News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: 2009 Senior British Open - Sunningdale
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »
If it weren't such a political minefield, I'd be amused that Americans still feel they want to lecture the British and Irish on Irish geography (and, by implication, politics).  As Tony says, the clue to where Northern Ireland is is in the name.  It really isn't that difficult to understand.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 06:46:07 PM »
Cmon Bill,

Just admit you were wrong.

Northern Ireland not = Ireland....

;D

Kalen you are getting in deep here.  Lets just say that anyone born in Northern Ireland can have an Irish passport if they choose. The clue is in the name of the place, Northern IRELAND You said they haven't even gone to Ireland.  Please send Bill the money to buy us a couple of pints of Guinnesss at the Buda cup and I''m sure we'll forgive you.

And if you think I'm giving you a hard time just hope Jack Marr doesn't see this.

Tony,

Northern Ireland is not Ireland, simple as that....Just like North Korea is not South Korea, North Dakota is not South Dokata, and heaven forbid West Virginia is not Virginia. ;D

You can spin it anyway you like but at the end of the day Ireland not= UK.  ;)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
I think the big problem with many on that list is location. The Open is a real big earner for the game of golf, it raises lots for all areas of the world. Going to a Dornoch would just yield too little £££. Deal & Portrush have staged opens so I suppose were ommitted from that list. I think the R & A would like a Welsh venue and a South/West venue, Porthcawl ticks a lot of boxes but obviously not them all, it must be the frontrunner though if they are looking.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »
Kalen - Technically you are correct and they are two different countries however if a Brit goes to Belfast he says "he is going to Ireland". I think Brits think of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland more like 'states' and whilst there is good rivalry there are no borders.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »
Cmon Bill,

;D

Where did I say it did?  I very carefully labeled Northern Ireland as "Northern Ireland," identified County Armagh (a home county in Ulster) as the source of my Irish roots, and labeled the rest of the island of Ireland as "The Republic of Ireland." 

What part of this did you not comprehend?  Hmmm?  ???

David Kelly

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
Kalen - Technically you are correct and they are two different countries however if a Brit goes to Belfast he says "he is going to Ireland". I think Brits think of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland more like 'states' and whilst there is good rivalry there are no borders.

That's the Cromwelllian view at least.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
When it comes to rugby "Ireland" includes both the Republic and Northern Ireland and they don't go out of they call the team "The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland" rather than "Ireland".  They also currently have the best team in the Northern Hemisphere.  So Ireland can mean the island, not just the country.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 09:50:11 PM »
I knew I was not in Kansas anymore when I found a crown on my Guiness glass at Portush...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »
I knew I was not in Kansas anymore when I found a crown on my Guiness glass at Portush...

Surely you were pleased that the Queen herself was guanteeing a proper measure!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »
Cmon Bill,

;D

Kalen you are getting in deep here.  Lets just say that anyone born in Northern Ireland can have an Irish passport if they choose. The clue is in the name of the place, Northern IRELAND You said they haven't even gone to Ireland.  Please send Bill the money to buy us a couple of pints of Guinnesss at the Buda cup and I''m sure we'll forgive you.

And if you think I'm giving you a hard time just hope Jack Marr doesn't see this.

Tony,

Northern Ireland is not SouthernIreland, simple as that....Just like North Korea is not South Korea, North Dakota is not South Dokata, and heaven forbid West Virginia is not Virginia. ;D

You can spin it anyway you like but at the end of the day SouthernIreland not= UK.  ;)

Kalen I've amended your Quote so it makes some kind of sense.  Goodbye.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
Royal Aberdeen is a good shout for a "possible" - not too near any existing hosts and in a large population centre with good(ish) transport links.

How about Saunton for a south-west location? Not that I can see the R&A looking for *any* new host courses - which is a shame.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »
Is there any reason to believe the R&A is looking for new venues?  Hoylake was recently re-included (with mixed success, in my view); Carnoustie and Turnberry recently rejoined the rota after long absences.  With St. Andrews every five years and Muirfield and Sandwich pretty solid, it seems pretty crowded already.  I suppose you could substitute a course for Lytham or Troon and no one outside of those areas would be too upset. 

If they were to go somewhere else, it would make sense to me to make a big splash, such as returning to Portrush or hosting the first Open in the Republic of Ireland at Portmarnock. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
At the expense of not dragging this thing further....I'll remove any mention of Ireland and just refer to the UK.

So how about this.  The UK open is not really an "Open" because its never been played outside of the UK.  Is this fine?  Can everyone live with that?   ;D

Long live the "UK Open"!!!   ;)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
This thread has gone well off topic, but Kalen Open was a term that The Earlof Eglinton and his committee meant a golf championship to allow participation from all classes.

Mike Benham

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »

So how about this.  The UK open is not really an "Open" because its never been played outside of the UK.  Is this fine?  Can everyone live with that?   ;D

As you know, the term Open has nothing to do with where it is played but who can attempt to qualify for play.

And its The Senior Open ....
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »

As you know, the term Open has nothing to do with where it is played but who can attempt to qualify for play.

Mike,

How can you squelch such an entertaining unenlightened post. Shame on you.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »

Mike,

How can you squelch such an entertaining unenlightened post. Shame on you.

Bob
;D ;D  You guys need to leave Kalen alone.   ;D ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »
I'm officially feeling picked on now....but I will say this before I slink away with my tail between my legs.

In that context, every Open is just another "open" including the UK Open which is now no longer "The" Open in my book.   

P.S. Thanks for the support Bill...even though you started it.   ;)

Philippe Binette

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »
By the way, the R&A doesn't rule the game in Canada, the Royal Canadian Golf Association does.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 10:01:36 PM »
By the way, the R&A doesn't rule the game in Canada, the Royal Canadian Golf Association does.
Philippe - not to go all Bill Clinton on you but I think that depends on how you define "rule".  

The R&A sets the rules of golf for all countries other than the US and Mexico.  But each country generally has a governing body - such as the RCGA in Canada and Golf Australia in Australia that runs their own national championship, maintains a handicapping system, promotes the game, etc.  (Hopefully Matt McKay can chime in here as he is with the RCGA)

I don't even think that the R&A is technically the governing body for golf in the UK as there are organizations like the Scottish Golf Union and the English Golf Union that perform that role in much the same way as the RCGA in Canada, although their roles may be more limited to just the amateur game.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:45:42 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »
I'm officially feeling picked on now....but I will say this before I slink away with my tail between my legs.

In that context, every Open is just another "open" including the UK Open which is now no longer "The" Open in my book.   

Some might call that "support."

Mike Benham

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2009, 11:41:23 PM »

Kalen, Bill et al -

I am man enought to admit that I made a mistake, please accept my apologies.

The proper name of the tournament, it is "The Senior Open Championship presented by Mastercard"

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 12:07:34 AM »
People on The Golf Channel have been calling Sunningdale a parkland course.  Isn't it a heathland course?  Or is the difference negligible (I was under the impression that there was a tangible difference).

I can't wait to see it this weekend.  I love seeing courses I've played on TV.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Pearce

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2009, 01:55:56 AM »
People on The Golf Channel have been calling Sunningdale a parkland course.  Isn't it a heathland course?  Or is the difference negligible (I was under the impression that there was a tangible difference).

I can't wait to see it this weekend.  I love seeing courses I've played on TV.
Tim,

They're idiots.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2009, 08:52:19 AM »

Kalen, Bill et al -

I am man enought to admit that I made a mistake, please accept my apologies.

The proper name of the tournament, it is "The Senior Open Championship presented by Mastercard"

If that's the answer, I forget the question!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back