News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: 2009 Senior British Open - Sunningdale
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
I am a links man and hope they go back to kinks after this year.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Randy Haag, one of the leading amateur golfers in Northern California for more than a decade and many time club champion of the Olympic Club, has qualified to play in the British Senior Open. I believe he is still competing as an amateur. I will be very interested to see how he does.

He'll be lucky if he breaks 80.  He's won some really big tournaments including the Crump Cup but this is out of his league.

Whoa. You can't be serious? What is it about a 6,600 yard inland golf course that would prevent Randy from breaking 80? Golf is golf, and he's damn good at it too!

The fact it's at a non-links course should make him more competitive. I played with Randy in a couple of NCGA events and we struck the ball comparably but he beat me by 3 & 7 shots... He's got a very tidy short game, so I would think he can get it round Sunningdale in the 70s unless the occasion overwhelms him.
Next!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »

Tiger congratulations, the greatest TYOP in GCA history. ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
Sorry but I just need Kalen to see this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8163206.stm

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 01:17:11 PM »

Tony,

Just cause the schmoes at the World Cup decided to allow that mess don't mean its right.  After all, the author got it right in making the distinction that one was from Ireland and the other Northern Ireland.   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:21:07 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »

Tony,

Just cause the schmoes at the World Cup decided to allow that mess don't mean its right.  After all, the author got it right in making the distinction that one was from Ireland and the other Northern Ireland.   ;)  ;D

No Kalen read it again

"Rory McIlroy will make his debut for Ireland at the World Cup in China in November, with fellow Northern Ireland player Graeme McDowell as his partner."

;)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:47:09 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »

Tony,

Just cause the schmoes at the World Cup decided to allow that mess don't mean its right.  After all, the author got it right in making the distinction that one was from Ireland and the other Northern Ireland.   ;)  ;D

No Kalen read it again

"Rory McIlroy will make his debut for Ireland at the World Cup in China in November, with fellow Northern Ireland player Graeme McDowell as his partner."

;)

Well then, I had it exactly opposite.  They are both from Northern Ireland, so the World Cup boys got it right, and the writer obviously can't keep his countries straight.   ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »
Back to the subject.

Tom Watson is paired with Greg Norman and Sandy Lyle for the first 2 rounds.  I would expect the crowds to be large.

David_Tepper

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
There will be 2 hours of TV viewing both Thursday & Friday in the U.S. on TNT. Hopefully, they will be able to squeeze 45-50 minutes of golf in between the commercials! ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
Wayne,

Because it really is the British Open or more accurate the UK Open.  They haven't even gone to Ireland to host it yet IIRC..

Wrong, Kalen, Royal Portrush in 1951. 

Bill,

That's not Ireland and a McBride should know that.

MacBride wouldn't have to know that, but McBride must know that.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
I'm officially feeling picked on now....but I will say this before I slink away with my tail between my legs.

In that context, every Open is just another "open" including the UK Open which is now no longer "The" Open in my book.   

P.S. Thanks for the support Bill...even though you started it.   ;)

Reminder!

For those of you not keeping track, the international pick on Kalen day is coming up on August 7th.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Benham

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »

Funny, I would have thought you were a suspenders guy ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »

Yep, I can recall walking into a high street men's shop many years ago and asking for suspenders.  I was told the shop didn't have a ladies department in the a most cordial manner without any other explanation.  Think of Are You Being Served. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 04:38:10 AM »
There is an awful lot of codswallop being talked about the UK / Ireland / Republic of Ireland / Northern Ireland split in this thread... too much to correct...

Instead I'll correct the first couple of posts which stated that the Senior Open had been held away from links courses before... It has not... This is a first for the senior open...

And the commentator referring to it as a parkland course is not a million miles away from the truth... Of course it is heathland but with the proliferation of trees that have grown up over the years and stifled the heather, its character has changed somewhat...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »

Yep, I can recall walking into a high street men's shop many years ago and asking for suspenders.  I was told the shop didn't have a ladies department in the a most cordial manner without any other explanation.  Think of Are You Being Served. 

Ciao

You might have fared better if you had asked for "braces." 

Unless you were in Anthony Gray's office.  ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »
With the greatest respect to Sunningdale which is one of my all time favourite venues the Seniors Open is the ideal event for R Aberdeen, Porthcawl, Saunton, Dornoch, Deal et al. Courses that tick 8/10 boxes for the Open but not all of them.
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »
Mark

I concur with your thoughts but I've always wondered why dont they follow the Open Championship venue with B2B Tournaments ? Could the courses condition "hold up"  ?

David_Tepper

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »
Jamie Barber -

The Senior Open has already been held at Royal Aberdeen.
Tom Watson was the winner there in 2005.

The Euro Senior Tour is playing some pretty nice courses this season - Ballybunion, Royal Portcawl, Sunningdale, etc.!

DT

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:01:26 AM by David_Tepper »

Jamie Barber

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 05:47:54 AM »
David - yeah I know - I got a bit OT and I was referring to The Open (not the senior)

Mike Benham

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »
Randy Haag, one of the leading amateur golfers in Northern California for more than a decade and many time club champion of the Olympic Club, has qualified to play in the British Senior Open. I believe he is still competing as an amateur. I will be very interested to see how he does.

He'll be lucky if he breaks 80.  He's won some really big tournaments including the Crump Cup but this is out of his league.

Haag shot 75-71=146, with the cut at 144 ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Birkert

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
I popped down today to watch a few hours play and it was lovely to see the course had dried out. The subtlety of the greens is causing many of the players problems, and they are running at about 11 on the Stimp.

It looks like a score of -14 will be enough to win, and I think the course has stood up pretty well to the talents of these wonderful players.

The players themselves have been most friendly, and very complimentary about the course which is nice to hear.

David_Tepper

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »
Tom B. -

Fred Funk was VERY complimentary about the course on the U.S. telecast after the 1st round. Of course, he had just shot a 64, so he was in a good mood for sure. But he did say he liked the look, feel and layout of the Old.

Of course, there are some of us who think the New course might be a bit better than the Old.

DT   

Jason McNamara

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Dies Sunningdale have any iinput regarding the choice of course? 

David_Tepper

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2009, 11:29:35 PM »
Jason -

Sunningdale Old is certainly regarded by the "golf establishment" as the better of the 2 courses. Clearly, it is the better known of the two, as it has hosted a number of major golf tournaments and events over many decades. I am not sure any golf tournament of note has ever been held on the New.

I was fortunate enough to play both courses in one day almost 25 years ago. I remember being very impressed by the New, but maybe that was because I knew so little about the course and had low expectations. It is hard to think of a 36-hole golf club with two better courses than Sunningdale.

DT

James Boon

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2009, 06:34:53 AM »
I have to admit to being suprised to see the Senior Open played over an inland course, but its nice to see Sunningdale on the TV. However, lets hope they go back to links courses from now on...

Not wishing to dig up the earlier OT issues on this thread but the R&A do confuse matters over it being the British Open, and the Ireland connection. They play Local Qualifiers over courses in the Republic of Ireland. I seem to recall they used Royal Dublin this year.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back