News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Take Your Best Shot Melvyn !
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »
Even Mel from Scotland has to love this AMERICAN tradition!

NANTUCKET, Mass. — At Sankaty Head Golf Club, a circa 1923 links course that features a working lighthouse and hugs the shoreline in Siasconset, some wait a dozen years to join a membership roster that includes Jack Welch, the former chairman and chief executive of General Electric, and Bob Wright, the former chairman of NBC Universal.

But for 79 years, Sankaty has widened its circle to visitors from places as far flung as the streets of Washington Heights and the countryside of Ireland. Each June, about 60 boys, ages 13 to 19, report to Camp Sankaty Head, stationed between the 11th and 13th fairways. The club is one of the last remaining caddie camps in the nation.

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/sports/golf/23caddies.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=caddy%20camp&st=cse

And it brings back memories of this classic thread:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37780.msg779045/#msg779045

I think I prefer my "Caddy Camp" at Newport, but I would send my son to Nantucket!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:14:40 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Anthony Gray

Re: Take Your Best Shot Melvin !
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »

I think the caddy is a vital part of the golfing experience. I would love to caddy for Melvyn.

Anthopny

Rich Goodale

Re: Take Your Best Shot Melvin !
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »
Thanks for posting that reference, Mike.  I saw it on the NYT web this morning and was uplifted.  If you want a mid-Atlantic opinion, there is NOTHING like what Sankaty Head is doing in Scotland or even the rest of the UK.  Kudos to Bill Dow and all the other Sankaty members.  You have created a gem of a program.  Cherish and nourish it.

Rich

PCCraig

Re: Take Your Best Shot Melvyn !
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
Sankaty Head is a very very good golf course.

In addition to the caddy program, it actually opens its doors to the public Oct. to May every year for a reasonable fee. A few years ago we went out there in Oct. on a long weekend from school and played 4 times over a weekend, spending a night. (Granted there isn't a whole lot going on during the off season on the island).
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »

Mike

OK show me the course, where is it, all I see is some parkland, I see no course, no hazards, I see nothing.

Caddies, I think the original idea of caddies were to carry your clubs then if you had a bad round shoot them and treat them as whipping boys. However, there are good caddies on TOC, well did you see Home of Golf tv video clip on TOC caddie talking about attacking the Road Hole.

Sorry Mike, I would comment but can't see the course - blood pressure rising and I might, just might throw my club through the air, no, cooling down, not going to loose my cool or what ever is left of my reputation, not for a stupid little tantrum because someone has hidden the course.

Mike, you got my attention now what do you want?

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »
...Sorry Mike, I would comment but can't see the course - blood pressure rising and I might, just might throw my club through the air, no, cooling down, not going to loose my cool or what ever is left of my reputation, not for a stupid little tantrum because someone has hidden the course.

LOL
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »

Garland

I’m not in the Masons so can you tell me what LOL means.

No, I will not stitch up Anthony although that black MX-5 springs to mind. I am just so tempted but I might be accused of Un-American Activities, so if you do not mind I will continue to plot and plan the total independence of Fife from first Scotland, then GB. I have a cunning plan. I will use the revenue from the Links Trust to run Fife. I am hoping to get some financial support from your CIA for destabilising an unpopular regime known & run by the non-elected Prime Minister Brown.

Viva Fife Viva TOC.

If the revolution succeeds we have plans to sell of The Castle Course to the highest bidder – that’s should show what all think of it and what real value they put on her.

Oh yes you may note that all citizens of Fife – that are in the new Independent Kingdom of Fife will have new surnames. This is to help out and attract overseas visitors to our newly formed Nation. Names can be confusing and when on a golfing holiday can be embarrassing if you cannot remember the name of your host. We know what you guys are like after half a dram, so to make life easier for you (we know how you like the easy life), we have decided to be called Morris prefixed by either Old Tom or Young Tommy subject to age. Men will as now be allowed to marry women or sheep depending upon the dowry, although we expect a potential war with Australia on that last point. They are demanding we honour our export agreement on sheep. Could be tricky as Colin is thinking of moving to Fife so may want a few million sheep.

Sorry totally lost, golf is a hard game even if you are not playing, so am going to seek comfort with a single malt (as I live in a sheep free zone).

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
Melvyn,

If you are going to use the web, you have to learn the lingo!

LOL is short hand for laughing out loud, and is applied to the things seen on the web that make you laugh out loud.

Bill McBride may need to invent a new one along the lines of
IMBANC BYPMMECTMNOM

I must buy an new computer. Because, your post made me expel coffee through my nose onto mine.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Melvyn,

If you are going to use the web, you have to learn the lingo!

LOL is short hand for laughing out loud, and is applied to the things seen on the web that make you laugh out loud.

Bill McBride may need to invent a new one along the lines of
IMBANC BYPMMECTMNOM

I must buy an new computer. Because, your post made me expel coffee through my nose onto mine.

Please translate "IMBANC BYPMMECTMNOM" from the Elfish into English, TVM.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back