ought to redouble our efforts to highlighe what we do or try to do for the industry. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »

If you as a gca buff doesn't have a clue that this is what we do, I think we ought to redouble our efforts to highlighe what we do or try to do for the industry. 

Jeff,

I feel that's a good place to leave this.  I think we all got something out of this little 5 day exercise.  Thanks for your involvement.  And to everyone else that chimed.  It seems that feelings run deep for and against the ASGCA.  I hope to see an evolution, but it's not up to me nor do I have any vested interest compared to many on this site.  I was just stimulating conversation and voicing my own issues while learning more about the organization. 

John_Conley

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:24 PM »
It seems that feelings run deep for and against the ASGCA. 

An overwhelming majority of golfers don't care.  Of those that do, it is a pretty small minority whose feelings are against the Society.  For those, you are right about the deep part.

Sean_A

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »

An overwhelming majority of golfers don't care.  Of those that do, it is a pretty small minority whose feelings are against the Society.  For those, you are right about the deep part.

John

Not to be harsh to those in the ASGCA, but I agree with you.  I could care less about a professional organization, society, association whatever.  It sounds to me like a bunch of guys who care about something get together once in a while and discuss their profession amongst other topics.  How could I possibly be against something like this?  This thread, while perhaps helpful for some, has been totally bizarre.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Lou_Duran

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2009, 11:55:01 AM »

John

Not to be harsh to those in the ASGCA, but I agree with you.  I could care less about a professional organization, society, association whatever.  It sounds to me like a bunch of guys who care about something get together once in a while and discuss their profession amongst other topics.  How could I possibly be against something like this?  This thread, while perhaps helpful for some, has been totally bizarre.

Ciao

Really.  First the Merion threads.  Now this.  The passion for esoterica on this site is incredible.  I can understand how the archies and the wannabes looking from the outside might get their dander up over membership requirements deemed too difficult to meet (I was a bit disappointed when the head pro at Crystal Downs told me I had a near zero chance of gaining membership in my lifetime).  I am sure glad that we had the opportunity to educate the resident Society members and through them the Society at large.  Perhaps now that we've reformed the Society and got it pointed in the proper direction, maybe we can focus our attention on socialized health care, carbonless energy, and the re-regulation of the U.S. economy and provide President Obama and the Democrat congress the benefit of our boundless wisdom.

A special thanks once again- how many times has the ASGCA come up over the years?- to Jeff and other stakeholders for the candor and measured discussion.  Not being a member of the ASGCA would not preclude me from hiring an architect, but the amount of due diligence I would have to do in order to do so would increase.  If I was acting in the role of a fiduciary, e.g. hiring an architect on behalf of an institutional client, it would be much easier and probably safer to pick someone from the list.  Particularly in dealing with government clients, being a member must be a huge advantage.   

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »
Really.  First the Merion threads.  Now this.  The passion for esoterica on this site is incredible.  I can understand how the archies and the wannabes looking from the outside might get their dander up over membership requirements deemed too difficult to meet (I was a bit disappointed when the head pro at Crystal Downs told me I had a near zero chance of gaining membership in my lifetime).  I am sure glad that we had the opportunity to educate the resident Society members and through them the Society at large.  Perhaps now that we've reformed the Society and got it pointed in the proper direction, maybe we can focus our attention on socialized health care, carbonless energy, and the re-regulation of the U.S. economy and provide President Obama and the Democrat congress the benefit of our boundless wisdom.

A special thanks once again- how many times has the ASGCA come up over the years?- to Jeff and other stakeholders for the candor and measured discussion.  Not being a member of the ASGCA would not preclude me from hiring an architect, but the amount of due diligence I would have to do in order to do so would increase.  If I was acting in the role of a fiduciary, e.g. hiring an architect on behalf of an institutional client, it would be much easier and probably safer to pick someone from the list.  Particularly in dealing with government clients, being a member must be a huge advantage.   

Lou,

What in the world does this have to do with this thread? How are us "wannabes" supposed to learn how to become members of the only established society of the trade.

Also, what amount of due dilligence would be required to refer messers Young, Nuzzo & Doak given your esteemed position on this site?

Wyatt

Tom_Doak

« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
Lou:

Your last statement is probably the greatest bone of contention here.

Why is it safer to pick someone from the ASGCA than someone who's not in it? 

That question leads back naturally to what are the qualifications, and whether anyone who's qualified is automatically admitted.

You are right that many organizations will confer additional status to an architect who puts ASGCA after his name, without understanding how one becomes a member.  But, since you now understand the process, do you still automatically assume that Mike Benkusky, ASGCA (to choose just one member at random who doesn't have a lot of name recognition) is a safer or more qualified choice than Mike Young?

That said, I do not understand the prurient interest of some of the younger board members who are not golf course architects, unless of course they think they're going to be one someday.

