News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Are Par 3s Harder to Design Than 4s and 5s?
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »

Other than distance how can the architect put variety in par 3s. They do not usually have fairways so this takes away some creativity. On flat courses you cannot use elevation changes. Is differing green complexes the architects main tool? Hazards? Do we see par 3s with a higher percentage of water hazards than 4s and 5s?

Anthony

Mark Pritchett

Re: Are Par 3s Harder to Design Than 4s and 5s?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »
I would guess the angles from the tee boxes to the green complexes would factor in as well.

Bases on the Par 5's I have played it seems to me it is that a really great or even really good three-shotter is harder to pull off.  I hope some of the architects chime in on this subject. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
Short holes in my opinion are much easier very often they can fit into more difficult land situations and into more radical situations involving the better use of natural features, also they can involve using a very small land parcel perhaps 1 acre per par 3.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
One puts as much time and effort into the greens and the surroundings to put what little strategy you can into a one shoter, after that itīs pure art but that is the fun and creative part! ::) :P

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
Short holes in my opinion are much easier very often they can fit into more difficult land situations and into more radical situations involving the better use of natural features, also they can involve using a very small land parcel perhaps 1 acre per par 3.

Adrian,

Nice insight. At times par 3s are used in routing to tie holes together, How often are sites found that just cry out for a par 3?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »

Adrian,

Nice insight. At times par 3s are used in routing to tie holes together, How often are sites found that just cry out for a par 3?

Anthony

Forrest tells the story about a piece of property where the land was so difficult in one section that it would not make a decent par 4 or 5. So he proposed putting in back to back par 3s that would work nicely there. Unfortunately the client would have none of it, and nixed the back to back par 3s.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back