News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: Is there any real debate about Tiger's standing ? OT
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2009, 06:44:45 AM »
BTW, as to the original question:

No, and not even close.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim Nugent

« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2009, 08:35:19 PM »

Jim

Hmmm, so because the powers that be were racists, none of the white guys were great?  Very dubious logic.

Ciao 

The logic is that the old-timers compiled their world-beating records against minor league competition.  So the records should not count. 

Sean_A

« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »

Jim

Hmmm, so because the powers that be were racists, none of the white guys were great?  Very dubious logic.

Ciao 

The logic is that the old-timers compiled their world-beating records against minor league competition.  So the records should not count. 

Jim

So now all the white players were minor leaguers?  This gets better and better.  Was there majors back then or were all the teams minor leagues except the negro leagues?

I think you are so far off base that its truly startling.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jim Nugent

« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2009, 03:45:15 AM »

Jim

Ciao 

Jim

So now all the white players were minor leaguers?  This gets better and better.  Was there majors back then or were all the teams minor leagues except the negro leagues?

I think you are so far off base that its truly startling.

Ciao

Funny how you and I have the same view of each other's ability to reason through this. 

It was minor league -- a lot of it -- because that's where so many of its players ended up, as soon as black players were allowed to play.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
With Tom Watson leading the Open I thought it was only appropriate to bring this thread back.  As I recall there were many that would not concede that Nicklaus had greater competition at the top than TW.  I would again reiterate the point.  Current golfers may go deeper but the talent at the top is not what it was.  The current Open leader at age 59 seems to validate the point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back