News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: PG Muni Finally Crowds out it's Own Golfers
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »
I'm not seeing why they can't continue to keep lower rates for city/county residents while increasing green fees for out-of-towners?

This really does sound like a crummy gig especially in light of the numbers Stan has reported.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »
I suspect 80% or more of their rounds are played by residents. So to make a meaningful increase in income they'd have to increase non-resident fees by 50%-100%, resulting no doubt in fewer non-resident rounds.

In other words, they're looking where the money is just like Willie Sutton robbing banks.

JohnV

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
JVB,

I am aware that Pajaro is privately owned (by Pete Galea's father-in-law, as I recall), and that is why I used it as an example.  I am surprised that they are contemplating a larger clubhouse, but if they are, I am sure it is in response to customer demand as opposed to non-economic factors (such as the alleged motivations for PG's expansion).  Do the words "ever got the approval" to do something on their property on their dime not bother you just a little bit?

Lou,  Getting approval doesn't bother me one bit when it involves builiding a bunch of houses that will put a strain on the local infrastructure, adding more holes which will bring more traffic to an already busy area and more water in an area that has a severe water problem.

JohnV

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
Here is an article from the Monterey Herald on the reopening of Monterey Pines:

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_12889514?source=rss

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
I suspect 80% or more of their rounds are played by residents. So to make a meaningful increase in income they'd have to increase non-resident fees by 50%-100%, resulting no doubt in fewer non-resident rounds.

In other words, they're looking where the money is just like Willie Sutton robbing banks.

Brent, You were right, about ten years ago. 80% of revenue was from 20% of the play. And vice versa. As I stated earlier, this was a most profitable scenario. When I first visited the course, the green fee was $23.75.(1995) By 1997 the fee was closer to $35. During those years they were banking in the neighborhood of half a mill a year. And that was with plenty of new equipment purchases and new GM offices and upgraded maintenance facilities.

David, The front nine was sold to the city with the proviso that it would remain a greenbelt and expressly for the recreation of peninsula residents.

What most of you likely do not understand is the club culture that existed at this course was one of the best, if not the best, at a public course in this country, if not the world.
People who became regulars respected each other, the rules, the sport and the grounds. You did not see the poor behavior you see everywhere else. The men's club held a tournament every other week and women were welcome. All the games, policies and procedures were based in equity and fairness, after having played them for over 50 years.

The rest of this countries public attempts to have proper golf are a joke compared to the way this place was. The interaction of people was top notch. Even with people being people, everyone knew who to watch closely, or, who it was in their nature to fudge. Yeah they might have gotten away with something every once in a while but this was the exception and not the norm.

This is a great loss to the all the people who were fortunate to participate.

I did learn a saying during my time there, and I assumed it was a California thing, that has apparently now turned into a national one. "It won't take long for someone to ruin somebodies good time" or words to that affect.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back