Ben Sims

« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
Damn, I promised myself that I was done with this thread and it had run its course.

I have to say that Lou's post struck me as odd.  Aside from the obvious rant, what were your motives Lou?  

Sorry, but I think that the vetting and/or due diligence for an architect should be based solely on their qualifications.

Furthermore, as someone who spends far too much of their pay on travel to study golf courses, it's my honor to be able to question those that provide the product.  By the way Lou, as a taxpayer, I EXPECT you to question the manner in which I do my job.  You are the customer for a product that we provide.  The onus is on you to ensure that we provide it efficiently and ethically.  

Why am I so wrong for wondering the same things about the only professional organization for a field that I love?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:19:10 PM by Ben Sims »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »
[Lou,

What in the world does this have to do with this thread? How are us "wannabes" supposed to learn how to become members of the only established society of the trade.

Also, what amount of due dilligence would be required to refer messers Young, Nuzzo & Doak given your esteemed position on this site?

Wyatt

Wyatt,

As with many internet communications, it is difficult for me to tell if the comments/questions are rhetorical, facetious, or serious.  I will assume that yours are in the last category and respond accordingly.

If I was aspiring to pursue a career in a certain field, I would likely seek guidance from successful practitioners and related professional organizations directly.  As we have all seen on this site, there are a good number of gcas who are very willing to help.  The ASGCA is hardly a secretive body.  They have a website, a live secretary who actually answers the phone, and you can often find a few members at golf industry gatherings.  Other than perhaps offering some opinions on their sartorial choices, I think that outsiders telling the ASGCA how it should be structured and conduct its business is a bit arrogant and pretentious.

Regarding your second question, the "me" and "I" was meant to be general- a person choosing an architect- not literal.  I happen to know the three gentlemen you mentioned and have some familiarity with their work.  If I was acting in the role of an owner/developer, I would not have to do very much due dilligence to choose among the three.  However, if I was advising a client or had financial partners to satisfy, a longer list and greater scrutiny would likely be necessary.             

Mike_Young

« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
Lou,
Hope you are well.
Your logic is understandable at first glance and therein lies the problem for me.  As I have stated over and over and really did not mean to comment again.....I have no problem with individual ASGCA members.  It is not my place to judge their abilities as golf architects....the ASGCA has written requirements that they supposedly have submitted and met the minimum number of courses.  No problem there with me....but make it the same for any architect that has shown such. To keep it simple..you have to have a vote of 9 peole on the board...that's it. 
If the public perceives the ASGCA as some type of organization that you could use to aid in selecting an architect, yet the membership is determined by a vote of a board of governors after meeting the objective requirements of the organization......then IMHO it is flawed.... And it is because of your chain of logic above that I always argue this point....
Come to GA sometime soon.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2009, 08:23:50 PM »
Lou:

Your last statement is probably the greatest bone of contention here.

Why is it safer to pick someone from the ASGCA than someone who's not in it? 

Because getting into the Society requires a certain level of achievement, the vetting process and peer review are extensive, and in the context I referenced (advising an institutional client), membership in a widely recognized professional organization connotes a level of expertise and competence.

That question leads back naturally to what are the qualifications, and whether anyone who's qualified is automatically admitted.

The operative word is qualified.  If anyone who wanted in got in, membership would not be worth a whole lot.

You are right that many organizations will confer additional status to an architect who puts ASGCA after his name, without understanding how one becomes a member.  But, since you now understand the process, do you still automatically assume that Mike Benkusky, ASGCA (to choose just one member at random who doesn't have a lot of name recognition) is a safer or more qualified choice than Mike Young?

If Mike Young was an equal unknown, the fact that Benkusky is a Society member tells me that at least he has completed the requirements for membership, and can build a golf course.  The only thing I would know about Young is what he says on his resume.  Presumably I could verify his claims, but I can confirm relatively quickly Benkusky's minimal credentials on the ASGCA site.

That said, I do not understand the prurient interest of some of the younger board members who are not golf course architects, unless of course they think they're going to be one someday.

Ditto.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »
Lou,
Hope you are well.
Your logic is understandable at first glance and therein lies the problem for me.  As I have stated over and over and really did not mean to comment again.....I have no problem with individual ASGCA members.  It is not my place to judge their abilities as golf architects....the ASGCA has written requirements that they supposedly have submitted and met the minimum number of courses.  No problem there with me....but make it the same for any architect that has shown such. To keep it simple..you have to have a vote of 9 peole on the board...that's it. 
If the public perceives the ASGCA as some type of organization that you could use to aid in selecting an architect, yet the membership is determined by a vote of a board of governors after meeting the objective requirements of the organization......then IMHO it is flawed.... And it is because of your chain of logic above that I always argue this point....
Come to GA sometime soon.
Mike

Mike,

First of all, I am generally aware of your troubles with the Society.  Though not entirely analogous, I know an individual who was black-balled at a Top Five golf club by a member who was a business competitor and apparently did it (opposed my acquaintance's nomination) to protect his financial interests.  The spurned candidate was asked some years later to resubmit his application, but his pride or sense of having been slighted wouldn't allow it.  I think it is his loss, and hope that you will not make the same mistake (he would say that it is not).

