News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

South Shore (Stiles and VanKleek) Boston
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »
Mendik and Labbance spoke highly of this course in their book.  It appears to be on a nice piece of land in Hingham. What are some the best  holes ?  Are some of the Stiles  and VanKleek  green complexes intact ?

thanks

Brad Tufts

Re: South Shore (Stiles and VanKleek) Boston
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »
Hi Mark,

South Shore is a treat, and I have played there three times total, twice with Michael Moore of GCA fame.  I'm not quite sure how much of Stiles and Van Kleek's greens remain, but I am guessing that there is still quite a bit remaining.

I would recommend the course to anyone looking for a good example of Stiles work.  The course is nothing fancy, but there are strong shot values and a low-key muni attitude that is devoted to the game and nothing more.  The course follows the land with skill, and there is not an awkward hole to be found.

Highlights include:
#1's cool green (driveable par 4, about 300 yards)
#2's high pt. to high pt. par 3 (160)
#3, fun par 5 of 530 with a blind second shot
#5-#7, a few semi-blind shots on three strong par fours (420, 430, 380), #6 is the strongest with a blind drive over the brow of a diagonal hill.

#12 might be the best hole at South Shore, a VERY tough tee shot to a hogback fairway with something less than driver leads to a blind second up a hill.
#15 is a cool uphill par 5 that bends slightly right.  For the tiger, the tee shot can be played over some trees to get a look at the green in two.
#16 is a nice par four with a hard right to left sloping fairway, but the green slopes hard the other way!
#17 is a cool uphill par 3 with two tiers.  An old back tee was recently restored to make this hole play close to 220 like it did years ago.

The only weak points are the par 5s the end each nine that are shortish, but creeks fronting both greens keep you honest with a fairway wood attempt.

Add in a $45 price tag, and South Shore might be the best deal in Mass.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brad Tufts

Re: South Shore (Stiles and VanKleek) Boston
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
Hey Llama, how bout a bump, you know, for the effort...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back