Second, I think you and all other architects have every right to question the Society and its policies.  To the extent their requirements are arbitrary and capriciously or politically applied, the Society would be "acting stupidly" if it refused to change.  Being that it is an organization made of imperfect humans, mistakes will be made.  I don't sense that the problems are institutional or systemic, but I can see how personality and other non-performance/qualification issues might crop up from time to time.

Any organization that precludes qualified members from joining for competitive reasons risks losing its stature and encourages those unfairly rejected qualified candidates to form their own competitive professional organization.  However, an organization that has very minimal standards and offers membership to anyone willing to write a check probably is of very little benefit to its members.

Lastly, my "chain of logic" is really not how I think about architects and other professionals, but how the world generally works.  The interests of those buying architectural services are often not the same as of those wanting to do the work.  A developer may wish name recognition to sell memberships and/or lots.  A city manager may want a "credentialed" individual he can sell to his political superiors with minimal opposition.  A consultant advising a lender and a developer has little to gain going with a lesser known architect, particularly when the professional design fees are not a major component of the overall project costs.  To the extent that the list contains qulified providers, the main concern- the success of the project- is satisfied.  That some deserving candidates failed to make the list is at most an opportunity cost to the client. 

I suspect that a primary objective of those seeking membership is that it helps them to differentiate themselves from the competition.  It is an additional credential, maybe a tie-breaker in a few rare instances.  Perhaps being a member leads to referrals.  Maybe some business is simply generated by a potential client perusing the ASGCA website and finding a local member which he then proceeds to contact and develop personal rapport.

There are excellent architects who are not Society members.  Wyatt mentioned three that I know.  Some people are simply not joiners.  Others like you have had an unfortunate experience.  A number have not had the opportunity to develop their resume.  There is also reason to believe that like with every other profession, some do not have the "necessities" to qualify.  Though the market for the foreseeable future appears unfavorable, the one upside is that the ASGCA stamp of approval is not a requirement to be hired.  Hopefully the barriers to entry will be kept to a minimum, though I have to believe that the current yearning for government regulation in most aspects of our lives may seep into this as well.  Hopefully the Society will not lobby for licensing under its auspices as a condition of employment.  If it does, get the pitchforks out.

See you at the Dixie Cup?

P.S.- why doesn't your partner do Jim Thorpe impressions on the Golf Channel?  You'd think he'd throw you a bone once in awhile.  BTW, I think you're much funnier.

P.S.2- did I tell you that my member friend at Reynolds brought his large group out to LS and they were all blown away?  I think he said that with a maintenance budget approaching one of theirs, LS would be far better than anything at the Plantation.  And that ain't benign, feigned praise!       

Ben Sims

« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2009, 12:23:43 AM »
Lou,

Esoteric or not, that was well thought out and written.  It was most cathartic compared to your first post on the thread.  Thanks for the addition.  Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.

And your member friend out at Lake Oconee is right about LS. 

John_Conley

« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2009, 12:28:11 AM »

Sorry, but I think that the vetting and/or due diligence for an architect should be based solely on their qualifications.

Isn't it?

Ian Larson

« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »
"However, an organization that has very minimal standards and offers membership to anyone willing to write a check probably is of very little benefit to its members."

This couldn't be anymore false. GCSAA. I've been a member for 14 years ever since I was in turf school and have been to every national conference since. Each one packed full of educational seminars, not to mention all of the podcasts and at home continuing education courses I've taken over the years. Let's also not forget the countless relationships and networks I've been lucky to make.

And you know why Lou? Because that organization was willing to "lower their standards" and "take a check" from a nobody. But that nobody was a young passionate "kid" that wanted to persue a career and do it for more than a paycheck. I can't imagine where I'd be without having a good professional organization to help guide me through my career.

Now, as I'm finishing an autocad course and taking landscape architecture classes at UCLA, what professional organization will I have as I aspire to finish my career building and designing golf courses? I will certainly maintain my GCSAA membership so I can continue to have that resource. Because from what I'm reading in this thread I'm not going to have the ASGCA to be there for me like the GCSAA. Hell I may NEVER have the ASGCA!

I understand it's a "society" and they can run their organization anyway they choose, I just think it's a damn shame that they can turn their back on a guy like the Mike Youngs, who could be me or many other youngsters passionate about GCA. I believe that the ASGCA does stand for something and holds a credibility, but I'm very discouraged with thinking someone young like me could ever be a part of it unless I'm very very lucky with my path taken.

Ben Sims

« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2009, 12:43:08 AM »
John,

If it's "easier" to select someone because of membership to a society--as Lou pointed out yesterday--then in my opinion, that is not vetting based on qualification.  I think that's also what Tom and Mike Y. were both saying.

Mike said, "If the public perceives the ASGCA as some type of organization that you could use to aid in selecting an architect, yet the membership is determined by a vote of a board of governors after meeting the objective requirements of the organization......then IMHO it is flawed"

Tom said, "why is it safer to pick someone from the ASGCA than someone who's not in it?  That question leads back naturally to what are the qualifications, and whether anyone who's qualified is automatically admitted."

I have begun to understand both why this debate is so polarizing and that there are great aspects to being a member.  It seems as though some have conceded that there is a perception issue with the society and it is worth exploring how to remedy that.  

John_Conley

« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:54 AM »
Ben, the path your on here appears to me to lead you to a dead-end or off a cliff.  I'm not sure which.

Are you comparing ASGCA to what preceded it (nothing)?

Are you comparing ASGCA to other clubs where admission isn't guaranteed?

Are you comparing ASGCA to what you think it should be?

Sure seems like the latter, which is the part that seems puzzling.  To me.  To Mike Young.  To Tom Doak.  (Unless I don't comprehend their posts.)

Isn't this like the BCS discussion?

If you compare the way Division I college football crowns its champion today it is better than everything the preceded it.  If you compare it to an NFL-style playoff, which most fans agree would be cool, it falls short.  You can't be what you aren't.

Do you want ASGCA to be like the USGA where I can join if I send in my 20 bucks after seeing Arnold Palmer on the commercial.  (Maybe those were a long time ago.  Do they still advertise or is there a new spokesperson?)

Do you have a problem that ASGCA is more like admission to one of our nation's miliatary academies where a student needs solid grades, a decent board score, and a letter from a member of Congress recommending them?

I think - call me crazy - that a group should decide who gets to be a member.  (I'm not in any groups, which causes one to immediately think of the "I don't want to be a member of any group that will have me" mindset.)  If a Toastmasters group is racist or a doctor's association is sexist there is probably a wrong to right.  If the ASGCA says, "applicants need to pass review of our present members," it hardly seems the same.

There's another issue here, which you mention, and that's one of perception.  If a layperson believes an ASGCA member is the only person capable of designing a golf course it is not the fault of the ASGCA, for they do not perpetuate that misconception.  If a layperson believes that every ASGCA member is more qualified than everyone that is not a member the person is flat-out stupid.  That would be the same as saying the worst MBA is a superior business person to every person with merely a college degree.  It is preposterous that someone could think that.  (I do, however, see how someone could think you had to be an ASGCA member to design a golf course, as if it was some kind of licensing like an M.D. or D.D.S. has.  This would only last until someone told them it isn't like that and then it wouldn't come up again.)

I don't see how you can blame an organization for how it is perceived if it has not done things to warrant that perception.  But, but, but....  Ben, there's really no systemic problem here that is crippling golf.  Tom Doak gets work.  Mike Young gets work.  Tons of guys that are ASGCA members are struggling as a result of the domestic slowdown in course starts.

I don't see a polarizing issue at all.  Most golfers don't care.  The architects that question the value of ASGCA are the ones that aren't members.  This is no different than in the financial services industry with the CFP designation.  Folks without it tell clients they don't need it, and those that do say it is proof they meet certain standards and are qualified to recommend investments.  Have you already been on a quixotic crusade to right that perceived wrong, or is that your next target once you've cured ASGCA?  Honestly, your endeavor here makes no sense.  And please spare us the, "I'm just curious about something I've never understood..." talk because your curiosity has only recently been piqued when you were made aware of the inner workings of the Society.  I find your whole approach disingenuous.

You think the process for admission is flawed.  In all of these posts on the thread you will find people that explain why the process is what it is and why it is likely to remain that way, or at least so similar it is essentially the same.  What I don't think you'll find much of (if at all), and I'm not going back to read all the comments, are people telling you that you aren't allowed to think it is flawed.  To borrow an overused cliche from five years ago, "it is what it is."

Ben Sims

« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »
John,

Okay.  You cured me!  All it took was that post.  I now believe the ASGCA to be the standard bearer for all things golf architecture related.  Their process to become a member is as perfect getting into a service academy.  It wasn't any of the great posts by Jeff or Forrest that explained the processes or how they operate, it was you John!!

Your "crusade" to tell me I'm wrong for even wanting to discuss this subject is just as odd and disingenuous as my desire to begin the discussion in the first place.  Why are you so threatened by this thread?  Jeff and others certainly took it in a good direction, which is more than I can say for your latest post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back